Author Topic: Weapon causes CTD  (Read 3714 times)

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Alright, this is driving me to distraction. :banghead:

I've been trying to get this one weapon to work, but it causes CTD about 25% of the time when it hits a target, and I can't figure out why.

I'ma go over the model again (it's literally a resized/reskinned FS1 Fury because it's a dead ringer), but here's the table. Maybe there's something I'm missing.

Code: [Select]
$Name:                                 Hunter CSM
+Title:                                XSTR("Hunter Long-Range Rocket", -1)
+Description:
XSTR(
"Heavy Guided Rocket
3375m Range, Fission Type
Gun-Type Fission Warhead
Suitable for Anti-Bomber
", -1)
$end_multi_text
+Tech Title:    XSTR("Hunter Long-Range Rocket", -1)
+Tech Anim:    Tech_Cyclops
+Tech Description:
XSTR(
"Though the Hunter lacks some of the raw damage of the Decimator, the addition of an IFF-based homing unit allows it to be used effectively against smaller or slower targets, like bombers. Due to the simplicity of its manufacture, it's also used as a long-range torpedo by Star League and independent capital ships.", -1)
$end_multi_text
;; The Emalgha also get a hold of these after --REDACTED--
;; Some League ships (Heirophant, Repten, etc) are built to spam these en masse to overwhelm point defense
;; many Hunter warheads are recycled nukes from as early as the 1950s, keeping costs quite low
$Model File:                    EVO_Hunter.pof
$Mass:                                  50.0
$Velocity:                              225.0
$Fire Wait:                             10.0
$Damage:                                800                                    ;; damage applied when within inner radius
$Damage Type: Explosive
$Blast Force:                   650.0
$Inner Radius:                  25.0                                     ;; radius at which damage is full (0 for impact only)
$Outer Radius:                  50.0                                    ;; max radius for attenuated damage (0 for impact only)
$Shockwave Speed:               80                                              ;; velocity of shockwave.  0 for none.
$Armor Factor:                  1.2
$Shield Factor:                 1.0
$Subsystem Factor:              1.0
$Lifetime:                              15.0                    ;; temporary fix for problem locking onto big ships.
$Energy Consumed:               0.0
$Cargo Size:                    15.0
$Homing: YES
+Type: HEAT
+Turn Time: 2.0
+View Cone: 60.0
$LaunchSnd:                             86 ;;EVO Rocket sound
$ImpactSnd:          88
$FlyBySnd:                              -1
$Rearm Rate:                    0.05
$Flags:                                 ("player allowed" "Bomb" "Huge" )
$Trail:                                                                              ;; Trail cannot be set if Exhaust is set
+Start Width:            2.5                                             ;; Width of trail nearest missile
+End Width:            1.75                                            ;; Width of trail before it "evaporates"
+Start Alpha: 1.0
+End Alpha: 0.0
+Max Life:                          1.5
+Bitmap:                        MissileTrail05
$Icon:                                  iconmissile11
$Anim:                                  LoadMissile09
$Impact Explosion:     expmissilehit1
$Impact Explosion Radius:     35.0
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Check if your missile model is not there, or has a different name in the first place.

If its all correct, check out the mission with debug build... I'd believe that there is something messed up with the model to crash the game.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, running this thing through debug is something you should do.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
"Gun-Type Fission Warhead"

Define what you mean by this? Are you trying to use this as a primary or secondary (dumb question but it never hurts to ask)
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

"Gun-Type Fission Warhead"

Define what you mean by this? Are you trying to use this as a primary or secondary (dumb question but it never hurts to ask)

Pretty sure that's referring to the method of detonation. A "gun-type" weapon works by shooting one subcritical piece of fissile material into another, bringing the combination above critical mass. Iirc, the "Little Boy" bomb was an example. (Another approach involves compressing a piece of fissile material to make it more dense - "critical mass" is a bit of a misnomer because it varies depending on other factors, including density.)

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Ah, never heard of that (surprisingly)
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Interestingly, I seem to have solved the problem by messing with the names of the submodels in PCS.  :confused: It was my use of shockwave_red.POF on impact ($Shockwave model) that seems to have been causing the problem; removing that has eliminated crashing.

I need to do more tests to be certain, but I think the heavy rockets are all functional now.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 08:05:55 am by Mad Bomber »
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"