Author Topic: Building a Missile with Wings 3D  (Read 2089 times)

Building a Missile with Wings 3D
Howdy Folks  ;)
So after some years, I'm SLOWLY getting back into this stuff. I have never released any 3D models yet, so thought some new missiles would be a good place to start. I like using Wings 3D as it's very simple and fast to get what I'm trying to achieve,. Having said that, would new missiles be needed, wanted?

My first example would be a advancement over the Trebunchet (sp) in range and firepower (maybe) and speed and then several Dog fighter examples for both races. I'm even thinking of some new advance gun types as well.

I'll have to learn over the entire process for creating textures as I am pretty sure there has been changes since my last examples. I'll post some quick snaps when I get home (on lunch break).

All the best,

Jadehawk :D
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
Re: Building a Missile with Wings 3D
There is lack of anything Vasudan, missiles/bombs for them might be good. Probably T-V/Great war equivalents, as later they'd most likely use the smae stuff throughout the alliance.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I can't wait to see the results :). As Nohiki said, despite Oddgrim, TheDagger and Black Wolf's efforts, there is still insufficiency of good quality vasudan stuff.

...and shivan too...
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Hey guys,
Vasudan I have a special place in my heart, ( think of the Shu Mk II) and YES I'll be doing stuff for them as well. I got PCS2 up and starting to remember the tools and modifying things as such. :) I'll need to figure out doing Normals, DDS files etc all over again from square one. But doing the Textures initially will be no problem as long as I got a Correctly and easy to use UV map. My time is LIMITED and sadly at the present, I cannot help anyone until I get the whole process remembered and done some modeling projects as I have forgotten some key  elements in this process.   

All the Best
Jadehawk

P.S. this is what I have been doing the last several years:

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:51:26 pm by Jadehawk »

New MACE Missile to replace the Trebuchet missile:

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
Not sure how others feel abut it but normals on missiles sounds like a bit of an overkill. How often would you get to appreciate them? The missile zooms out of view in less than a second. I mean sure, the weapon selection screen I guess, but it's up to you to consider whether the time spent on it for that once in a lifetime detailed look before you start swapping them without looking is worth the effort.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Not sure how others feel abut it but normals on missiles sounds like a bit of an overkill. How often would you get to appreciate them? The missile zooms out of view in less than a second. I mean sure, the weapon selection screen I guess, but it's up to you to consider whether the time spent on it for that once in a lifetime detailed look before you start swapping them without looking is worth the effort.

Generally high quality missile models are useful for tech room, external missiles and missile selection screen
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Yup. As Headdie said, there should be two versions of model for each player available missile - team loadout hi poly version and lower poly one for ingame usage. It's hard to estimate current polycount of Mace model, but I think it should be ok for ingame usage. Currently it has similar amount of details as Steve-O's missiles which works fine.

As for the missile itself, I think it should be much more smooth. While I like the front, rear part of the mission looks stricte terran. Try to add some less regular curves to it :D.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Looks interesting, but I think that design wise it doesn't communicate "Trebuchet evolution". Take a look at the Treb and Phoenix V: Somewhat flat tip (lower penetration but higher spread) and most importantly, a fat ass (it needs a huge engine to be able to travel long distances)

My 2 cents :)
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the tips :)

Yes High Poly first for the Tech room then lower version based on that for game play. It's my first version working in Wings3D and well, like everyone else, you make a better one as you go along and am doing as such! I'm getting better at using this wings3D and will mess with this one again. As always suggestions and ideas are welcome :)

All the best,
Jadehawk

Ok! Maybe this version would be a better candidate?

I call this one the Wolfhound. Notice this has a spherical seeker head in the nose.

Better?

All the best,

Jadehawk

P.S. I just successfully imported this model into Blender for the first time! Woohoo!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 06:00:38 pm by Jadehawk »