Author Topic: My modifications to FS2 source("now with beta release")  (Read 13268 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
My modifications to FS2 source
can we get a -load mission comandline were
-load
is the comand
and
mission
is the name of the mission file, so the example
-load mission
would load mission.fs2
auotomaticly
run this comand line and the screen would go blank for a few seconds (like when you first start the game, also make it ether load the same player file it did last time or the first one it finds) then the little bar thing that shows when a mission is loading, then you're in the breifing
when you get done with the mission (anything that would return you to the main menu) you can ether load another mission, or quit

also could someone look into quicker mission loading
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Originally posted by Bobboau

I don't know how many spacesims you play, but FS2 has one of (if not simply "THE") fastest loading-time of any that I've ever played.  And it looks better than them all too.

Do yourself a favor, don't play XWA.  (-:

--TurboNed
"It is the year 2000, but where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars! I don't see any flying cars. Why? Why? Why?" - [size=-2]Avery Brooks from an IBM commercial[/size]

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
    • http://www.c4-group.dk
Originally posted by Bobboau
can we get a -load mission comandline were
-load
is the comand
and
mission
is the name of the mission file, so the example
-load mission
would load mission.fs2
auotomaticly
run this comand line and the screen would go blank for a few seconds (like when you first start the game, also make it ether load the same player file it did last time or the first one it finds) then the little bar thing that shows when a mission is loading, then you're in the breifing
when you get done with the mission (anything that would return you to the main menu) you can ether load another mission, or quit

This is not in this release,as I have not fully tested the extend of what happens, but FS2 already has sort of autoload pilot stuff, with the -startgame option, "THAT WILL CURRENTLY NOT LET YOU QUIT" :rolleyes:

But this will be in the next release from me DTP version 0.3

25. FIX: -startgame option You can now actually quit. A thing you could not do before, it would just throw you back to select
mission screen. IF you don't now what i'm talking about, just try and create batfile with this fs2.exe -startgame
when it is done loading, now try to quit, well you can select quit, but it will not quit out to join/create game screen
it will just stay in the select mission screen.

26. FIX related to fix 25. if Player use the startgame option, and the last player is a singleplayer pilot. well then we will have
odd things happening in multiplayer mode. if player is single player, you will now no more be thrown into multiplayer select mission to play screen. IF you however enter barraks with a singleplayer pilot and have used the startgame option and select a multiplayer pilot, you will be auto thrown into Multiplayer select mission screen. i think this is neat as this is properly what the player wanted in the first place, if he forgot that his last player was a Singleplayer pilot.
VBB member; reg aug 1999; total posts 600.
War is a lion, on whos back you fall, never to get up.
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline YodaSean

• i am so special
    • http://www.geocities.com/radioactiveyeti
Originally posted by TurboNed

I don't know how many spacesims you play, but FS2 has one of (if not simply "THE") fastest loading-time of any that I've ever played.  And it looks better than them all too.

Do yourself a favor, don't play XWA.  (-:

--TurboNed

What about asteroids? :p

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Wait, so does this -startgame option make the game load a specified mission directly when the exe is loaded up?

BTW, just for testing putposes, how much work would it take to add a framerate display directly into the game? ;)

What about asteroids? :p

Fastest loading space sim ever. :D

Originally posted by CP5670
Wait, so does this -startgame option make the game load a specified mission directly when the exe is loaded up?

BTW, just for testing putposes, how much work would it take to add a framerate display directly into the game? ;)

Pong is faster.  And yes, it is a space sim.  As you can clearly see (and as evidenced by a comment near the end of this thread, it is in fact a star being bounced between two, uh....giant alien white bar things.

And yes, for those who are curious what the heck that link I used in the above statement means, I'm using my own comment as evidence for itself.  Circular logic as it were.  [grin]

--TurboNed
"It is the year 2000, but where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars! I don't see any flying cars. Why? Why? Why?" - [size=-2]Avery Brooks from an IBM commercial[/size]

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
Originally posted by CP5670

No the stargame, starts a netgame, it by-passes the pilot select, mainhall & join/create game and enters directly into select mission in multiplayer mode.

But since Daveb or whoever forgot to turn of a flag off after the first run. You are thrown back into select mission when you try to quit from the select mission area OR when you select return to flight deck from die screen in-game.

-------
forgot, it auto-selects the last pilot, this is bad if last pilot is a singleplayer pilot, Fixed it so that you can quit and if you are a singleplayer pilot you only arrive at mainhall, until you go to barracks and selects a multiplayer pilot and press accept, from which it will auto throw you into multiplayer select mission screen again.

The autoload mission option i may try to incorperate.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2002, 01:53:14 pm by 508 »
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
Thought this was dead ehh. Well RealLife™ :D

Beta 0.3 is out,

http://www.c4-group.dk/?C=4&case=download

4 new things where fixed or added
1 command line switch -startgame fixed

Example "fs2dtp.exe -startgame

Will take you far as to the select multiplayer mission or campaign screen.

