Author Topic: texture warping on large ships  (Read 2894 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
texture warping on large ships
Just wondering, has anyone seen a kind of 'warping' effect on large (custom) shiips, where it looks as if the face is 'flexing'.  I have this on one of my big models, and was wondering how to sort it.  I've tried triangulating, but it doubles the poly-count of the main hull to (almost) Colossus levels - 1200 polys (w/turrets included) to be exact.

any suggestions why?  I'm using a Voddoo 4 at 1068x800 res, Direct3d (glide no work   ) if that could be a factor.  anyway, cheers.

Offline The Claw

• Run! Chickens Incoming!
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllll.... I've had that problem with the original ships in the game, and I've had to reinstal it everytime...
 But that, if it's custom only, sounds kinda like the UV-Mapping is't on right. Try retexturing and reconverting the model, maybe that'll help. Might also wanna check the textures, although I'm not sure if that'd cause that.

------------------
"Supernova, ya supernova, supernova goes pop
supernova, ya think it's over but the supernova don't stop" PM5K
Death:"Arnold Judas Rimmer... your life is over. You will travel with me to the-"
#knees death in the groin#
Rimmer:"Remember matey, it's only the good that die young"
"Do not fear the chickens. Become one with the chickens. Respect the chickens and... #BOK!# LEG IT!!!"
The Claw- Project Coordinator and modeller of Alternate Reality and official spare wheel of The Perfect Storm...
"I love the English for three reasons. One, we always beat you at rugby. Two, your wives are always friendly. Three you fought like devils to save us" Old French bloke at my uncles pub.
"One has plenty of time for contemplation while waiting for the endless waves of bad doggie werewolf monsters that chew your toes while you sleep"-Dradeel, BG2

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it's a bad face, triangulate the ofending face(s).

------------------
Bobboau, bringing you products that work.............. in theory
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Either the faces where it happens are a bit unflat, or you have no-good uv projection angles for the problem faces. That'd be my guess.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Could it be if I'm re-scaling the model?  Because I was thinking maybe the UV Map was having troubs with that (although it is a big face).

(10:25 GMT - timecheck -ignore)

[This message has been edited by aldo_14 (edited 05-28-2001).]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Well, Ifigured I oughta bump this, seeing as I'm having the problems still  

Anyway, fro the previous answers I guess I should triangulate the face - but how do I do that?    

I  have fixed the problem before by traingukating the model, but in this case that'll up the faces to over 1000   - so I'm kinda stuck.

[This message has been edited by aldo_14 (edited 05-30-2001).]

Offline The Claw

I am also having problems now... are you using Truespace 5?

------------------
Death:"Arnold Judas Rimmer... your life is over. You will travel with me to the-"
"Do not fear the chickens. Become one with the chickens. Respect the chickens and... #BOK!# LEG IT!!!"
The Claw- Project Coordinator and modeller of Alternate Reality and official spare wheel of The Perfect Storm...
"I love the English for three reasons. One, we always beat you at rugby. Two, your wives are always friendly. Three you fought like devils to save us" Old French bloke at my uncles pub.
"One has plenty of time for contemplation while waiting for the endless waves of bad doggie werewolf monsters that chew your toes while you sleep"-Dradeel, BG2

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by The Claw:
I am also having problems now... are you using Truespace 5?

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure TS1 gave me the same problems.

NB:  Have you ever had any problems with gluing turrets... I've been having problems with FS2 / FRED2 crashing after I've glued 2+ turrets to the hull - even though it works perfectly with 1 turret only.

[This message has been edited by aldo_14 (edited 06-02-2001).]

Offline The Claw

Ya, occasionally... I just reload the models and glue 'em again, an it's fine tho... strange really.
 But I figured what the problem was, I made my custom textures too small, so I just cracked open PSP and re-tiled it, problem solved... hopefully the model will be ready tonight  

------------------

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by The Claw:
Ya, occasionally... I just reload the models and glue 'em again, an it's fine tho... strange really.

Hmm... doesn't seem to work for me atall.  Did you glue a light to the main hull of you ship when you made it - it's the only thing I haven't tried yet. NB: The Andromeda looks nice  

------------------
http://uk.geocities.com/gunnery_control/index.html
   [email protected]  

"I awake to see that no-one is free,
we're all fugitives, look at the way we live"

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you do not want to do that^

you have unflat polys, use the polygon draw tool to triangulate them or better yet use the fuse vertices tool,
:note: if you have TS1 your screwed.

------------------
Bobboau, bringing you products that work.............. in theory
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together