Author Topic: wxLauncher Test Builds [Updated: 2016-09-04]  (Read 67055 times)

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
wxLauncher Test Builds [Updated: 2016-09-04]
Announcing wxLauncher Test Builds

For an explanation of what wxLauncher is, see the official release post.

We ask that any issues that you find with this build are posted to this thread (not the main release thread) or to the GitHub issue tracker.  We are also looking for comments that it works on the various platforms that are supported.

Remember the builds posted in this thread are only minimally tested. You should back up your wxLauncher profile directory (the same place that your log file is written) if you value your settings.

Important Known Issues
  • Launcher does not read your current command line, so you will have to re-setup your command line before you launch FSO with wxLauncher.
  • wxL currently does not properly handle cases where the default font/font size is unusually large. Some text may be cut off in such cases.
  • There is an issue with the Wings of Dawn mod image's alpha channel that causes it not to appear.
  • [Windows] wxLauncher does not display AA or AF controls because FSO on windows does not support the feature
  • [OS X] Right after you change profiles or select an FSO executable to use, the flag checkboxes on the Advanced Settings tab will not appear until you interact with the tab somehow, such as by clicking or scrolling on the list.
  • [OS X] The Activate and Info buttons don't always appear when you click on a mod. However, they are present and will work if you click on the space where they should be.
  • [OS X] On Lion, wxL's list of resolutions may include reasonable-sounding resolutions that do not appear in System Preferences >> Displays (such as 640x480), as well as unusual/odd resolutions, such as 840x524.
  • [OS X] With a debug build, you get a wxWidgets Debug Alert that says among other things can't set default encoding to wxFONTENCODING_DEFAULT

Downloads
Windows users can download the installer from the releases page of the wxLauncher website.  Windows users can also download the source code from the releases page.

Debian Linux users can find us as freespace2-launcher-wxlauncher on Wheezy and Jesse.  Please be aware of the version that is packaged is may be different than the currently released version.

Arch Linux users can find us as wxLauncher in the AUR.  Please be aware of the version that is packaged is may be different than the currently released version.

Linux users can download a the source from the downloads page. At this time, most Linux users must build wxLauncher from source.  The ReadMe has the build instructions.  The ReadMe is also included in the source archive and will be for the version that you download.

OS X users can download a .dmg disk image from the releases page of the wxLauncher website.  Binary OS X builds are still being tweaked for the new wxWidgets changes. OS X users may also wish to build wxLauncher from source; the ReadMe has the build instructions.  A source tarball is available from the releases page.

If you have Diaspora R1 Patch 4 and below (1.0.4 and below). Why haven't you updated it yet?  See the release thread for the patches, download this .zip file of updated launcher resources and unzip it into your Diaspora folder. But really you should just update Diaspora, see the release thread

Build instructions
See the read me for build instructions and requirements.

Change log
0.12.0-rc.2 fixes:
  • The bottom buttons should not disappear for no reason (though they will still disappear if your screen has too few pixels vertically)
  • Better utilize SDL when handling joysticks
  • Handle Haptic joysticks
  • Handles new FSO build varitions (AVX, 64bit, FastDbg)
  • Support both python 2.7 and >3.3 in the scripts
  • Refactor a large part of the scripts to make them easier to follow
  • Linux install desktop icon
  • Windows Updated to wxWidgets 3.1.0
  • Windows Release version built using VS2015
  • Various other tweaks
0.11.0 fixes:
  • Many thanks to m!m for the many contributions to this release including:
    • Windows - Joystick indexs
    • Windows - Support for Antipodes configuration file.
  • Also
    • Linux - Fix icon so that is displays correctly (Niffiwan)
  • Detailed list is available here.
0.10.0 fixes:
  • Many thanks to m!m for the many contributions to this release including:
    • Windows - no more registry helper. Less things to go wrong!
    • Windows - Support for SDL on Windows antipodes builds.
    • All - Auto saving that actually works! Again!
  • Detailed list is available here.

