Author Topic: Antipodes 9 - SDL Everywhere  (Read 39774 times)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Re: Antipodes 9 - SDL Everywhere
I've been working Internally with m|m and z64555 on testing and iterating feedback for issues. Not FF related (yet) but for mouse control and input.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Steel01

I'm running into a problem compiling off antipodes current svn that I can't replicate on current trunk or 10550 (last trunk sync to antipodes). The briefing and pre-briefing voices are getting cut off after about half a second. But it doesn't do that all the time. Every once in a while, one will play correctly. I have had no problem with the in game sounds and voice clips so far. I can't peg down any trigger for it working or not right now, though.

My environment:
Fedora 20 x86_64 (updated today)
Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 (integrated Realtek ALC892)
Nvidia GTX 760
fs2_open antipodes branch updated today

I was preparing to test the force feedback code when I get a Sidewinder FFB2 next week, but ran into this first.

Steel01
Snips from Hackers Defend Liberty (Definitions for hacker):
But I like rescuing good words from sad bad fates, and so I cling to Eric Raymond's definition:
    "1. A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary...
    "7. One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.

I also like tinkerer, as defined by Freedom to Tinker:
    "Your freedom to understand, discuss, repair, and modify the technological devices you own."

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I've also noticed this issue, I believe it's a problem with .wav playback on Linux & not on windows. Not sure why since SDL shouldn't touch that at all  :confused:  Anyway, if you test with retail assets (i.e. no mod) I believe the briefing music will also cut out.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Steel01

Yeah, confirmed on retail assets. Plus an odd, really short loop in the background music during the briefing that hasn't happened to me yet on the 2014 media vps. Which, if it is a wav problem, that makes sense since the remastered music is ogg, iirc.

Steel01
But I like rescuing good words from sad bad fates, and so I cling to Eric Raymond's definition:
    "1. A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary...
    "7. One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.

"Your freedom to understand, discuss, repair, and modify the technological devices you own."

Offline m!m

As far as I know there is something the SDL port could have changed and that is the threading stuff for .wav playback.

Offline Steel01

Got my FFB2 in today and ran it through my build of the antipodes branch. Haptic feedback isn't working for me either. Input seems great otherwise. All the axis' were perfectly centered, even after I mapped bank to z axis.

Steel01

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
So I guess it's not just my FFB1 having problems then.  Good to know.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Steel01

Nope. And not just Windows either. Which kinda surprised me since the haptic code was based against Linux.

Steel01

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
So, that's very odd since taylor definitely had that code running on Linux, and specifically mentioned the extreme effect he was getting.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Steel01, were you saying that you're using Linux?  We have a compiled version of the SDL testrumble application for 64-bit Linux available here if you want to see that the SDL haptic code definitely works with your joystick.  I'll be trying to get a OS X and/or Windows version available of that test app soon too.

Offline Steel01

INFO: 1 Haptic devices detected.
INFO: Device: Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick
ERROR: Failed to initialize rumble: Haptic: Device has no free space left.

I got this thing used. Might there be a problem with it?

Steel01

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It's trying to load the haptic effects onto the stick, but I think that's where mine fails too.  I doubt it's your stick.

Offline Steel01

Okay. But now I'm interested. Is that a generic SDL2 program, or something put together by the SCP? If it's generic, I'm surprised that part of the library passed testing like that. If it's not generic, I'm going to have to find something Linux based that supports force feedback and see if it really does work.
Steel01

Offline Steel01

Well, the problem with FF on my FFB2 don't appear to be SCP related. I can't even get the ff-util programs to do anything. It appears to be a kernel module problem.
Code: [Select]
kernel: usb 7-4: New USB device found, idVendor=045e, idProduct=001b
kernel: usb 7-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
kernel: usb 7-4: Product: SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick
kernel: usb 7-4: Manufacturer: Microsoft
kernel: input: Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:16.0/usb7/7-4/7-4:1.0/input/input6
kernel: hid-generic 0003:045E:001B.0001: device reports 0 simultaneous effects
kernel: hid-generic 0003:045E:001B.0001: pid_block_load failed 60 times
kernel: hid-generic 0003:045E:001B.0001: upload request failed
kernel: hid-generic 0003:045E:001B.0001: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.00 Joystick [Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick] on usb-0000:00:16

Says it can load 0 effects. So, I'm off to attempt some module debugging. Probably won't get very far, though.

