Author Topic: Making Play/Flyable Shivans  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Andrew_Cluetain

• Modder Back from Shivan Space...
Making Play/Flyable Shivans
Recently came back to FS2 from not playing it for a while; Good times playing again.  That said I'm working on making a "simple" mod to make Shivans playable and flyable because the only mod that said it did this was for Retail FS2 and as far as I can tell, never finished.  Also I may have "dove in the deep end" without fully realizing it.  Since the Media VP's made Shivan Secondaries, that look VERY cool, I wanted to try to use those in this mod...  Rather early on I've come across 2 problems that I need advice / Help with.

The First one is an odd one, at least from my point of view.  When I go to the Ship selection screen the Dragon's small icon faces right and is seen from the side (see attached pic)  I don't know if all the shivan ships do this by default yet, haven't added "player_ship" to them yet.  I would like them to Face "up" and be viewed from above.

My second problem, so far, is since I want to use the media VP Shivan Secondaries I need the weapon tmb that I made to load LAST.  Right now that tbm is in a VP alphabetically after Media, but it doesn't seem to work yet.  I've attached the VP that I made and the ship tbm.  Be aware they are VERY WIP items at the moment.  (the tbm and VP are zipped so I could upload them)

Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]
I've been part of the FS2 Comunity before but have been out of touch these last years and want to get back in the cockpit.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Making Play/Flyable Shivans
My second problem, so far, is since I want to use the media VP Shivan Secondaries I need the weapon tmb that I made to load LAST.  Right now that tbm is in a VP alphabetically after Media, but it doesn't seem to work yet.
Firstly, the name of the .tbm is more important than the name of the .VP (or... I think it is; I guess I should do some tests in that regard to verify that it works the way I think it does); secondly, priority works in reverse alphabetical order (so naming it later in the alphabet is making it so that the MediaVPs will always override it).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Re: Making Play/Flyable Shivans
I am doing much the same thing you are doing - making player-flyable Shivan ships. You should definitely give them a "player_ship" flag. The "default_player_ship" flag might also be useful, if you want it to show up in FRED automatically, and "in tech database" for easy proofreading of tech room details.

You should consider building a ships.tbl and a weapons.tbl - I merged all my scattered ship and weapon .tbm's to .tbl and I have experienced no load order issues whatsoever. It also makes your Tables folder nice and clean.

My dragon icon is a top-down view, with the nose of the ship pointed up.

I would post examples for some ships and weapons that you could copy & paste in, but I rebuilt everything to operate at much-greater-than-retail speeds, and a lot of my weapons use non-retail & non-mediaVP effects. If you need some working examples to play with to get yours operational, I can try packaging up a fighter, a couple of weapons, and the weapon effects. None of my stuff is packaged in .vp's at the moment.
"Obviously the meson bomb is a form of cat-toast-device, with the buttered toast inverted, so that the cat and toast both fly in the direction of gravity much faster than expected. By introducing artificial gravity, a pair of cat-toast perpetual motion accelerator units can be made to collide with one another, and they produce an unimaginably devastating explosion. Both cats are named 'Meson'."

- Wikileaks 2383