2. command line switch -almission added

Example; "fs2dtp.exe -almission kickass"

Note; no extension needed in the command line

Will auto load the multiplayer mission kickass with a respawn limit at 99. No abuse in online games outside PXO can abuse this since nobody can join before the clientmaster is taken to briefing and being the only pilot there. Note will also only work with a client master.

3. Frames pr second is now a command line switch option.

Example; "fs2dtp.exe -showfps" will display frames pr second on the top of your screen when flying. Useful for testing new ships and so on.

my 32 Sathanas mission gave me 7.7 frames pr second. :D.

4. almost forgot this minor change. Rotating subobjects will not rotate when ship/object has order to play dead.

And ofcourse you can combine all these commandline options like

Fs2dtp.exe –almission mymission –showfps

Startgame is not needed when almission commandline switch is used because the almission switch makes use of the features of the startgame switch.

Btw 73 people downloaded version 0.2

This release is more developer orientated.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2002, 02:00:00 pm by 508 »
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline Inquisitor

if we can get the emails sorted out, you should have CVS access by this weekend ;)
No signature.

I love what you've done DTP. But I also really like Komet's extra graphics effects mod. I have so many mods that I have to use your excellent mod.
My wish is that these two great modifications could be merged together.
Do you think it's possible?

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-PaloAlto/8376/index-e.html

Thanks.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Pegasus V
I love what you've done DTP. But I also really like Komet's extra graphics effects mod. I have so many mods that I have to use your excellent mod.
My wish is that these two great modifications could be merged together.
Do you think it's possible?

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-PaloAlto/8376/index-e.html

Thanks.

If they both joining the CVS, I guess it would be this way.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Inquisitor

DTp is on board. Someone convince Komet ;)
No signature.

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
problems with increased table sizes
I've encountered some not-so-minor problems, and unfortunately I have traced them to the increased table sizes DTP implemented on 28 July.

My machine only has 64M RAM :( and the latest version from CVS would not load missions -- it would kick me out whenever I went into the ready room, the mission simulator page in the tech room, or the campaign room.  No error messages (not even a nasty Windows message), just out to the desktop....

I changed the tbl limits back to their original values and the latest CVS works fine. (Thanks to Inquisitor for the tip...)

I am not sure how to proceed here -- obviously higher limits is something we've all been clamoring for, but I'm probably not the only one with a 64M machine...

Opinions on what to do about this?  Maybe this should be a separate thread....
your source code slave

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Would it be possible to specify the size with A) a command line value or B) a variable in the file? I haven't looked much at either of those sections.
-C

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
Would it be possible to specify the size with A) a command line value or B) a variable in the file? I haven't looked much at either of those sections.
They are set at compile-time.

It would be nice to have it be more dynamic, but it's not right now.

A not-too-difficult way would be to have the init routines allocate a block of memory, the sizes to be determined at runtime.  That way there's little impact on existing code, except that the MAX_XXX values would no longer be constants.  But it wouldn't be like replacing all the arrays with linked lists or std::vector<> objects, and there would be no performance penalties.

just a thought...
your source code slave

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
Re: problems with increased table sizes
Originally posted by penguin
I've encountered some not-so-minor problems, and unfortunately I have traced them to the increased table sizes DTP implemented on 28 July.

My machine only has 64M RAM :( and the latest version from CVS would not load missions -- it would kick me out whenever I went into the ready room, the mission simulator page in the tech room, or the campaign room.  No error messages (not even a nasty Windows message), just out to the desktop....

I changed the tbl limits back to their original values and the latest CVS works fine. (Thanks to Inquisitor for the tip...)

I am not sure how to proceed here -- obviously higher limits is something we've all been clamoring for, but I'm probably not the only one with a 64M machine...

Opinions on what to do about this?  Maybe this should be a separate thread....

hmm, odd, that there should be such a memory usage. you see, i can have MS DEV, FS2(with bumped limits), FRED2, OUTLOOK, Norton Anti,a web tracker, and a explorer window opened at the same time, + what ever else i desire on a 128 MB machine.

I think you ppl need some memory managment programs.
personally i use cacheman for win98 se.

Its free :), here is a link
http://www.outertech.com/
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
thanx, i think i generally need that :D
hehe, ram usage gone from 78 to 32 megs. wow :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2002, 05:32:52 am by 815 »
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Inquisitor

It may require more testing to sort out.

Maybe we try it wit this, then release the exe and open up bugzilla to the public and see what happens?

Also might not be a bad thing to reboot, and not run anything but FS2. see if a clean boot has any affect.

Probably time for another poll on system memory as well.
No signature.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
look what i found.. the wierd that is that is has never been touched

Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
its one of does "features" just as record demo
Think big. Invade Space.