Author Topic: Joystick response curves  (Read 35226 times)

Offline m!m

Re: Joystick response curves
freespace still doesn't have a customizable interface? headdesk. maybe i shouldn't have stopped working on nukeui (an attempt at writing a gui class that runs in lua and makes use of freespace's lua graphics library).
There is experimental support for embedding the chromium rendering engine which means that creating an UI with HTML will be possible once that gets integrated into the source code.

Problem: Where is the interface for editing said curves?

What? I was waiting for you to make it. What have you been doing, zee?!

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Problem: Where is the interface for editing said curves?

What? I was waiting for you to make it. What have you been doing, zee?!
:warp:
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Anyway, I'm going to be taking a few days off from my "real work" this week, so I might take a stab at improving the joysticks and the curves and the joystick curves.

Offline Erroll

Thanks! This seemed to help me. I still find the joystick to be frustrating but less so with this build. I tried 3 and that seemed good.. I will experiment with others.

Its a pity really. To me using a joystick "makes" the game with the space sims but it just doesn't work very well with this one.

Using a T-Flight HOTAS X.

Editable curves aren't a thing yet. I didn't get any time to work on it after all. Nice to see it's getting use, though.

Slightly related note - what is the status of support for multiple joysticks?  What is the specific blocker for that?  I have a nice HOTAS setup but it's separate from my joystick, so in order to use them I have to use a 3rd party program to merge them into a single stick.  Which besides being an overall inconvenience and pain in the butt, also means I can only have one HAT switch.  And if I ever get rudder pedals, that's a 3rd device I'll have to merge in.  It'd be really nice to be able to just identify and accept input from all attached devices.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Slightly related note - what is the status of support for multiple joysticks?  What is the specific blocker for that?  I have a nice HOTAS setup but it's separate from my joystick, so in order to use them I have to use a 3rd party program to merge them into a single stick.  Which besides being an overall inconvenience and pain in the butt, also means I can only have one HAT switch.  And if I ever get rudder pedals, that's a 3rd device I'll have to merge in.  It'd be really nice to be able to just identify and accept input from all attached devices.

Backlogged until after the SDL code goes in. There's an issue with the mapping system that FSO currently has that doesn't particularly play well with the multiple controller scheme, so it may be some time before you get to see support for them.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Backlogged until after the SDL code goes in. There's an issue with the mapping system that FSO currently has that doesn't particularly play well with the multiple controller scheme, so it may be some time before you get to see support for them.

Thanks.  Not exactly the answer I was hoping for, but at least I know what to expect.

Offline harj0

Sorry for "necroing" this thread, not sure if there is somewhere better to post, if so please let me know.

When I try to launch this build (or the debug version) I get an error as soon as I select it from wxLauncher. Have only tried it with windows (Win7 64), probably about to try it from Arch, so I'm not sure if this is a SDL error or not. Anyhow, heres the error that pops up in a window when I try to select this build from wxLauncher:

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b).
     Click OK to close the application.

Thanks alot, you guys are awesome and have inspired me to start getting back into game dev.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Perhaps you are trying to use this build with MVPs 2014?  You need 3.7.2 for MVPs 2014, or you can use MVPs 3.6.12 with an older build.

(Not sure if that's your problem or not.)

Also,

Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

Try what jr2 said and let us know. I'll see if I can recompile some new builds with the latest master of fso when I get the time.

Offline harj0

Yeah, it doesnt seem to make any difference what mod I try to activate, even if its no mod at all. Also, nothing new is generated in the log since the error occurs before the EXE is even launched..... which gives me an idea... the error must be from wxLauncher (?) I'll try another wxLauncher build and report back, thanks alot for your quick replys, by the way.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Log should still be generated even if it's an immediate CTD.  Should be in <FS2dir>\data ( or, if it's installed to a Program Files directory, %localappdata%\virtualstore\Program Files (x86) (or Program Files)\<FS2dir>\data )

EDIT: Wait, you mean you don't even see the wxLauncher settings before trying to launch FSO?  If so, yeah, you need to get a debug log for wxLauncher, not sure where that, but download a debug version here.  Alternatively, maybe the latest wxLauncher when (re)-installed will fix the crash?  Dunno.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
:bump: Could we get this in the form of a pull request? Even though we're currently not looking to add new features, it would be nice to have this on the main repo.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Well there is a solution to the joystick curve issue as well as being able to combine controllers with a new app being worked on by WhiteMagic on the Star Citizen forum. It really is shaping up to be a nice utility.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/237458/joystick-gremlin-joystick-configuration-tool/p1

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Using an external app is not a "solution" to "the joystick curve issue"; at best, it's a workaround.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Using an external app is not a "solution" to "the joystick curve issue"; at best, it's a workaround.

He's talking from an end-user perspective.

:bump: Could we get this in the form of a pull request? Even though we're currently not looking to add new features, it would be nice to have this on the main repo.

I neglected to do a PR then (oh god, it's been almost 3 years) which means the branch needs a rebase. I kinda forgot about it to be honest and now I feel bad. I'll find some time this week or some weekend to fix it up and do a proper PR.

The question is whether the current state is adequate or if it would be preferable that some of the ideas mentioned in the thread (custom curve, launcher dropdown option) were implemented before it was merged.
I suppose I could PR the current state and see about extending in any way later.

Well until Freespace 2 is updated to handle more joystick devices then some people are still going to be using workarounds. I was using PPJoy and Xpadder for years until this new app came out that takes the place of PPJoy and Xpadder and tosses in Joycurves as well. One of the nice things is that it has a auto profile loader so any game can have its own curves of any axis remapped from your joysticks and any button remapped to vjoy or the keyboard.

So one thing it can do is to combine your joystick, throttle and rudder pedals into one virtual joystick that can have the curves adjusted and 32 buttons remapped.