Author Topic: CVS Build - Problems loading missions  (Read 2956 times)

CVS Build - Problems loading missions
Hi everyone,

I have been playing Open Freespace for quite some time on windows now but since I am an avid Linux user I would like to save the trouble switching to Windows and just play in Linux.

I have successfully compiled the sourcecode but when I enter the game and select a player and then try to start the campaign (or the game is searching missions) it crashes back to the console with this error message:

Code: [Select]
ERROR: "Training-1.fs2(line 2: Error: Required token = [#Mission Info], found [$Version: 0.10] ." at parse/parselo.cpp:618
This is my system:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+
default-linux/amd64/2005.1, gcc-4.0.2-20051117, glibc-2.3.90.20060102-r0, 2.6.15-gentoo-r1

If you need any further info please let me know.
Is this a CVS based problem or is the fault mine?
Is there any other place to search for bugs?

I know lots of questions but I hope someone can help me.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: CVS Build - Problems loading missions
Update to current CVS, should be fixed now.

Thank you, it's working now.

I have two questions though.
There are two configure options I am not sure about.
What is SCP-lite and inferno?
I know there are different builds but what do they actually mean?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 01:24:57 pm by Merlin-TC »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
SCP-lite is going to be removed so you can just ignore it.

Inferno builds a binary with higher limits for things like ships and weapons.  Pilot files are incompatible with these builds, and networking is disabled, but otherwise it's the same as a normal build.  You mainly just want to use these builds for actually playing Inferno since most other mods/TCs don't make use of the higher limits (yet).

Thanks a lot for clearing this up.
It's sweet to see Open Freespace in all it's glory under Linux.

The only problem I have now is the joystick which is from Microsoft.
Maybe they can't make OSs properly but that joystick is nice, it was the first forcefeedback joystick available and it still works at least technically.

But my kernel gives me an error when I modprobe sidewinder.
But I know this is not freespace related so I shouldn't rant about it here though I am open for suggestions :)

Is there any good joystick that works properly in Linux? What about forcefeedback?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I still just have my old Logitech Wingman Force 3D that I bought to play Freespace with originally.  It has always worked well and the force feedback was nice.  I was never able to get working force feedback code going for the Linux version of FS2 though, but that had as much to do with the hardware limitations than anything else.

I rencently got a Saitek X52 and it's pretty nice.  I'm not for all of the glowy crap personally but it is a nice joystick.  I'm still tweaking the game code to handle all of the buttons and extra HATs that it has.  This joystick doesn't have FF, but I wanted it mainly because I needed something new, and I can assign just about every function of the game to the joystick.

I don't know that I'll ever finish the force feedback code for Linux, and no one I've offered the code to in order to complete themselves has ever gotten back to me.  With that in mind I don't know how bad you'll want a FF capable joystick unless you dual boot.

Taylor: Are you commiting any code changes for that joystick? (And was that the HOTAS one?)

If so, please tell me when it's in CVS, and I'll get my dad a new build. He uses the same joystick.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Taylor: Are you commiting any code changes for that joystick? (And was that the HOTAS one?)
The X52 you mean?  It requires the new pilot file code (since the extra controls break pilots) and that's not totally ready yet.  I haven't had much time lately so I'm just spent what I have on bug fixing and handling (relatively) minor mod requests.  That stuff is next on my big-list though since it's a ton of changes and I'm going to have to finish it and commit it, or get buried by it.  Maybe end of Feb, but probably March before the new code is done and in CVS.

That joystick looks really nice but it is a bit pricey and mine is still working...at least in windows.

Force feedback is not that important since that doesn't work in windows XP either because M$ doesn't support its own joystick in anything above 98 *sigh*

I think mine should work with the sidewinder module but somehow it gives me an error which seems to be in the code itself.

Too bad really...

Ok, it's time to bring this thread to life again :)
With the 2.6.16 kernel my I can load the driver again if the power source is unplugged on loading the driver. I know it sounds strange but then it does work.

All the axis and the throttle control is working though the coolie hat is not working in freespace but "cat /dev/input/js0" gives me some output when using the cooliehat.
Is this freespace code specific?

And last but not least I just want to say how awesome it is to play Freespace in Linux, it's just so nice when you don't have to dual boot anymore.

Thanks again  :yes: