Author Topic: A new GTF Apollo [WIP]  (Read 27972 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I like that cockpit in the middle, Thaeris. Can you model?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I'm going to go with Battuta here, I think the concept art looks class.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I can indeed model, but my skillset at the time of forming that artwork was a little behind. That said, I've not touched the Apollo for a long time, and probably won't for some time to come.

Again, I'd state that the design as presented in the concept art should only be taken lightly. Reverting to that design is a fairly sustantial deviation from the established Apollo design.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Again, I'd state that the design as presented in the concept art should only be taken lightly. Reverting to that design is a fairly sustantial deviation from the established Apollo design.
Well I think incorporating some design ideas from the concept art can't go wrong.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
idgaf about what it looks like, make it cool

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I think you should go more

and push the side pods in the concept to look better, etc. see, your model has the problem of trying to model in the texture detail, which will be better handled and more noticeable using normal mapping, I do commend making it less sharp, as I think that makes a lot of sense and looks nicer, but I'd definitely try modeling the concept art as the HTL (since it's so close it won't affect balance and I'll bet if Volition had the polies, they'd have made it like that maybe)

I'm going to say no. When it comes to HTL-ing a ship, take concept art with a grain of salt. What is in-game is what we're familiar with, and can be said to represent what the intended design is aimed to be.
We're all familiar with tradition, but that does not mean it's a good thing, and considering how damned close the concept is to the final model it's very likely that Volition wanted it to look as much like the concept as possible.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Personally, I like the sleek, minimalist look of the Apollo as it was made in FS1. I see very little evidence for any of that bulky armour in the retail model - [V] appears to have made a conscious decision to lose it, possibly when the Apollo went from GTB to GTF? Regardless, the way Sara's gone, with the bendy bits and whatnot - looks great, though I'm not sure how well the original texs will adapt - may have to make at least some of them from scratch.

Anyway, good job so far Sara, looking forward to the finished product.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline -Sara-

Updated! Went for the retail canopy after all. Does look better this way.

Personally, I like the sleek, minimalist look of the Apollo as it was made in FS1. I see very little evidence for any of that bulky armour in the retail model - [V] appears to have made a conscious decision to lose it, possibly when the Apollo went from GTB to GTF? Regardless, the way Sara's gone, with the bendy bits and whatnot - looks great, though I'm not sure how well the original texs will adapt - may have to make at least some of them from scratch.

Anyway, good job so far Sara, looking forward to the finished product.

I'm retexturing the ship entirely, from scratch. :) Was the intention all along.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 01:36:04 pm by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You know, whatever happens it's going to be awesome awesomeness.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I kind of liked the supports, but the update still looks amazing.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Might I insist that you get rid of the "frog ears" on the nosecone sides? I've always hated those things.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: A new GTF Apollo [WIP]
I don't mean to bump the thread and be a bother, but I was wondering if there's anything new with your model.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Moved to FSPort upgrade.

Offline Hades

'Allo. FSOSara approached me to finish up the Apollo, including clean up and mesh improvement. I just started working on the top intakes.

Thoughts?
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Looks good. It's smooth, but doesn't break the overall feeling, which is good.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Hades

Thanks. As per request of Black Wolf, here's a shot with them on the retail model.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
 :eek:

That makes me excited.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
I bet one of those intakes has more polies than the entire retail model.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Yaaaaay! Someone's working on the HTL Apollo again! That's worth a lot of cred in my opinion :)
Previous Projects: Ancient-Shivan War | GTF Durandal

Current Projects: Exile: Into The Dark Waters (Proof-editing/misc)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
It looks overly smooth for the Apollo. I would resort to looking to the cutscene model in the intro for panel details and structure shapes.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke