Author Topic: revisiting old games  (Read 69214 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Thing that drives me insane about Bioshock is that it was so good, I don't want to keep replaying it and get board with it. Perverse logic I know

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
For what, all three or HW2? I played all three SP campaigns lots. I don't see whats so bad about it. Unless you don't like the "Hiigaran's are saviors of the universe" storyline.

You either played a different game from me, or your HW2 was somehow patched to prevent the Vaygr outnumbering insanity.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
You either played a different game from me, or your HW2 was somehow patched to prevent the Vaygr outnumbering insanity.
Vaygr outnumbering insanity? You mean the fact that the Hiigaran Navy is nearly non-existant during the entire campaign, yet the Vaygr seem like insects in terms of numbers?
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
which explains why i think the hw2 story isnt very good. the vaygr completely surprised the hiigarans at tanis in the great wastelands (background, huge cylindrical shape pieces of ship hull! from the looks of it stand it against the pride of hiigara and it makes the hiigaran mothership look like an insect). the vaygr followed the hiigarans progress because of something which has been in the hiigarans prosession since the mass exodus to kharak serveral hundred years previous.

the death of the bentusi race which i didn't like, they had fighters that could own anything i suspect, shame about that.

homeworld aside, anyone that can translate polish into english? i really want past mission 4 on ancient conquest, been stuck on that mission for 3 days, had it been in english i probably would of passed it in minutes. however i can not get ancient conquest downloaded anywhere in english.
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
which explains why i think the hw2 story isnt very good. the vaygr completely surprised the hiigarans at tanis in the great wastelands (background, huge cylindrical shape pieces of ship hull! from the looks of it stand it against the pride of hiigara and it makes the hiigaran mothership look like an insect). the vaygr followed the hiigarans progress because of something which has been in the hiigarans prosession since the mass exodus to kharak serveral hundred years previous.

The wreckages you see in the Great Wasteland are derelicts. The Homeworld series is littered with wreckage like that, hints of races capable of building ships so massive and so advanced.
Spoiler:
The Progenitors are an example of this. One mission takes place in debris that is merely a single section of an entire Progenitor ship.

The Vaygr attacked the Hiigarans for their empire. The Hiigaran empire occupies much of the inner galactic core, which comprises some of the most resource rich planets in their continuity, resources the Vaygr wanted. Makaan wanted the hyperspace core in the Pride of Hiigara, and the Vaygr invasion only started after Makaan found the Third Core and united the Vaygr into a single warband, which is why the Vaygrs didn't invade until now.

And the Second Core might have been in the Exiles' posession, but they never knew about it until the scanning accident, and they never knew its significance till about a hundred years later.

the death of the bentusi race which i didn't like, they had fighters that could own anything i suspect, shame about that.
Actually, the Bentusi were already dying out. They were primarily traders, and had no real combat capapbility by HW2, or refused to use it. And the Bentus Harborship actually self destructed to save the Pride of Hiigara.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 07:18:56 am by Stormkeeper »

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Vaygr outnumbering insanity? You mean the fact that the Hiigaran Navy is nearly non-existant during the entire campaign, yet the Vaygr seem like insects in terms of numbers?

There's insectlike and there's 13 (count 'em) Vaygr battlecruisers vs my 1, dreadnaught, and a DD. And all 13 of them are together so there's really nothing to be done about tactics, you'd just have to hit them with a sledgehammer that's totally impossible due to the game's logistics cap.

A Feddie Story

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Uhh... Counter-Strike I guess... but that's not really revisiting to me, new friends to battle against and all.

Far Cry for 5 minutes just to try a mod only to :doubt: at the gun animations and sounds and uninstall, SOF 2 for a while and eventually getting bored of the auto shotgun and grenade launcher, Max Payne 1/2 just to stunt around and then quit out of boredom, NFS HP2 out of desperation to find a car game that's friendly to user-made cars while not being too old like NFS4 which for some reason lags on my computer when it shouldn't... Most Wanted doesn't count simply because of preference...

Old games are a 50:50 chance - if I try to play an old game when there's a new game in the similar genre with similar features, the old one gets boring too quickly no matter how hard I try to "revisit" it.

