Author Topic: Hosting Request: Starshatter  (Read 11277 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Hosting Request: Starshatter
The problem is that starshattermods.com is down, and that its administrator is seemingly unavailable at the moment, thus making it a bit difficult to contact the preexisting community.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Well, I don't know, but I think it's worse than that.  The website's 404 page seems to indicate that the domain name has been bought out by someone else..

Maybe I'm just a paranoid snuffleupagus, but I thought it was worth mentioning..
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Assuming there's an existing community to "integrate/ingratiate" with our own, I'm for it :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Can't we just assimilate the Starshatter community and add their technological and semantic distinctiveness to our own?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Can't we just assimilate the Starshatter community and add their technological and semantic distinctiveness to our own?

Yes, we can!

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
HLP, the Borgs of the modders community :P
el hombre vicio...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The problem is that starshattermods.com is down, and that its administrator is seemingly unavailable at the moment, thus making it a bit difficult to contact the preexisting community.

Difficult, but not impossible?  Because this request presupposes the ability to tell them about HLP...

I think we ought to hear from a few senior members of Starshatter before speculating further.

I think it would be great to have Starshatter here at HLP. My WiH project has stalled a little due to problems I've been having with the engine. Things like shields and ai acting like wussies. Once the project is here I'm sure people will follow. I can post at all the boards that I frequent and drum up some people. The only person from SSmods that I know is here is Brad but I don't know if he can get in contact with others.

http://youtu.be/okWp4ph7dxc

Here's a vid that I made to show some of the progress I made with WiH. There's some vexing problems with ai aggressiveness in that they don't shoot back unless they launch from a ship or jump in. And for some strange reason if you launch from a ship you have to charge your shields manually. 

Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
That's freakin' great, Good Sir!

:yes:

As far as the AI is concerned, even on SS mods the full extent of the ship tables/definition files were not explained. If there's not enough data in the previously supplied documentation, you might want to start looking through the "Ship" code in the Stars45 directory (if you have a copy of the source code). Those files should be listing every entry type SS is capable of reading from a .def file - I'd like to think the "avoid ship" entry ties into the AI performance, etc., etc.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Well, if enough people mention Starshatter and the website, starshattermods.com , then Google will bring all of the ones thoughtful enough to search to our waiting assimilation tubules arms...

EDIT: Created a thread to attempt to grab anyone unfortunate enough to be stuck in the vastness of space, searching for their station.  Please review for any search terms I might have missed and feel free to add them.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:01:21 pm by jr2 »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Okay, it's been a week. I have not been contacted by any members of the starshatter community, nor have I been able to find anything elseweb regarding the status of starshattermods.com.

I would like to renew the request for a subboard.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I have not been contacted by any members of the starshatter community, nor have I been able to find anything elseweb regarding the status of starshattermods.com.

That would seem to support not giving them a board, though.  If nobody in the Starshatter community wants to come here without having a board, then why should we do them any favors?  And if you haven't been able to reach any Starshatter people so far, then what are your chances of reaching them if the board is in fact created?

Before you think I'm being a negative Nellie, consider that the discussion would be quite different if we had a swarm of newly registered Starshatter fans in this thread saying "Yeah, wouldn't it be great if we had a new forum in HLP!" or "Please help us, we have nowhere to go with Starshattermods down!"  But that hasn't happened.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
If nobody in the Starshatter community wants to come here without having a board, then why should we do them any favors?

:confused:

Why would we expect the starshatter community to visit a Freespace forum for reasons other than Freespace when there are literally hundreds of thousands of other forums on the internet they could visit for reasons other than Freespace? I wouldn't think hosting a Starshatter subforum would be a favor as much of another reason for people to come to HLP. In fact I don't think I'd want to visit a place online where people act like they're doing me a favor by giving me a place to talk about things that interest me. I would love to see a Starshatter forum here, though I'm not an admin and wouldn't have to put up with the maintenance implications that brings.

I don't understand. The fact is there are quite a few people here that want this to happen. MatthTheGeek was allowed a board for HWBP when the project was just him. Why can't Starshatter get the same consideration?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
HWBP is an offshoot of an existing project, not a brand new project.  And certainly not a transplant of an entire community from one website to another.

As has been mentioned before, HLP is not a democracy.  Just because a bunch of people like something doesn't necessarily mean that will happen.  There need to be good reasons for it.  I am not opposed to a Starshatter board per se, as I've said before; it sounds like a cool idea.  But cool ideas don't go anywhere if they have nobody to move them along.

The core problem is that The E wants this to be a transplant of an existing Starshatter community, but he has no way to contact any of them, and none of the existing Starshatter community members have shown up at HLP anticipating an imminent move.

I haven't seen anyone give a satisfactory answer to the problems I raise.  In fact, I think this effort would succeed better as a new hosted project request than a community transplant.  If so, then The E would need to approach this like a new hosted project application, demonstrating internal organization, a staff, a website, and verifiable progress, like others have had to do.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Why don't you just create a space for starshatter and come August 2012 if the space goes dead just remove it?

If no one is active in the space, no one will care about the board getting deleted.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
If no one is active in Starshatter, then they won't care about the board not getting created in the first place, will they?

And so far that appears to be exactly what is happening.

Wait, I just posted an example of my WiH starshatter mod. Not to mention I wouldn't call The E a casual poster around these parts. The interest and support are there. So what exactly is the magic number?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
rscaper, you were far more active in the Starshatter community than I was - Braddw has posted here and was a senior member on their boards. Perhaps you could consider e-mailing him to determine if he could find a few more of their community members that might be interested in re-assembling the community here on HLP?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Why don't you just create a space for starshatter and come August 2012 if the space goes dead just remove it?

If no one is active in the space, no one will care about the board getting deleted.

If no one is active in Starshatter, then they won't care about the board not getting created in the first place, will they?

And so far that appears to be exactly what is happening.

:wtf:

Am I missing something here? I thought the Starshatter community was active up until their website broke. It's like not rescuing a drowning man because dead people don't care if you didn't rescue them.