Author Topic: PCS2 UI revamp -- Now looking for suggestions  (Read 40140 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: PCS2 UI revamp -- Now looking for suggestions
PCS2 messes up the submobels when saving and then reloading POF->COB->POF (For rescaling)
(Try to export mjolnair (beamsaber.pof) to cob and then opening the cob,the grind02a submodel gets messed up)

i think a scaling tool would be good for this kinda thing. you could convert the model to pmf, scale, and recompile to pof internally without any additional saving or any new files. the point of pmf is to provide an easily editable format to work with.  theres really no reason to go back through cob to edit stuff. thats just another unnecessary conversion process which could lead to errors. scaleing should be available at any level of heirarchy from global to individual subobjects to groups of subobjects. any data chunks such as docks and gunpoints connected to those should also be scaled where applicable. same should apply to rotation and translation. not really something i need as i like to do as little editing in pcs2 as possible, but just something that uses existing capabilities.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 03:45:03 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
scaling in the tool is planned.  Please check the first post of this thread: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=41648.0
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline x3110

• New at the community!!!
People like me would still need cob format for rescalling ships as it's easy(for the most part) unless there is a conversion scaling factor for dae too,or probably for internal pmf format.
It might be a good idea to add a feature to rescale the ships(or even better adjust length,breadth & height separately)
Hate the ads at Mediafire.
Skip most of them by adding "#2" at the end of link!

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
please check the thread i linked - that's the official roadmap. i've updated it in the last few days.  Model rescaling in PCS2 (That would be in the PMF format) is supported.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
And I'm hoping that handles _everything_?  Rescaling all coordinates, including paths, glowpoints, subobjects, shield meshes, etc?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
its not implemented yet, but that was the plan

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
-The long delays when many objects exist and double repaints.  Try putting a couple hundred dock points on a ship and you will see what I mean. 
-Global import imports MOI data if not already set.
-Global import imports rotation and axis
-Ability to auto generate a single path instead of all
-Ability to auto generate paths for subobjects with $special=subsystem
-it's already been said but resize
-again already said but that dang splash screen taking focus
-points shown at actual size/position.  These seem to scale and/or drift with either ship size or distance from center.  If your trying to place a special point on a large model where and how big it shows in PCS2 isn't what you get in game.  Same with thrusters and glow points.
-Don't minimize trees when switching between branches.  For instance between docking points and paths. 
-This might be better then the above.  Allow multiple tree views so you can list things like docking points and paths side by side for easy editing.  For weapons you could have subobject, turret, and path trees for quick copy/pasting of coordinates.

I personally love the current layout it's just some functionality that has issues.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
-points shown at actual size/position.  These seem to scale and/or drift with either ship size or distance from center.  If your trying to place a special point on a large model where and how big it shows in PCS2 isn't what you get in game.  Same with thrusters and glow points.

I think I discussed the same bug earlier with Kaz on IRC.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline x3110

• New at the community!!!
Also,
The ability to rotate submodels by an angle,
like if you import some submodel from another model and it is not at the right angle which you would like!
Hate the ads at Mediafire.
Skip most of them by adding "#2" at the end of link!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Also,
The ability to rotate submodels by an angle,
like if you import some submodel from another model and it is not at the right angle which you would like!

rotation shouldnt be any more difficult than scale.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
The main things I want to change are
1) The GLCanvas grabbing focus whenever the mouse is over it
This, a thousand times this.

One thing I would like to see is being able to select multiple subobjects (turrets) at once for easy editing. (Manually having to select the Movement type and Axis from a drop down menu for 20+ turrets gets old rather fast)

*edit: stupid typo

Two Million Times THIS

Having to change each thruster and weapon orientation one-by-one is easily one of the most tedious and time consuming part in model importation.
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Use copy-paste?
That's what I do for turret/thruster orientation.

Still, the functionality would be nice.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I'd like to be able to edit shields in PCS2 (that's pretty much the only reason I still use Modelview).
Modelview also has another interesting feature, converting missile banks to guns and the other way around.
That would also come in handy from time to time, doing it "by hand" is boring and involves a lot of copypasting.
As for bugfixes, PCS2 sometimes takes cursor out of the text box I'd like to edit, it becomes a bit frustrating to have it suddenly do that in the middle of writing (if I move the mouse, cursor returns, but sometimes it happen a few times in a row).

Offline Droid803

Oh right, yeah also, if your mouse isn't over the right hand sidebar, trying to type in the textboxes there doesn't work, so you have to make sure your mouse is there. If you bump it off, then you have to retype what you just tried to type...

Minor thing, but hey, we're improving the UI right? :P
(´・ω・`)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Actually, that was one of the very first things I fixed.... (If you look upthread, you'll see me talking about "the GLCanvas focus grabbing" issue, that's basically that. As soon as you move the mouse over the area where the ship is rendered, that control gets mouse focus (i.e. it gets treated as if you clicked in it), which of course means that all other controls lose focus.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Droid803

Ah, nice to see that it's fixed :)
(´・ω・`)

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Here's a little idea I came up with...

Instead of:

What about this? (mockup)
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
 :yes:

At least, unless/until we get support for generic-axis rotation, or stuff other than rotation.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It makes sense, even if we do get that, as it simplifies the default layout.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Ability to manually set rotation lines for any kind of an object. I hate when my turret rotates in other way than the one I desire.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/