Author Topic: Deferred Lighting and soft shadows  (Read 68633 times)

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Re: Deferred Lighting and soft shadows
God almighty this build ruins my framerate. Really nice work though.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
I keep getting total white-outs on my screen when in combat. It seems to happen when big explosions occur, but I'm not sure. I'm getting CTD's, too, and they mostly happen also when big explosions happen.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 08:02:15 pm by Nemesis6 »

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I tried with this build - it looks awesome with all of the deferred lighting and soft shadowing, which is better than the Blue Planet dedicated build. However, there are a few issues to resolve, the ships with "show ship" and the cockpit doesn't seem to display shadows. Anyone has the same issue? I think some guys who tried this build on Diaspora got.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
No shadows for cockpits and show ship just yet. Maybe later.

Offline Swifty

I fixed a bunch of problems. Rendering issues should (the keyword is should) go away. And that includes issues with transparencies and warp effects. I've also made the geometry shader particle code more fault tolerant so if you don't have support for geometry shaders, the engine should go back to the old way of rendering them gracefully. Again the keyword is should.

Oh yes, I've changed the way we render shadows. I got rid of the gaussian blur pass. We're now doing a 16-sample poisson disc sample filter. I may tie the number of samples to a slider in the future. Or base it off of cascade distance. Whatever, try it out and please give me feedback.

Offline m!m

Just tried it and performance is much better. Even with shadows enabled I still don't go below 20 FPS in the BP2 Icarus (I think that's how the mission is called) cutscene.

The shadows look nice although I had some issues with it (yes, it's an AMD graphics card).
I can't really describe it so here is a screenshot:

You can see the right side of the Ravana is lit and the other side is not (the sun is off-screen to the right).

Overall the new effects look really nice, the lighting works perfectly and looks absolutely fantastic.

Offline Luis Dias

I'm not sure the Ravana should be lit at all at that angle. What I think makes it lit is the fact that those normal maps force some parts of those faces into a direction that should be impossible... yeah but then they should be shadowed right? It's hard to understand what is going on there with only one frame...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Performance is good, and the rendered picture seems to be mostly fine, with one exception: Team Colors are not rendered.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Speaking of that: I found the cause. In modelinterp.cpp, interp_clear_instance(), you are resetting the Interp_team_color_set global to false, this overrides it being set to true earlier in the code. Commenting that line out restores visually(!) correct behaviour.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Finally had a chance to test this out. The good news is: Same FPS as what I get on Trunk.

So, in the F3 lab, is the mouse attached to some form of a spotlight that moves left/right as the mouse goes up/down?

I see there are some commandline settings, but as I haven't been arsed to run wxLauncher in ages, what are they and their values?

Possibly asset related as I can't seem to find any other model in the 2014 MediaVP's that does this, but check out the domes of the Charybdis in the F3 lab for some unusual behaviour.

It's already been pointed out (I think) as 'known' but the env mapping is really kind of strong under the same light settings compared to trunk.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Swifty

Thanks for the feedback, Zacam. The spotlight would probably be Valathil's light debug thingy. He used it to test deferred lighting settings.

I'll check into the other things you reported as well.

In the meantime, I have another update and synced it to 10794. Team colors should be working now.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/haubctqd0y6qius/shadows_10794.zip

Offline Echelon9

Thanks Swifty, I'm interested in following this feature branch.

Offline Skarab

Well this is a new one for me... Chrome says "shadows_10794.zip is malicious, and Chrome has blocked it."  This message is generated by the Chrome browser, not my AV. I have the option to dismiss the warning and download it anyway, but I'll err on the side of caution till you check it out.  Might be a false positive.

Edit:  If it helps, I'm running version 35.0.1916.153 m of Chrome.

Far away surfaces lit by stars are covered with black stuff.
Small clips showing what it looks like: http://www.gfycat.com/GranularForcefulHammerheadshark
It seems to mostly go away when you fly further away (not so visible when not animated but only middle part of the ship is covered in it)

Using shadows_10794.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Microsoft Security Essentials found no problems with the archive I downloaded or the files within, I downloaded with Firefox.  Just FYI.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
COMODO AV also seems to think it's safe. It's just a false positive.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
Far away surfaces lit by stars are covered with black stuff.
Small clips showing what it looks like: http://www.gfycat.com/GranularForcefulHammerheadshark
It seems to mostly go away when you fly further away (not so visible when not animated but only middle part of the ship is covered in it)

Using shadows_10794.
i have the same promlem
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Swifty

what video card do you two have?

GTX 660.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
That looks like some kind of UB to me