Author Topic: Deferred Lighting and soft shadows  (Read 68634 times)

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Re: Deferred Lighting and soft shadows
ogl_spec should be working again. Fixed the weird artifacts on nvidia cards. Fixed some collision detection issues that were a result of some experiments.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/hs1xuvhtoms1aat/shadows_10794_r2.zip

Offline den5

Sorry if this asked before but can we get shadows like in the F3 lab? Maybe with shadow_quality 3 custom flag.

Offline Swifty

It's not that simple. The shadows look better in the lab because we're limited to a static scene with static distances with one model. A dynamic scene requires multiple cascades to account for various distances.

There's a problem with engine and missile trails, even when you turn deferred lighting and shadows off. It seems to be an issue with the builds themselves. The framerate is surprisingly stable, even with multiple spammable light sources(like 2 wings of Persei with twin Balors all firing at the same cruiser).
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Define "a problem", please.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Missile trails only work half the time, and they flicker, disappearing and reappearing as they please. Engine trails don't show up at all.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Swifty

Looks like I really will have to scrap geometry shader trails and particles. Well, it was good while it lasted, guys.

EDIT: FrikgFeek, what's your video card?

It's an AMD R7970, the processor is an intel i7-4790. I've checked for overheating as these builds are pretty GPU and CPU intense, but the CPU is around 45C and the GPU is around 55, so that's not it either.

I have normal engine trails and missile trails (hornets) with gtx 660. And the black stuff is gone now.

Think this might be related to the bug that made all ships and weapons pitch black in ship select? That was fixed in 10800, but this build is based on 10794. Although ship select works just fine on this build, somehow.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The bug that made ships and weapons pitch black in ship select was due to a pow() call with a negative first argument; are there any of those in the new shaders?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's an AMD R7970, the processor is an intel i7-4790. I've checked for overheating as these builds are pretty GPU and CPU intense, but the CPU is around 45C and the GPU is around 55, so that's not it either.

I'm on a Radeon 7850, and I have normal trails, what driver version are you using (I'm on Catalyst 14.4, myself)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
i have a gtx 750 ti, the newest version fixed the problems with the buggy black shades, but the trails are still buggy for me too
but at least they are flickering now, before the trails would not show at all
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Swifty

The bug that made ships and weapons pitch black in ship select was due to a pow() call with a negative first argument; are there any of those in the new shaders?

No. I ended up fixing that bug independently in my own builds before I was aware that a fix had been made in trunk.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 07:07:56 pm by Swifty »

I'm on 14.6, and I got afterburner trails to show up sometimes. Always-on trails(like the ones in WoD) still don't work.

Offline Swifty

This may be a OpenGL state issue. I'm able to reproduce the bug on my Nvidia machine. Let me see if I can fix it.

Offline Swifty

Nevermind, the problem disappeared :\

Are trails not working for anybody else? Can I also get a roll call of additional people that have working trails?

Well, If I use the -no glsl flag they work, but they're incredibly thin, update once a second, and generally look like crap, but they do work.
I don't know if that helps.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Are trails not working for anybody else? Can I also get a roll call of additional people that have working trails?
Okay, I finally got around to trying this. Fired up "Argonautica" and missile trails, ship trails, and afterburner trails all worked fine. Radeon R9 290 with Catalyst 14.6 beta drivers here.

Noticed that at least one of the Mantis 3012 bugs was still around, but that's not that surprising given that those fixes were committed in r10821.

No. I ended up fixing that bug independently in my own builds before I was aware that a fix had been made in trunk.
I'm going to have to disagree with your definition of "fixing" here... ;)

Unless said fix wasn't in the build you linked above.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Well, when they've been black for like a year(13.1 drivers introduced this problem, and IIRC it was fixed in the june 16th nightly) just showing up is good enough. Retail missiles and engine trails seem to fare much better with these builds, try it out in a mod(especially one with perma-trails) if you want to break it.