I rarely play back an old game for the sake of... recreating that "first-time" feeling. :sigh:

Newer games, maybe X3: Reunion but the kind of scripts I have right now, the universe is shooting itself to pieces right in the middle of the story mode and it sucks to lose a battleship worth millions with 60 guns and over 1000 missiles in 10 seconds...
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
There's insectlike and there's 13 (count 'em) Vaygr battlecruisers vs my 1, dreadnaught, and a DD. And all 13 of them are together so there's really nothing to be done about tactics, you'd just have to hit them with a sledgehammer that's totally impossible due to the game's logistics cap.
If its the mission i recall it is, I had a pair of BCs, lots of bombers and strike craft. I took them down pretty okay. Had some trouble getting the Vaygr off the dreadnaught though.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Umm recently re-visited "Return to Castle Wolfenstein"......

also, last week I picked up a mint copy of X-wing Alliance (for £1.50! Bargain!  :yes:), however, as I never played it before, it's not really re-visiting.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Umm recently re-visited "Return to Castle Wolfenstein"......
Achtung! The American Boot is the most powerful weapon you'll come across!

Offline Al Tarket

and the mothership was abandoned at balcora deep inside the galatic core where gravimetric sheer is at its best after the death of makaan yeah i know :P. however that ship is weak :ick:.

that trinity cannon is a deadly weapon if you happen to be in its way, look back through the replies to find the answer to the vaygr battleships weakness. 
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
The weakness to Vaygr Battleships are, quite simply, bombers. Especially those elite bombers if you managed to save transport 4 (or was it 5?) during the second mission. Those 4 lance weapons on the Battleship aren't a very good fighter deterrent.

I love HW2, it's so epic, on it's own scale. You don't need a Battle of Endor for something to be epic.
And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Offline Falcon

I still will play Death Rally time to time on DOSBox, that along with Age of Empires and considering playing either Master of Orion II or Descent II again.

Offline Nuclear1

From the Sierra Homeworld forums (parts in bold, especially; WARNING: TLDR):
- In the First Time, the Bentusi found the first Great Hyperspace Core of Sajuuk, a relic of the ancient Progenitor race which allowed them to establish commerce (sometimes forcefully) throughout the galaxy. The Core's power allowed it to jump faster, farther, and bring lots of stuff with it, which made it pretty much the ultimate hyperdrive and made everybody else's hyperdrives look like crap by comparison. Anyone who gets their hands on one is clearly the Big Kid On The Block.

- Over time, the Bentusi decided to step back and take a more diplomatic role in galactic politics, making them a somewhat more effective version of the UN's peacekeeping arm that doubled as a race of highly advanced nomadic traders.

- Somewhere in the background, two upstart races- the Hiigarans (Kushan) and the Taiidan- were having a little war.

- The Hiigarans found the second Great Hyperspace Core (oooooo!) and used it to build a really spiffy battleship, which they used to kick the ever-loving crap outta the Taiidan.

- The Bentusi didn't like this, so they went in and kicked the ever-loving crap outta the Hiigarans when they wouldn't surrender the Core.

- Somewhere in here, someone belonging to kiith LiirHra is mentioned... and if you've read your HW and Cata lore, you know that this particular kiith didn't actually exist until 4000 years later. Yeah.

- The Taiidan then proceeded to come back and kick the ever-loving crap outta the Hiigarans even more, while the Bentusi got all weepy over what they'd done and disarmed their entire race. Great timing, huh?

- The Hiigarans got exiled and snuck their Core onto one of the evacuation ships.

- Supposedly, this Core was much later integrated into the Mothership during Homeworld (which isn't how it happened at all, if you've read the Homeworld manual). Oh yeah, and forget about the Guidestone, because it isn't even mentioned (despite being the reason why the Mothership was built in the first place).

- 115 years later, some Viking- errr, Vaygr warlord gets his greedy little mitts on the third Great Core, and proceeds to kick the ever-loving crap outta everybody.

