Author Topic: Wine vs. Native  (Read 3499 times)

wine fs2_open_3_6_12r_INF_SSE2.exe seems to work equally well as  [i\./s2_open_3_6_12_INF_r[/i]. This might sound like a stupid question, but if wine is installed, is there a reason to prefer the native executable to the windows version?

Now that wxlauncher is in such fine shape, launcher6.exe is no longer a compelling answer. But if the windows version has extra optimizations built in, I could imagine it having better performance than the native version. (But then, you guys would know more about this than me!)

Thanks for the help, and happy FREDing!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Well, you'll probably get better support for fixing bugs found in native rather than in windows+wine :)  And I don't believe that there are any extra optimisations in the Windows version, so speed wise I'd expect native to run slightly faster due to not having to go through the wine compatibility layer.  Having said that, when I played WCS:DD using wine it seemed to perform about as well as FSO normally does (based purely on my observations, not any test data)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Actually, I'm not sure Linux will ever compile with things like SSE2 optimizations on by default.  We could possibly add some configuration settings for that to the makefile, but right now I think it's still compiling with basic GCC options.  So a SSE2 Windows build might run as well or faster because of that.  But you're definitely right about the support, if you're going that route you're pretty much on your own, as we barely have enough Linux devs to keep the native binary running.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Well, both of them work marvelously for myself and everyone I've shared them with. If I ever do experience problems, I certainly know which binary I should ask about, but for now I'm just a very happy pilot. For the time being, I think I'll run the windows version, if only because wxlauncher doesn't yet compile into a standalone executable yet.

Thanks for answering my silly questions. Fly sharp!   ;)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Actually, I'm not sure Linux will ever compile with things like SSE2 optimizations on by default.  We could possibly add some configuration settings for that to the makefile, but right now I think it's still compiling with basic GCC options.  So a SSE2 Windows build might run as well or faster because of that. 

Well, the linux 32bit compile doesn't use SSE2 by default (we'd have to enable it in configure.ac), but the 64bit one does :)

Code: (configure.ac) [Select]
    x86_64-*-linux*)
        # linux
        echo "Using 64-bit Unix defines (for $host_os)"
        fs2_os_unix="yes"
        D_CFLAGS="$D_CFLAGS -m64 -march=athlon64 -ansi"
        D_CFLAGS="$D_CFLAGS -DLUA_USE_LINUX"

k8, opteron, athlon64, athlon-fx
    AMD K8 core based CPUs with x86-64 instruction set support. (This supersets MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3dNOW!, enhanced 3dNOW! and 64-bit instruction set extensions.)

and

-mfpmath=unit
    Generate floating point arithmetics for selected unit unit. The choices for unit are:

`387'
        Use the standard 387 floating point coprocessor present majority of chips and emulated otherwise. Code compiled with this option will run almost everywhere. The temporary results are computed in 80bit precision instead of precision specified by the type resulting in slightly different results compared to most of other chips. See -ffloat-store for more detailed description.

This is the default choice for i386 compiler.
    `sse'
        Use scalar floating point instructions present in the SSE instruction set. This instruction set is supported by Pentium3 and newer chips, in the AMD line by Athlon-4, Athlon-xp and Athlon-mp chips. The earlier version of SSE instruction set supports only single precision arithmetics, thus the double and extended precision arithmetics is still done using 387. Later version, present only in Pentium4 and the future AMD x86-64 chips supports double precision arithmetics too.

For the i386 compiler, you need to use -march=cpu-type, -msse or -msse2 switches to enable SSE extensions and make this option effective. For the x86-64 compiler, these extensions are enabled by default.

The resulting code should be considerably faster in the majority of cases and avoid the numerical instability problems of 387 code, but may break some existing code that expects temporaries to be 80bit.

This is the default choice for the x86-64 compiler.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken