Author Topic: Upcoming models now with P3D!  (Read 12885 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Upcoming models now with P3D!
I don't think changes are needed. 150k is fine, polygons are not what kills FSO. You could gain a lot more performance by making it not use 7-8 large textures, like Scooby is prone to doing. The general rule is, the less textures, the better. IIRC, it's even better to use a 4096^2 than 4 2048^2 textures when it comes to FSO performance, I believe it was once tested somewhere.

A ton of detail goes away at LOD 0, that cuts the polycount down quite a bit.

Anyways the whole hanger has been replaced.  There was a bug here a bug there, better to start from scratch.  Now with a fly through hanger instead.

Edit: Also my video card can't handle 4096 res textures.  If I ever get to redo the textures for these ships I'm going to double down the uvmap size.  That should cut the texture count down quite a bit.  Also the bathroom tiling doesn't work very nicely with detailed hull.  I really need to find something better.

At least when I around to doing the kilrathi ships, I can make changes.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 01:13:11 am by Scooby_Doo »
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I like the flythrough hangar idea. How about adding some missile launchers and 1-2 plasma turrets? It was always an "assault carrier", meant to operate alone. It makes sense for it to have some armament, and we've already got a "normal" carrier in this size class (the Nimitz).