Author Topic: FreeSpace: Secrets Revealed  (Read 54230 times)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Re: FreeSpace: Secrets Revealed
WeatherOp: Good job mate. I found it a good read. :D

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
One possible problem with your chronology.  From what you've described, the hidden Knossos in Ross 128 is right next to GTI Riviera.  However the FS1 intro clearly indicates that the Shivans attacked elsewhere in the system BEFORE attacking GTI Riviera.  If it had entered through a Knossos nearby, then their entry would have drawn considerable attention prior to the skirmish encounter that Lt. Ash described.  Now, you could have had it that they entered through the other Knossos devices in the other systems, then used the classified nodes to reach Ross 128, but then why have a Knossos in Ross 128 at all?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
In Freespace, Shivans initially had sensor evasion capability or we had **** sensors one of the two.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773

Chapter 6: The Fifth Trumpet(Continued)

System: Vega

May 23, Year 2371, 12:46 hours.

Hallway: GTA Hawthorn

"It was late, or too early, and I'm too old"

Simms mumbled to himself as he walked down the hallway passing crew of every rank. He entered the mess hall of the Hawthorn. The hall was large, as it needed to hold and feed at least half of the ten thousand member crew at any time. The room was filled with large white tables, with long benches on either side. A few hundred crew members filled the chamber with light chatter. Sim looked up, the quieter officers balcony sat overlooking the floor. Quiet sounded good he thought as he trudged up the stairs. He emerged on top to find very few people. He looked around for a place to sit and heard a yell. A hand reached out of a booth and motioned him over. In the booth he found three officers, two older and one younger. The latter with a cigar clenched in his lips, puffing out gray smoke. One of the older officers spoke first.

"Come join us Peter, and get a drink."

The raspy familiar voice of Admiral Petrarch rung out as he cracked a grin.

Simms sat, while a waitress came over for his order.

"Talose 2357, no ice, please"

Simms spoke and the waitress walked off after scribbling his order down on a pad.

"Still drinking that old crap, I see."

Vice Admiral Josh Vaughn snorted.

"Why change."

Simms shrugged. He was clearly not amused. Petrarch broke in.

"So, they have you on the blockade in Delta Serpentis?"

Simms rubbed his tired eyes.

"Our battle group will spearhead into Ross 128 and try to create a foothold."

Ah, Spearheading, never know what demons lurk in the dark in that field of work."

Petrarch cracked, half joke, half serious. The waitress set Simm's drink in front of him. He picked up his glass of wine and took a sip before returning it tot he table.

"I told command to accept my resignation at the end of this. However, I never thought, I might not survive this or there may not be a command to accept it."

Simms cracked a joking smile.

"Irony, the joke of all ages I suppose."

"Indeed."

Petrarch calmly stated. Someone walked over to the table where they all sat. He wasn't a tall man, but dressed in an old admiral's uniform. They all turned to greet him.

"Admiral Jacobs."

He stated as he firmly shook the others hands.

"May I sit and catch a round?"

Petrarch motioned him to sit.

"Has command given you the data on the Sathnas?"

Jacobs nodded.

"Yes. The data suggests the Galatea can easily engage one. We have a far longer range and much more power. However, should we get in a fight with two at the same time, I don't think the ship can handle that. Incredible to think that we worked on the Galatea for forty years and yet the Shivans have mustered up, what, eighty or ninety of these behemoths."

Petrarch nodded.

"Yes. Even the Omega can't handle more than one at a time. This will be another long drawn out fight of strategy. Who knows maybe we can eek out one more time against our old enemy."

System: Ikeya

May 23, Year 2371, 12:58 hours.

Near the huge spinning Knossos, a complement of Shivan forces converged. Cruisers, corvettes, destroyers, three Sathnas juggernauts all guarded the portal intently. A small subspace portal opened and a destroyer exited. thousands of red lights lit the vessel, revealing a ghastly shape. It cruised to a stop at the heart of the complement of ships. After a few moments, the ship turned around and once again entered subspace at the center of the huge Knossos.

May 23, Year 2371, 01:27 hours.