- The Hiigarans don't take kindly to this, seeing as how they've only just begun to rebuild their little corner of the galaxy. They take their Core (ooooo!) out of mothballs and use it to kick the ever-loving crap outta the Vaygr even as they're winning the war. Along the way, they learn that Sajuuk (who is their version of the Almighty God, as we already knew) was real and built himself a really spiffy battleship, named after himself, that was designed to use all three Cores (OOOOOO!). The quest to kick the Vaygr's butts becomes a quest to pinch the really spiffy battleship.

- Somewhere in here, the Bentus, the last great starship of the Bentusi (mind you, we never find out what happened to the rest of the Bentusi, even though they clearly still had a major presence and influence as of Cata)- who are now a bunch of very wise interstellar refugees- gets the ever-loving crap kicked outta it by a bunch of robotic Progenitor ships that are pursuing the Hiigarans. How the Hiigarans escape is anybody's guess, since the Progenitor ships supposedly project an inhibitor field. The Hiigarans come back and pick up the pieces, and now they have two cores.

- The Hiigarans finally catch up to Makaan, kick the ever-lovingc rap outta him, take his core, reactivate the really spiffy battleship, and jump back to Hiigara just in time to Save The Day.

- After that, Karan (no, we don't know why she's still alive either) pretty much becomes a Goddess and ushers in a new age of truth, beauty, and peace. Cue fuzzy animals frolicking and cheery flute music. The end.

------------------

On the bright side, the multiplayer is fun. The sides are better balanced against one another than Beast and Somtaaw were in Cata.

On the not-so-bright side, the game is less than a shadow of what we were promised when it was in early development. Epic story? Epic failure. Five races? Make that two. Megaliths that provide tactical advantages? Well, we got some big scenery... And oh, by the way, forget about selecting your own fleet colors and choosing when to jump to the next mission in SP, as well as formations, which were all much-loved features of both HW and Cata. And if that weren't enough, we also don't get to use most of the modular upgrades in SP either, so tactics are rather limited. Oh, and battlecruisers own everything unless there are bombers or lasvettes about, frigates are armored with paper, and nothing smaller than a carrier can hyperspace on its own (and nothing at all can hyperspace without an add-on).

The long and short of it is that we got corncobbed.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 06:13:56 pm by nuclear1 »
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

They left out the bit where the Bentusi don't seem to actually need the core anyway, as they jump straight out of the galaxy in Cata.
But then, cata is really the outlier when it comes to Bentusi capability.  HW1 has a mission where you rescue the Bentusi, and they seem practically unarmed.
HW2 they just explode themselves.

Cata.....they're super duper death machines who produce the most deadly fighter in the entire galaxy, and who's ships carry more firepower then the death star.

It's a damn shame about HW2 though.  Lore aside, it's tactically much more limited the 1 and cata.  And due to the ridiculous extremes they took HW1/cata's scaling too, effective strategic play actually just got you royally screwed.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
They left out the bit where the Bentusi don't seem to actually need the core anyway, as they jump straight out of the galaxy in Cata.
But then, cata is really the outlier when it comes to Bentusi capability.  HW1 has a mission where you rescue the Bentusi, and they seem practically unarmed.

They used a gate for the galaxy jump.

Also, I'd point out they were armed identically in the HW1 mission as they are in Cataclysm, if you pay close attention. They're just vastly outnumbered and have no Super Acolytes.

A Feddie Story

Offline Al Tarket

i think you forget makaan took over the tiidan and renamed it to the vaygr, they raided practically every civilized race to expand their fleets, the turanic raiders where almost wiped out as a result despite their misgivings and cunning. makaan found that the hiigarans had a hyperspace core and knew he had a better chance of getting it and almost succeeded trying to destroy the pride of hiigara, however he mis underestimated the strength of a few thousand refugees of several ships, the pride of hiigara, sobani frigates, nebaal's shipyard and its carrier.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I'd also like to point out in HW1 the Bentus Tradeship actually has a trio of ion cannons.

After reading that review, nuclear, I find myself liking HW2 less. All those points are valid, especially the formations.

Offline Al Tarket

thats a typical view of the bentusi exchange ships, they actually have 6 ion ports i have seen it many time, if they are really threatened all 6 will be used simutainously. i said that about the formations in a previous post, did someone miss it?  :rolleyes: