Author Topic: Primary Weapon Models?  (Read 2591 times)

Primary Weapon Models?
In the tradition of re-using existing assets (and giving full credit for them, of course), are there mods that include modeled .pof's of primary weapons, so that they show up properly in the weapon loadout screen? Blue Planet WIH has some really nice ones, but I am curious if more variety exists.

I need some Shivan primaries for my project, and retexturing things to make them look Shivan-ized is not difficult.
"Obviously the meson bomb is a form of cat-toast-device, with the buttered toast inverted, so that the cat and toast both fly in the direction of gravity much faster than expected. By introducing artificial gravity, a pair of cat-toast perpetual motion accelerator units can be made to collide with one another, and they produce an unimaginably devastating explosion. Both cats are named 'Meson'."

- Wikileaks 2383

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: Primary Weapon Models?
As far as I know, Steve-O's ones are the only good existing pack. Plus he made two packages. New and old. New ones are different than older ones, so you may find both of them useful.
In case of pure Shivan-looking weapon models, no one ever made anything like this.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

As strange as it sounds, I actually don't want bizarre and spikey-looking Shivan primaries. Just like the GTVA's weapons, they're designed to be modular and interchangable. The physical geometry of randomly spikey primary weapons immediately begs the question: "How do these two radically different-shaped guns possibly fit in the same slot?" Generally speaking, anything remotely passable as an energy weapon should suffice.

I'll definitely check out Steve-O's weapons.

Chances are, just because no one has done it before, I'll release the retextured and shivan-ized primaries as soon as they're finished.

EDIT:
Where would I find the Steve-O weapon packs for download?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 05:03:06 pm by Erebus Alpha »
"Obviously the meson bomb is a form of cat-toast-device, with the buttered toast inverted, so that the cat and toast both fly in the direction of gravity much faster than expected. By introducing artificial gravity, a pair of cat-toast perpetual motion accelerator units can be made to collide with one another, and they produce an unimaginably devastating explosion. Both cats are named 'Meson'."

- Wikileaks 2383

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Hmmm... I was thinking I have them on my HD but I don't. I've seen linkage posted by The E some time ago, as he reuploaded a whole Steve-O old package.

If you cannot find anything, I used them in Shadow Genesis so the models are included in the modpack.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Downloading now.

Coincidentally, aside from containing the models I might need, Shadow Genesis looks like it will be a lot of fun to play too!

- Wikileaks 2383

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Showing it's age both in terms of gameplay, storytelling and mission design but it's still pretty enjoyable if you like big missions :P. If you find something interesting in modpack, go ahead and use whatever you want.

If you're looking for additional weapon models, Headdie's 'Polaris' Workshop has a few rich quality ones as well that definitely fit the GTVA. Look here for them, its got links for previewing and dling:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=88621.0
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 01:49:02 pm by starwolf1991 »
Previous Projects: Ancient-Shivan War | GTF Durandal

Current Projects: Exile: Into The Dark Waters (Proof-editing/misc)

Hunting around in Blue Planet's .vp files revealed a total of nine primaries (and a secondary that should make a very nice SSM-designator), all suitable for shivan-izing. Blue Planet's .vp files contain more amazing things than I can count.

Shadow Genesis got corrupted during download the last time I tried, so I'm retrying that.

Headdie's Polaris Workshop EnergyCannon1 and EnergyCannon2 look promising, and the BallisticCannon1 might make a very nice Shivan antimatter-themed Maxim variant, but Mediafire doesn't want to cooperate with me.

- Wikileaks 2383

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
If you're looking for additional weapon models, Headdie's 'Polaris' Workshop has a few rich quality ones as well that definitely fit the GTVA. Look here for them, its got links for previewing and dling:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=88621.0

Yikes, I had forgotten I did those, might have to do a few more some time
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

I'm running into a minor issue with the weapons:

Currently I only have two of them reskinned - and while the spinning models look VERY nice, the icons they generate need to be zoomed in more. Currently, the icons are much too small, and it's difficult to tell one weapon apart from another.

+Closeup_Zoom seems to work only with the spinning model, not the icon, which is the one I need to enlarge.

- Wikileaks 2383

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
I've actually been aware of that and tried fixing it at one point to no avail. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to work with the icons(+closeup zoom: was designed to apply for both the spinning model and icon).
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Well, I guess I have to macgyver some way of getting a screenshot of one of these weapons, then generate a .ani for them.

- Wikileaks 2383

Offline Solatar

I've actually been aware of that and tried fixing it at one point to no avail. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to work with the icons(+closeup zoom: was designed to apply for both the spinning model and icon).

If you change max radius in pcs2 with the main object selected, it'll change the zoom (total hackish fix, though). I cut all the mediavps weapon model max radii by halfish, and they show up larger.  I'm not sure if this messes anything else up, so careful if you're using the models outside the weapon select screen.

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
If you change max radius in pcs2 with the main object selected, it'll change the zoom (total hackish fix, though). I cut all the mediavps weapon model max radii by halfish, and they show up larger.  I'm not sure if this messes anything else up, so careful if you're using the models outside the weapon select screen.
I'm not entirely sure what this would break, if anything at all. That said, the radius is pre-calculated based on the size of the model so it's relatively important at times, though less so for weapon models that aren't used for things like collision detection and turret fire decisions.

I will continue looking into ways to fix the issue. The link between weapon model radius and the icon changing correctly was very helpful.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

I don't see an option to edit the max radius of an object in PCS2. It displays the max radius properly...but I have no idea where to go to change it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:35:23 am by Erebus Alpha »

- Wikileaks 2383

Offline Solatar

You just change the number in the input field (it won't be there for long, but I attached a screenshot).  I fiddled around with most of them, and whatever the number was (they ranged from 1 to 30ish) I about halved it. Some needed more, some needed less. I think changing the models radius just tricks the engine into moving the model closer to the "camera" in the loadout screen. I'm sure somebody who actually knows how to code could explain why it works, and probably a better way of doing it.  :lol:

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]