Mess Hall: GTA Hawthorn

The mess hall, now empty, besides the last of the cooks and cleaners stood nearly silent except for the laughter and talk coming from the top balcony. Most of the lights were dim except for one small overhead light in one booth. Several empty glasses sat on the table, the ash tray fill of cigar butts. Playing cards sat idle, long with a few papers of currency the winner did not have the in-decency to take. Amoung the hardy talk, Simms feeling the hour looked at his watch. He needed sleep.

"Well gentlemen, it's far too late for me and I need my sleep."

Simms stood listening to the joking groans and laughs coming from the others.

"Yeah, big day tomorrow, besides we all aren't twenty anymore."

Petrarch laughed as he agreed, although with a little longing in his voice.

"Well the Galatea is headed to Regulus. The plan to re-fit the ship with anti-fighter beams before the fighting really begins." Jacobs begind to stand up.

"Wait one second."

Petrarch said intently.

"A toast."

He raised his glass as did the others.

"A toast, to likely the last time we will be together acting like stupid teenagers, and to the survival of the GTVA."

Petrarch smiled as he said it, but the smile quickly faded and he face became solomn as with the others.

"I'll drink to that."

Simms said. They all bumped glasses.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Awwww.
My favourite one so far.
Comraderie before a fight few drinks then a sad moment of realisiation.

Know that feeling.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Anyone here thinking that the mysterious Shivan destroyer has something to do with Bosch?

WeatherOp, do you have this whole storyline mapped out in you mind (or elsewhere) ahead of time, or are you frequently taking the story in directions you hadn't intended originally?

Offline WeatherOp

Anyone here thinking that the mysterious Shivan destroyer has something to do with Bosch?

WeatherOp, do you have this whole storyline mapped out in you mind (or elsewhere) ahead of time, or are you frequently taking the story in directions you hadn't intended originally?

Oh no, I've known how it ends for three years.  :D

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It will all end in fire!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Oh no, I've known how it ends for three years.  :D

That's what the story wants you to think...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline WeatherOp

Chapter 6: The Fifth Trumpet(Continued)

May 23, Year 2371, 02:03 hours.

Shuttle Willham(En route to GTD Vega)

Simms watched out the view port as the Vega grew larger, his eyes weary. He was tired, yet he mind was still sharp. He thought about the weeks events. His mind wandered back to past battles and over strategies long used. He exhaled, he was now back in the present. The shuttle was quiet and dark, his light was the only one on. His eyes flicked back to the folder of orders he was reading. He picked up his glass of water and noticed the familiar lights on the outside of the hangar which grew steadily.

Sandra Dre worked furiously under the right-rear engine of a Perseus interceptor. Sweat mixed with grease and oil streaked down her face and falling on her red tank top. She hastily wiped the mix off with her forearm before reaching back up to try to screw in part of the fuel injection system. The part went in cross-threaded, and she let out a quiet curse before un-screwing the part to try again. She leaned back flat on the rolling board she was laying on and reached for a ratchet. She looked our the side and noticed a pair of boots. For a second she waited, knowing the question that was coming.

"Excuse me."

Said the deep voice. She cringed. She was very busy and certainly that person could see that. She cursed silently again as she rolled out from underneath the fighter craft with a scowl on her face. Her heart jumped in her throat as she found herself looking into the eyes of Simms. She hastily saluted. Simms looked over the fighter craft. He looked closely at the weapon bays, and newly replaced Prometheus II cannons. He then moved to the side and opened up the side panel on one of the engines. He looked through wiring and injectors, even down to the throttle control mechanism. Then turned to Dre.

"Everything looks good."

He nodded with approval and turned back to the ship. Dre exhaled quietly with relief.

"Have we received the scheduled shipment yet?"

Dre spoke up.

"No, only half. We received the shipment of Harpoons, but we are still waiting on the Trebuchets."

"Ok, that is acceptable. I'll leave you to finish your work."

Dre saluted once more, Simms returned it and walked off to the elevator. Dre felt her breathing return to normal and slid once more underneath the ship.

Simms stepped off the elevator, his mind full of thoughts. The past twenty-four hours had sent his head spinning. He reached his quarters and with a sigh opened the door. His mind was now so fuzzy with thoughts, all he could think about clearly was the need for sleep. He quickly realized something was very wrong. The room smelled of liquor. He noticed several empty glasses on his desk.

"Come sit down Peter."

The voice startled him a little. The chair in front of his desk turned around revealing James Hanley, his eyes tired from exhaustion and booze.

