Author Topic: Artifacts on ships  (Read 7861 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Are you running vista?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I have the patch files, so they must be the 3.6.8 Zetas. I'm using FS2 Open 3.6.9 btw.
Ooops this could be another ForceWare rendering issue.

Read this thread: SCP Troubles

And please follow Castor suggestion. Try this build instead of 3.6.9. The reason is that this beta builds have shader rendering (GLSL) which seems to work with latest ForceWare versions, while old rendering still doesn't work, (and 3.6.9. doesn't have shader rendering).
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers and it seems to have fixed everything. I already downloaded the build you mentioned, ARSPR. Thanks.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers and it seems to have fixed everything. I already downloaded the build you mentioned, ARSPR. Thanks.
Quote nevertheless, with the latest ForceWare, please test:
  • 3.6.9. build

OR

• 3.6.10. with this launcher flag -no_glsl.

Please post if you can reproduce your first looking screenshots.
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

I tried the mission where the Colossus and Enif Station showed major artifacts using the -no_glsl flag, but everything looked fine.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
actualy, I think D3D is disabled, it just runs in OGL (though it still says D3D)

I realize this is a little late to the thread, but why was D3D abandoned/disabled?
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
because it was in the way.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Actually, D3D loads everything insanely fast. :nervous:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I realize this is a little late to the thread, but why was D3D abandoned/disabled?

Actually, D3D loads everything insanely fast. :nervous:

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

You're risking a really HARSH answer from the whole SCP team...

As already said about 10 billion times, D3D is dead because SCP team lacks a reliable and constant D3D coder. So, unless you are applying for the job, this kind of comments can make some coders really angry.

(I feel that D3D is going to become a greater taboo than FS3 really really really soon)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I know why it's discontinued, but damn, man. :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Topgun

oops, didn't see the second page :nervous:

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Well, if you are using the mediavps folder as a mod, the files in it will be used. More importantly, how and what mediavps have you acquired? If they are the 3.6.8 Zetas, you should also have the patch files, that start with mp-710_. And, if you used Turey's Installer, I assume that it still downloads the 3.6.8 Zetas.

Oh, and I recommend that you play in 1024x768 or in some other forced 4:3 resolution. Widescreen resolutions tend to cause annoying HUD distortions and further highlight the suns' movement in relation to the background.

I find the effect of widescreen on the HUD's usefulness to be trivial. Brackets are misaligned at the edges of the screen, yes, but what you're supposed to shoot at ought to be in the CENTER of the screen, where there are no distortions. Many people's widescreen monitors do not have vertical letterboxing to make the viewable area narrower and prevent stretching in 4:3.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta