Author Topic: Cargo not showing up after being scanned?  (Read 1976 times)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Cargo not showing up after being scanned?
I've noticed this problem in my mod. It happens to my Beta tester also, and he's noticed it happening in BtA as well. Is this a bug with 3.7.4? The target information window just says "Scanned" but the cargo will not show up.

Help, please?

Re: Cargo not showing up after being scanned?
I think that somewhere in the mission file, the cargo container or ship has to have a specified cargo for it to show up. Otherwise it just defaults to "Scanned" so far as I know.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I think that somewhere in the mission file, the cargo container or ship has to have a specified cargo for it to show up. Otherwise it just defaults to "Scanned" so far as I know.
Regardless of whether cargo is set or not, if the "Scannable" flag is checked in the additional ship properties dialogue in FRED (the "misc" button from the ship editor), it will just say "Scanned/Not Scanned". Additionally, player_inspect_cargo() requires that the ship class have the "Cargo" or "Transport" flags before scanning cargo (which should probably be changed, seeing as how hud_target_ship_can_be_scanned() uses the objecttype's "$Scannable:" setting instead).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Regardless of whether cargo is set or not, if the "Scannable" flag is checked in the additional ship properties dialogue in FRED (the "misc" button from the ship editor), it will just say "Scanned/Not Scanned". Additionally, player_inspect_cargo() requires that the ship class have the "Cargo" or "Transport" flags before scanning cargo (which should probably be changed, seeing as how hud_target_ship_can_be_scanned() uses the objecttype's "$Scannable:" setting instead).

But in my case the ship does have a specified cargo.

Does the ship have to be a transport or a cargo canister to have it's cargo show up?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

But in my case the ship does have a specified cargo.

Does the ship have to be a transport or a cargo canister to have it's cargo show up?
That is correct; any ship, the class of which is without either a "Cargo" or "Transport" flag, will not show cargo. Period. If you're thinking this is a silly limitation, I cannot disagree.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

If you want that "Cargo"-line to show up the ship has to be either a transport-type or cargo-type...

If only "Not Scanned" or "Scanned" appears in it's place the "Scannable"-flag has been checked, regardless of type (although with "captial" and "supercap" types the engine may go straight to subsystem scanning)

However even if the Scanable-flag is checked the event log (F4 ingame) will list the cargo:
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Okay, so I'll have to add the "transport" flag to the ship I want scanned...

Thanks guys! :)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

Becausing changing the type-flag impacts ai behavior (including allowed player given commands), I'd recommend that you use a -shp.tbm to create a dublicate instead just makeing an edit
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Becausing changing the type-flag impacts ai behavior (including allowed player given commands), I'd recommend that you use a -shp.tbm to create a dublicate instead just makeing an edit

I would, but this is a unique case of a ship class only being used once in the whole campaign, and it's motionless.