Author Topic: A modest table mod. +Questions.  (Read 1585 times)

A modest table mod. +Questions.
Hello,

A long time ago I did this "Inertia" or "realflight" thing after I enjoyed BTRL thoroughly, by stealing Sushi's tables and adding lots of damp to all the fighters, basically.
I have now revisited the idea.
What this small table mod does is that it makes all fighters faster, allows them to move backwards and sideways like only the Shivan fighters could do originally, and gives them a whole lot more damp. Basically, it makes fighter combat a bit more like Wing Commander Prophecy and Diaspora.

Once again, the original table was stolen from Sushi (I am quite sure I asked permission two or so years ago, so mabye it's not theft this time 'round). Compared to the original mod, a few more tweaks have been made, and the whole thing is a whole lot more consistent.

However, since I am taking a small break from playing FS2 right now, I'd want to put what I made (the bare bones basics) out there, and see what the feedback is.

What this currently does:
- Sushi's Speed and Acceleration values
- Vanilla rotation values.
- +0.5 damp on all fighters (Btrl's Viper MK2 had 0.7 damp AFAIK, and now most FS2 fighters have it too).
- Myrmidon can use harpoon missiles now
- Artemis DH is now a little bit faster and has the Herc MK1 turning speeds.

There are a few things I want this thing to have:
- A seperate TBM that enables "glide" (AKA Shelton Slide) - Currently, this mod does not have glide enabled - Retail compatability was a requested feature last time I did this, and now it is. You don't get your glide yet though.
- AI that can actually use said glide.

I am also very interested in SCP enhancements that have been made to improve these sort of "Pseudo Realistic" flight mechanics, and any critisism on how the ships handle right now. I do eventually plan to turn this into a more full blown mod.

Potential improvements:
- Increase firing rates for all weapons (or enable "Chain Fire", but that's an FSO feature) so that fighter cannons become a bit more like the GAU 8 and such. DPS will be kept the same.

So! Have fun, try it, and please provide feedback.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: A modest table mod. +Questions.
Well, the first two suggestions upon reading would be to enable Use Newtonian Dampening (lose speed on turns) and also additive weapon velocity, both in ai profiles.

Both are FSO features, which add a bit to "realistic" flight model (hah). You could also make the max speed ridiculously high and have everything be limited by acceleration of you wanted to be *really* realistic.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
How badly does this break balance?
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Well, the first two suggestions upon reading would be to enable Use Newtonian Dampening (lose speed on turns) and also additive weapon velocity, both in ai profiles.

Both are FSO features, which add a bit to "realistic" flight model (hah). You could also make the max speed ridiculously high and have everything be limited by acceleration of you wanted to be *really* realistic.

I don't want to be realistic, I just want to be more like Diaspora.

How badly does this break balance?

I need a bit more testing to be entirely sure of that (it's a wip), but the fighter-fighter relations seem to be relatively intact. The biggest problems are currently in the mission designs themselves, especially in the cases where you need to prevent a capship from causing damage - you can reach the capship much faster, and capship speed was unchanged.