"What are you doing in my quarters?"

Simms asked calming, despite the subtle anger in his voice.

"I have something I need to tell you."

Hanley picked up the thick folder off the desk. Simms could see even in the dim light that it was the same folder he had seen Hanley carry in the briefing. Simms walked around the desk and sat down. He could clearly see Hanley was truly disturbed, a state he had never quite seen him like.

"Peter, A'thor was right. Unstable, yes, but he was right."

Simms stared at him a second.

"What do you mean he was right?"

Hanley handed Simms the folder.

"Peter, we were greedy and now we must pay the cost for all our misdoings."

Simms opened the folder and started flipping through it, although all of his attention was on Hanley. He stated calmly.

"Explain."

Hanley became frantic.

"I'm telling you, we have made our last mistake! We did exactly what they wanted. They used our greed once again to destroy us!"

Hanley had stood up, his hands on Simms' desk. He composed himself once more.

"Peter. They used us. They placed a bet on our stupidity and and it paid off. They waited with incredible patience."

"I'm guessing, "They" means the Shivans."

"Yes, or whatever they call themselves. In either case, they have proved themselves to be smarter and more have much more patience than we. They are the higher beings."

Simms placed his hand on his forehead.

"Hanley, it has been a long day, I'm tired and I still have to go over the exact orders from Command. I have mountains of reports to looke over and check up on and I have just a few hours to get some sleep. I myself need to be rested enough so I can put this ship in position to possibly win this battle."

He heard Hanley chuckle and the sound sent chills down his spine. He glanced up at Hanley. He had a sadistic grin on his face.

"Peter, we are doomed. A major Shivan incursion will occur in under forty-eight hours it will make the other two seem like practice rounds.

His expression darkened.

"They won't be playing with us this time."

Simms started to get angry. He pointed his finger at Hanley.

"Practice rounds? Do you forget all the people who died in those wars? Where are you getting this information?

Hanley just stared at him. No emotion on his face.

"Read the files Peter."

Simms tried hard to get his breathing under control and calm down, but his blood was boiling. He picked up the folder and started to read it angerily.

"They tricked us to be frank. Let me explain. Everything now fits into place like a puzzle. Ten thousand years ago a war raged. One species found itself on the losing end. Facing extinction they built huge doorways around subspace portals. Huge doorways with locks. A Knossos on each side of a jump node. Knowing they couldn't win out-right, but they could lock them out. Somehow they lured them into the doorways and locked them out. We now know the Shivans did not have the reasoning or possible technology to activate the Knossos."

Hanley paused and looked at Simms who was deep into reading the folder, occasionally looking out his view port into the depths of space. His chair back facing Hanley.

"The only reason you would lock something our is to protect something or someone else."

Hanley waited for a response from Simms, but there was none. He continued.

"Nearly ten thousand years later we come along. Greedy and lusting power and dominance, we take to space. Learn about subspace and us it to coninue our lust for glory. That was our mistake. Not long after, in the middle of the Vasudan War, we find the Knossos. We study it and again in our greed we unlock it. Somehow, some way, they laid a bet on our greed to take the best of us. They waited until we un-locked the door and rushed through it. After entering they formulated a plan. They fought us toe to toe, not any more or any less. Using the Lucifer, they destroyed Vasuda Prime which was only sport. The Vasudans were of little consequence to them. It worked in their favor of course, throwing us off their real objective. Then knowing that we would eventually find a way to destroy the Lucifer, they time it just right. To be frank, it was magnificent. They let us destroy the Lucifer on the way to SOL and collapse the Node. Exactly as they planned all along."

Hanley took a deep breath.

"They had planted their seed, in Aken Bosch. Warped his mind when he came face to face with them on that freighter. He was stupid enough to believe them. Got the information they needed and hand delivered it to them. Their strength was clear at the end of the last war. They could have destroyed us easily, but they didn't, no they didn't."

Hanley was up out of his chair now, walking back and forth, his mind deep in thought. Simms kept his eyes in the folder, while occasionally looking back at Hanley.

"Now why did they blow up the star. Was it testing a weapon or device, or was it just to confuse us?"

Hanley spoke to himself, but out loud.

"So, why have they spent so much time and effort to trick us into giving the the technology of the Knossos."

Simms finally spoke up, the folder on his lap.

"Flip to the last page of the folder."

Simms flipped to the end. There was a rudimentary sketch. The form was twisted, but faintly resembled a Knossos. It was much larger however, as it pictured a Knossos to the right of it.

"What is it?

Simms asked intently. Hanley stared at the drawing.

"That's A'thor's sketch. He called it "Gehenna". It means Hell."

Hanley said without emotion. Simms kept studying the drawing. Then three letters above the smaller Knossos caught his eye. He slid his glasses over his eyes and lifting the folder closer to his head. The letters were faintly scribbled. Then it dawned on him. The letters "SOL" were wrote and everything clicked. Then he remembered the report of the Knossos in SOL from Jacobs.

GTD Vega(Bridge)

Jay Hollis looked over the many computer stations from the Command balcony. He sipped hot coffee. He looked down at the communications desk.

"Any new reports from Command?"

"No sir."

A tech responded.

"Although there is something about the whereabouts of James Hanley."

Hanley, Hollis thought. Yes, he had seen his ID card pass through the system not two long ago. He reached down and pressed the intercom.

GTD Vega(Simms' quarters)

The intercom beeped, but Simms was now too occupied with his thoughts he did not hear it.

"So, this is what they are after."

Hanley nodded.

"It's the only thing that makes sense."

Simms continued to look at the drawing, fully transfixed.

"How would they know we would find the Knossos and decipher how to use them? Why didn't they use the Vasudans instead? They were more technology advanced at the first encounter. And how did they knew they could count on our greed?"

Hanley took a deep breath.

"Peter, there is only one explanation I can come up with, and it matched with what A'thor thought, and Bosch before him. The knew they could count on our faults and our greed because we made the same mistakes before."

Simms turned his head and looked straight into the serious eyes of Hanley.

GTD Vega(Bridge)

Hollis had tried to reach Simms' quarters three times. He started walking toward the elevator.

"Major Clark, you have the bridge until I return."

The solder saluted.

"Yes Sir."

GTD Vega(Simms' Quarters)

Simms was rubbing through the stubble on his chin, a freshly drained glass in front of him with the bottle of liquor still open. Hanley remained in the chair, un-moved and rigid.

"Does Command know about any of this?"

Simms said softly.

"I myself, have brought this information before them. They either don't believe it or do not believe it to be note and effort worthy."

"So, they believe the Galatea and the Omega can pull this one out."

Hanley nodded.

"Absolutely. You can almost smell the self-confidence flowing among them all. This is including all the top brass in the SOC.

"Vasadans?"

"They are more leery of the boasts the GTA has spoken, but they believe them. Just not hook, line and sinker."

Simms took a deep breath.

"What awaits for us in Ross 128?"

Hanley shook his head.

"Nothing, besides a few aging Rakshasa and Cain class cruisers and a Demon destroyer or two."

Simms shook his head.

"What?"

"Peter, the GTVI was ready to take on the full brunt of the Shivans with the Hades super destroyer. After it was destroyed, a few GTVI fighters flew into the Knossos to record any information before they closed the Knossos to hide it from Command. All they found was a empty system with no jump nodes. The Lucifer and it's battle group had waited, locked in that empty system for thousands of years. Command is just trying to get you out of their hair when the Galatea and Omega wipe out the Shivans once and for all. To be frank, they didn't want you to dis-obey orders and mess up a supposed flawless victory.

Simms shook his head, however what his superiors thought of him at that moment was not important to him. Hanley spoke up.

"Peter. from what I've read and understood we don't shape up good in this fight. We need the best Commanders at the forefront before GTVA Command digs us in a hole to deep. Peter, you know me and you know I wouldn't be telling you this information if I wasn't sure about it."

Simms leaned back in his chair.

"What is your move Peter."

A knock at the door. Simms slid his chair back abruptly and walked quickly to the door. He pressed the key and it opened only to find a startled Hollis in the hallway. He hastily saluted.

"Sorry sir, but we need your..."

Simms cut him off.

"Full stop."

Simms started walking hastily down the hall.

"Yes Sir."

Hollis was dumbfounded on the change of orders. Before he could answer Simms spoke, turning as he walked.

"I need to make some calls."

He continued walking.

Chapter 6 End.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 02:43:32 pm by WeatherOp »

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
 :yes: :yes: :yes:

And....and...?  :D
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
It's been a month and a half already. What the hell? Please, WeatherOp - I need to CONTINUE THE FRIGGIN STORY!!!!  :hopping:

...and the Galatea always reminds me of the GTVAngelion from JAD  :P
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Offline WeatherOp

Chapter 7: Locusts of Hell

System: Beta Aquilae

May 23, Year 2371, 02:15 hours.

Pike's Quarters

A blinding flash of blue light, Pike sat up quickly. His heart was pounding. He looked around the small, dark room. All he could hear was the clock ticking repeatedly on the wall, along with his heart beating and rapid breathing. He was soaked from sweat.

"Quite a nightmare."

He thought to himself. He glanced at the clock, a quarter past three.As his body awoke further, along came blistering pain in his head.  He placed his hand hard against his head and put his feet on the floor. Walking through his small, by private quarters he flicked on the light in the bathroom while turning the a small cabinet above the sink. Grabbing a white bottle of pain pills and quickly swallowing a couple, he looked back into the mirror. His eyes were blood-shot and he could see a deep red spot in the center of the bandages on his head. He hadn't had much sleep lately, in fact just about none at all. All the briefing sand debriefings were bad enough, but when he could sleep, nightmares would plague him to the point of staying awake. They would pass as he healed, he knew that, still he cursed quietly as he turned off the light and walked back to bed.

He walked to the window, he quickly noticed the stars and realized that the Vega had already jumped into Beta Aquilae. He looked back to his bed, rubbed his face with his hand and mumbled a curse before walking to his closet and grabbing his uniform.

System: System: Vega

May 23, Year 2371, 3:11 hours.

Bridge: GTVI  Krybo(SOC Command)

Col. Jacob Fowler peered into a terminal, starting intently on the information on the screen. All around him, chatter engulfs the area, terminals beeping, doors opening and closing, the mood tense. Still his attention remains fixed.

"Sir, we have them."

A officer shouted from the level above. Fowler walks up the steps into a round area, a 3D holographic map of all the known systems. Both Adhara and Ikeya systems are flashing red. Fowler nodes to the officer. The officer reaches and touches the hologram of the Adhara system. The 3D maps zooms in and flattens out showing icons of all jump nodes and know friendly and enemy locations. The main center piece, the Knossos. The officer touches a blinking fighter icon.

"Open channel."

Static fills the speakers for a moment before going clear. The only sound is breathing.

"Report."

The pilot spoke, his voice occasionally rasped by static.

"Sir, GTVA battle-groups closing in on the Knossos. Enemies consist of several cruisers and destroyers and two Sathnas class Juggernauts. Wait, a third has just entered the system, I repeat a third Sathnas Juggernaut."

Fowler folded his hands.

"Pilot, Colonel Fowler, how long before the GTVA battle group is in firing range."

A burst of static.

"Sir, at current pace, forty-six minutes."

"Thank you, keep us updated."

The transmission ended.

"Sir."

A tech replied.

"Just in, reported that the battle group in Ikeya will be in firing range in thirty-nine minutes."

Fowler smiled, almost showtime.

An officer placed his hand on Fowler's should and whispered into his ear.

"Thank you."

Fowler walked to an empty communication's desk and placed the headset over his ears.

"Commander Harold."

A voice fizzed across the headset.

"Colonel Fowler."

"Orders."

He heard the man on the other end breathe deeply.

"The board agrees with you. Both GTA Command and SOC Command has placed you in charge of this conflict. We're still working on convincing the Vasudan Parliament."

Fowler smirked.

"We hope this trust isn't un-founded."

"It's not."

Fowler quickly rebutted. Then he grinned.

"If it is, no one will be around to remember it."

"Doesn't inspire confidence, I'm afraid."

"If anything, your fears are un-founded. We will quickly resolve this conflict once and for all. We know their motive, all we have to do is set the bait and then set the hook. Let me remind you, the bait is placed."

The line was quiet. Then the muffled voice whispered back over the line.

"Yes, lets finally have peace."

The line went dead. Fowler placed the headset back on the desk and walked back to the map in the center of the room.

System: System: Adhara

May 23, Year 2371, 3:34 hours.

Bridge: GTD Nautilus

Captain Henry Prichard stared quietly into the main forward facing view screen. His hand firmly gripped on the railing. In the middle of the screen is the distant, but growing Knossos. The Knossos isn't the center of his attention. The enormous device had the likeness of a wasp nest, and around it the insects themselves were swarming.

"Sir."

An First Officer Andrew McNight walked up the steps and handed him a piece of paper.

"Number of observed enemies and classes."

Prichard quickly read over the paper and threw it to the floor visibly shaken.

"Sir, with all due respect, this is suicide. Sir, we need to turn back."

Prichard's stomach froze over, he began to feel frantic as his heart rate rose. He looked in the view screens from the rear of the ship and looked over the large fleet he was leading. He wasn't a coward. He had always completed his mission. All the lives that depended on him. The fleet was solidly behind him, not wavering.

"No, we will only turn around when we reach the waypoint."

He continued to look forward. The officer just starred.

May 23, Year 2371, 3:53 hours.

"Sir, the fleet is two minutes from the way point, shall I send the signal?"

Fowler gave his full attention to the giant holographic grid in the center of the room. The grid showed the fleet, comprised of  twenty-four destroyers, corvettes and cruisers moving toward the Knossos where the massive Shivan fleet outnumbered them nearly two to one.

"No, just a little while longer."

Prichard felt the sweat drip down his face and back, but white knuckled, he stood quietly. An alarm sounded and the red warning lights flashed twice over the bridge.

"Sir!"

A Tech screamed from below.

"We have been sensor locked. Sensors show several cruisers and Corvettes powering up engines and moving toward us. Sensors also show the destroyers and the three Sathni deploying fighters and bombers heavy, but are still stationary!"

Prchard knew what that meant. They knew that the meager strike force was doomed and now procedded to play with them. He felt nausea rise up in his chest. Another loud alarm.

"Sir, we've reached the way point!"

Prichard wasted no time.

"McNight message the fleet. Full starboard, retreat back to the node at full speed!"

"Yes Sir."

The lights dimmed and the ship shook.

Prichard looked up at the view screen. A Moloch class corvette had entered firing range, firing it's forward beam cannon with impacted the rear hull of the vessel.

"Status!"

"All decks show minimal damage, armor absorbed most of the impact. Shall we return fire?"

"Negative!"

Prichard shouted.

"All available energy into the engines."

The Hecate destroyer turned quickly, as did the rest of the fleet. Trails from the thrusters poured into space.

Prichard gripped the handle with all his strength. The hard turn sent cups and papers of stations and crew members off their feet. The pressure slowly ceased and looking up at the screen Prichard now looked at the engines of the rest of the fleet in mass retreat.

"How long before the fighters and bombers reach us?"

"A Minute, Sir."

"Power up anti-fighter beam cannons and get gunnery control to ready the flak and laser cannons."

"Sir!"

A Tech screamed.

"Incoming jump signatures, enemy configuration."

Prichard looked up at multiple view-screens. Many subspace portals opened and he felt the slight hope he was feeling only a moment ago shatter into hopeless despair.

"Sir, several several destroyers and corvettes have exited subspace. Sensors show a new class of destroyer and corvette among them, designating the corvette Agni."

Prichard felt helpless. Where was the reinforcements? His mind snapped back to reality.

"Communicate with the fleet, tell them to launch all fighters and bombers and power up all photon beam cannons. Order them to fire at will!!"

"Yes Sir."

"Have gunnery control fire at will.

May 23, Year 2371, 3:59 hours.

"Command this is the GTD Damascus, we are heavily out numbered. Please advise."

The command center was silent. Only the occasional cough or whisper could be heard.

"Command do you read? The is Prichard, where are the reinforcements? We are out numbered and taking casualties. Please assist."

The technician at the communication desk spoke.

"Sir, should be assist?"

Fowler stood, unmoving staring transfixed on the holographic map. The map showed a tangle of red and green ships, the greens ship dwindling. The technician looked back and asked once more.

"Sir?"

Fowler didn't even flinch. The technician then understood and looked back solemnly at his desk. The answer was clear and he was helpless. The entire room listened quietly to the cries for help and screams over the communications channel.

"Command, this is Prichard, we need help now plea......"

The ship shook and the lights dimmed, Prichard stumbled before catching a computer station and steadying himself.

"Status!"

"Light damage in quadrant four and five with moderate hull damage. No atmosphere venting.

Prichard cursed. Where was the reinforcements.

The Hecate destroyer turned with the noticeable crumple in the hull on the rear-right. Gunnery control zoned in on a Cain class cruiser. Power surged from the beam batteries. The first lance of green light slashed across the cruiser ripping a large scar down one side. half of the cruiser's red engine sputtered and exploding rocking the ship to the side. A second later the destroyer's larger direct fire beam blasted through the ship. The whole vessel was pushed back until the mighty sword of light cut through the ship at mid-point. As the beam dissipated, a hue hole remained in it's stead. With most of the core of the ship disintegrated, it collapsed at the mid-point, all running lights fading out as the ship bowed up and the engines collided with the top bar.

Prichard watched as the cruiser faded black.

"Good shooting Gunnery."

As he spoke a giant flash lit up the view screens, seconds later the whole ship shook.

"Sir, we just lost the Damascus."

The moment's victory was overcome and the situation was once again hopeless.

"Sir, brace for impact."

Half a klick away, an Agni class corvette, Destitute closed in. It's wasp like hull, flashing red over it's grotesque spikes and bone like super-structure zoned in on the mid-section of the Nautilus. Beginning with a fain blue glow, red particles gathered at the front of the ship. The glow grew and became bright as a star, pulsating blue and white, red particles leaping from within. A bright flash of light and with it came a lance of red. The beam tore through multiple decks. Molten steel from the impact scattered across the hull like small meteors exploding into fragments as the hit the hull.

even with the small warning, the impact threw crew members on the bridge upward and sideways. Monitors crashed down as the overhead lights sparked and exploding, raining down sparks. Prichard was slammed into the floor.

The beam continued for six seconds, tearing through decks and floors like paper and blowing it out the other side of the ship. Small explosions blew out more floors and huge jets of flame poured into space from multiple locations. The beam finally faded out, but it had served it's purpose. A large section of hull was missing, explosions and fires continued at deck collapsed.

Prichard stood to his feet, the bridge half bathed in darkness. He could hear moans and in the faint light see Technicians pulling themselves back into their desks.

"Damage report."

"Catastrophic damage to the entire top half of the read one-forth of the ship. Reactor damaged and performing under half efficiency, only one engine responding, half fuel lines damaged or incapacitated, main engineer station not responding to inquiry."

The tech spoke with horror in his voice. Prichard knew what he had to do.

"Issue order abandon ship. Get everyone to the escape pods. McNight!"

Mcnight ran to him holding a powerful flashlight. Blood dripping from his eyebrow, his clothes torn.

"Yes sir."

"Oversee the evaluation. Hurry, you don't have much time."

"Yes sir. Everyone follow me"

McNight started to run toward the stars with several technicians and personnel behind him.  Prichard grabbed the tech on the shoulder and out of the chair.

"Hurry, go!"

The tech looked right into his captain's eye and began to run toward the stairs. Prichard looked up to find he wasn't along. Several technicians and officers remained. He smiled.

"Gunnery control train all remaining guns on the Destitute. Lets provide a parting shot."

A Herc Mk Two chased a Nehema bomber from behind, weaving around exposed support beams and through fire and smoke billowing from the side of the wounded vessel. He heard the targeting system beep and let loose with his chained Prometheus and kayser lasers. The lasers nailed the bomber, ripping into the hull. Fire spewed and an explosion ripped the ship apart. It was then he realized it was too late. In front of the newly formed debris cloud a torpedo snaked it's way into the hull and exploded.

Running down the corridors with the others, McNight was thrown into the wall by the impact. Several others were thrown to the floor. He stood up.

"Everyone, hurry!"

The destroyer, pouring smoke and flame from several places along with the huge rift along the side sluggishly turned to face the Destitute. A orb of green light appeared and a beam slashed across the hull of the ship. Particles from the impact pour around the ship, but was the beam faded to blackness, only minimal damage was done. The familiar blue glow formed under the head of the black ship, and quickly illuminated the entire corvette. The beam poured out with fury and tore into the hull of the Hecate class destroyer once more.

McNight and the other had just entered the fighter bay when the beam hit. Throwing fighters and service equipment across the landing bay like toys and crew members into the floor. McNight looked up from the floor to see the Hermes shuttles were ready and a few hundred crew members were entering the ships. He stood up and waved toward the others.

"Hurry, we don't have much time."

They ran toward the shuttles.

The red pillar of light fading, leaving a huge hole in the center of the ship. Fire poured out and explosions begin to rip through floors, becoming larger. The entire top section of the ship began to sag and collapse into the void. Support beams were thrown like matchsticks into space as desks fell into one another before detonating.

Prichard pushed himself slow off his hands unto his feet. Alarms were wailing, half of the bridge had collapsed and only the occasional spark lit of the now dark bridge. He could here a rumble. The sound of an unstoppable beast roaring towards him. He turned toward the main door, only to see it explode towards him, with fire and heat and shrapnel.

The shuttles were lifting off the floor of the landing bay, moving towards the exit. McNight looked a view port to see other crew members below running towards them and yelling. He knew it was too late. The bay started collapsing. The shuttles pick up speed and the great bay doors opened and the eight ships blasted out of the bay. He kept watching out of the view port. Explosions were ripping through the once mighty vessel. A closer explosion caught his eye, temporarily blinding him. As he vision readjusted, he saw it. Out of the explosion came a large steel support beam. He watched as it blasted out of the fire and he was stunned. It pieced through the rear of the Shuttle with incredible force. Crew members were sucked out into the vacuum. He held on and turned around. He watched as the flaming hull of the Nautilus grew larger. He shut his eyes. The shuttle bounced off the hull, ripping apart as it did before exploding.

Several explosions ripped through the Nautilus tearing the ship apart in an impressive final flash. Only one badly weakened destroyer remained, pouring fire and smoke, along with a Deimos class corvette. As the Shivans closed in a giant flash lit up the immediate space bathing the ships in blue light. Immediately after exiting subspace the Omega was firing all it's batteries. It's two main beams cannons tore into a Sathnas juggernaut, ripping off two of it's forward spikes while the other tore into the vessel itself. Smaller beams, missiles and laser cannons shredded destroyers and corvettes alike. Within ten minutes the massacre was over and space was full of debris.

Admiral Lewis Looked over what destruction he vessel had wrought. Immediately friendly support vessel arrived. Several cruisers, corvettes and destroyers, which also included Vasudan ships. Lewis looked ahead toward the Knossos.

"Command shall we proceed."

A crackle fizzed through first, then the voice of Fowler.

"Proceed, enter the Knossos and set up a perimeter on the other side."

"Understood."

The large black ship moved toward the Knossos, plowing over still sparking debris, and entered subspace.

System: System: Unknown

May 23, Year 2371, 4:17 hours.

Bridge: SOC Omega

The system was quiet, no sign of enemy presence. Lewis looked around at each view-screen studying it. The only thing of importance in the system was a nebulae straight ahead. Lewis stared on it intently. For a moment the nebula flash brightly. He walked down to the navigation station. Feeling his presence the tech spoke before Lewis said a word.

"Sir, we are getting very high levels of radio-activity from the nebulae, the computer reports high chance of a pulsar at the center. Likely from a recent supernova."

Somehow that sent a chill down his back.

"Align star charts, locate current position. Where the heck are we."

Lewis spoke loudly.

"Capella."

A tech spoke up. Lewis turned around.

"Impossible, run the data again."

"I did sir, three times. The computer reports a ninety-sever percent certainly that this is Capella, the only different is no planets and the Pulsar. Sir, the star charts match perfectly."

Lewis looked back up at the nebulae. He watched as the nebulae lit up in sections, illuminated by the spinning remnants of Capella one."

"Sir, Sensors just reported a new Knossos."
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 08:18:54 am by WeatherOp »

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
That's a fantastic read, WeatherOp. Good job. :nod:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Please don't let this slide into the Abyss! This has gone on for so long and I have thoroughly enjoyed each and every installment. :)

New year....new update? :)

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
:bump::nervous:
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012

I do hope WeatherOp has not forgotten about this?  :D
I hope he continues as this is something that could be made into what Blue Planet is if you ask me.  :yes:

:bump: :bump: :bump:
It's been a Longggg time. Will we ever see the end of this awesome story? just askin! :)