Author Topic: Moving Primary weapon firing position?  (Read 1368 times)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Moving Primary weapon firing position?
Hey all!

So I'm trying to make the PTF Dustar into a playable fighter. It's going great except that the firing spot for it's single primary weapon is smack on the nose of the fighter. This means that the firing effect fills up the center of your HUD and it's visually weird and distracting.

Can I use PCS2 to move the primary bank firing point?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Moving Primary weapon firing position?
yes, moving a firepoint (primary or secondary) is a really simple change. It only becomes more complicated if there's a weapon (e.g.) barrel modeled at that location and you want the firepoint to match the model exactly.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Yeah actually I just figured out how to do it.

There's a Transform button when you're looking at the Gun Point in PCS2, and a Translate tab within the Transform window. It takes some guesswork but I just translated in negatively along the Y axis.

In this case the model is super simple since it was supposed to be a minimal enemy-only fighter. So there's actually no gun barrel. That also explains why it wasn't meant to look right for the player.

If I ever have to do this on a ship with a gun barrel... well... too bad. :P

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
An alternative would be to move the "Eye Point" in PCS if the model allows for that...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."