Author Topic: Developmentally Challenged Question 9: Linux builds on AMD64?  (Read 1727 times)

Developmentally Challenged Question 9: Linux builds on AMD64?
Hi all,

One of the reasons I started calling these qns of mine 'developmentally challenged' was because I figured it would be a good way of lowering expectations and being modest about the queries themselves -- as well as to ask potentially stupid questions without too much fear of embarrassing myself. I've been away for a spell, for various reasons too tedious to list.

I've recently managed to upgrade my crappy old box to something a bit more relevant, an Athlon64 3500+ (2.2ghz) on an ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 board with 2gb RAM, NVidia 6600LE AGP with 256mb RAM of its own. Still not quite the fastest, but perfectly adequate, and I am certainly not complaining ...  Following suggestions I've been able to get Debian unstable back up and running for the most part, with a functioning chroot for those 32bit apps that don't work well on 64bit (Openoffice, I'm looking at you!). But enough preamble...

So, my question is, does FS2_Open compile on 64bit? And how well does the retail -- or other mods, for that matter -- integrate with that?

Cheers and kind regards
Mass

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: Developmentally Challenged Question 9: Linux builds on AMD64?
FS2_Open works fine as 64-bit, as does the icculus.org version (for retail).  As far as mods and stuff go it doesn't really matter what CPU you are running with since the game always deals with files and networking as 32-bit little-endian.  It's just the internal stuff to the game that will be 64-bit or big-endian.

Re: Developmentally Challenged Question 9: Linux builds on AMD64?
Cool! As always, many thanks.
Mass