Steel01

Offline LHN91

Getting back into FSO and figured I'd start out here.

Playing through a couple of campaigns using this, with a terrible no-name usb joystick (12 button, 4-axis, 8 position hat). So far, more or less exactly like playing with standard builds. This stick is supposed to support FF, but only with the provided drivers on the CD that I'm fairly certain are XP x86 (and I'm on 7 x64) only. I'll do some research to see if I can find them, and if I can I'll report on whether FF is working for me or not.

oh my jebus

as someone who uses a ps4 controller emulating a 360 controller via xinput i'm already pretty used to being an edge case for things not working but hooooooly crap this works splendidly and i have all my sticks and such good to go. had to reconfig basically every button but its TASTY

my heroes!

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
So, a while back when I was messing with the Haptic stuff, I tweaked some of the error reporting.  As there are still issues with the haptic code, I thought maybe putting my tweaks up for review would be helpful and spur some further enhancements to that aspect of the code by some other more intrepid coder(s) than myself.

Code: [Select]
Index: code/io/joy_ff-sdl.cpp
===================================================================
--- code/io/joy_ff-sdl.cpp (revision 10795)
+++ code/io/joy_ff-sdl.cpp (working copy)
@@ -24,6 +24,7 @@
 #endif

extern SDL_Joystick *sdljoy;
+extern int Cur_joystick;

static int Joy_ff_enabled = 0;
 static SDL_Haptic *haptic = NULL;
@@ -67,20 +68,20 @@
  mprintf(("  Initializing Haptic...\n"));

if (SDL_InitSubSystem(SDL_INIT_HAPTIC) < 0) {
- mprintf(("    ERROR: Could not initialize Haptic subsystem\n"));
+ mprintf(("    ERROR: Could not initialize Haptic subsystem: %s\n", SDL_GetError()));
  return -1;
  }

if ( !SDL_JoystickIsHaptic(sdljoy) ) {
- mprintf(("    ERROR: Joystick does not have haptic capabilities\n"));
+ mprintf(("    ERROR: Joystick does not have haptic capabilities: %s\n", SDL_GetError()));
  SDL_QuitSubSystem(SDL_INIT_HAPTIC);
  return -1;
  }

- haptic = SDL_HapticOpenFromJoystick(sdljoy);
+ haptic = SDL_HapticOpen(Cur_joystick);

if (haptic == NULL) {
- mprintf(("    ERROR: Unable to open haptic joystick\n"));
+ mprintf(("    ERROR: Unable to open haptic joystick %d: %s\n", Cur_joystick, SDL_GetError()));
  SDL_QuitSubSystem(SDL_INIT_HAPTIC);
  return -1;
  }
Index: projects/MSVC_2008/code.vcproj
===================================================================
--- projects/MSVC_2008/code.vcproj (revision 10795)
+++ projects/MSVC_2008/code.vcproj (working copy)
@@ -1886,10 +1886,6 @@
  >
  </File>
  <File
- RelativePath="..\..\code\osapi\osapi_unix.cpp"
- >
- </File>
- <File
  RelativePath="..\..\code\osapi\osregistry.cpp"
  >
  </File>

I don't believe the osapi_unix.cpp file was actually needed to be in the VC project file anymore, I don't remember why I removed it but I'm fairly certain it was running fine with that change so I left it in the patch (Tortoise-generated, sorry if it doesn't apply cleanly for you but it's a very short patch) as food for thought.  By bringing in the Cur_joystick external identifier, I'm not sure if sdljoy is still used in the file or not, so also leaving that alone for discussion.  Like I said, I wrote this stuff months ago and can't remember the exact reasons behind some things already, but I do remember the build was successfully giving me a little more useful information in the fs2_open.log.  So if anyone would like to run with this patch and add any further enhancement to the joystick error reporting, that would be frickin' sweet.

Offline Nagrach

• Just another Freespacer
I'm getting also Soundtrack stuttering, but I'm using 3.7.2 RC3, not the Antipodes. (To late here to bring it into Mantis, I will create an Account in the next few days when I find the time...)
Crabby the crappy crab crap.

-273 °C. Finally a place where I don't need to sweat.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah, any RC3 bugs should definitely be in Mantis or the RC3 thread, or both.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Should Mantis 2651 be merged into Antipodes maybe?  I doubt we'd want to put something like that into trunk now but Antipodes seems like a good home for it and would let us close the ticket still.