Troubleshooting

For Windows and OS X users, if you run into problems getting wxLauncher to run, download and install the launcher built in debug mode ("Downloads", above). Post or PM the log (which is located in %AppData%\wxLauncher (Windows), ~/.wxlauncher (Linux), or ~/Library/Application Support/wxlauncher (OS X; note the space in Application Support)).

For Linux users, to build a debug version of wxLauncher, follow the build instructions as above, but when running CMake, ensure that CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE is set to Debug (cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 04:00:50 pm by chief1983 »
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: wxLauncher Test Builds
Can it retrieve highlights from the new frontpage yet?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
No, the existing feed doesn't work any more and I have not integrated anything to use the rss version.   That will be next along with getting the retrieval out of the main thread.

Diaspora's feed should still work though.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline kkmic

The news feed should work now. Just open wxL.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those... moments will be lost in time... like... tears... in rain. (pause) Time... to die.

wxLauncher 0.9.4 Beta | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
News is working for me at least, but it's missing some items.

Here's what it shows me:

(Re)Release: Ridiculous
Volition Interview
FS2S is back
High Def Asteroids

For reference current top four are
ST:R
FS:Port
Ridiculous
kickstarter
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline kkmic

What it shows you are the first four highlights from the homepage (http://www.hard-light.net), not from the forums (http://www.hard-light.net/forums).

They are technically two different pages and as you can see they are showing different content - I believe this is a change that was introduced with the latest version of the HLP homepage, as in the previous version, the homepage highlights were taken from the forum, and they were always the same.

"Historically", wxL retrieved the highlights by accessing the homepage, and when the highlights retrieval got fixed, it kept retrieving them from the homepage.

So, the question is: which of the highlights "sets" is more important/up to date? Obviously, wxL can only show one of them.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those... moments will be lost in time... like... tears... in rain. (pause) Time... to die.

"Speech" not recognized.
 i using windows 7.

Offline kkmic

"Speech" not recognized.
 i using windows 7.

Log and/or screenshot please.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
"Speech" not recognized.
 i using windows 7.
Are you using a Nightly build? It's possible that they're compiled without the flag that enables speech support...

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

"Speech" not recognized.
 i using windows 7.

Log and/or screenshot please.
screenshot is here.

log is below
-----
15042221938:INFO :wxLauncher Version 0.9.5
15042221938:INFO :Build "release-0.9.5-0-g7ee46df115" committed on (Tue Jan 27 21:29:37 2015 -0700)
15042221938:INFO :02/12/15 07:19:38
15042221938:INFO :Initializing profiles...
15042221938:INFO : My profiles file is: C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\wxlauncher\global.ini
15042221938:INFO : Found 1 profile(s).
15042221938:INFO :Initializing SkinSystem...
15042221938:INFO :Initializing HelpManager...
15042221938:INFO :Initializing FlagListManager...
15042221938:INFO :Initializing ProfileProxy...
15042221938:INFO :wxLauncher starting up.
15042221938:STSBR:Profile 'Default' saved
15042221938:STSBR:Now autosaving profiles.
15042221939:INFO :Windows reports 1 joysticks, 1 seem to be plugged in.
15042221939:STSBR:MainWindow is complete
15042221939:STSBR:Ready.
15042221939:INFO :The current game root folder is F:\Games\Volition\FreeSpace2
15042221939:INFO : Found 2 FS2 Open executables in 'F:\Games\Volition\FreeSpace2'
15042221940:INFO :Detected OpenAL version: 1.1
15042221952:INFO :saving global profile before exiting.
15042221952:INFO :Current profile Default has no unsaved changes. Exiting.
15042221952:INFO :wxLogger shutdown complete.

Log closed.
------

3.7.0 Final is same result.
and release-0.9.4 launcher can recognized "speech" normaly.

[attachment deleted by nobody]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 04:57:52 pm by Arkblade »

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Re: wxLauncher Test Builds [Updated: 2015-02-11]
Thanks Arkblade.

Please try downloading the installer again. It appears that speech was not enabled in the published builds.

OP has been updated.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 09:01:48 pm by Iss Mneur »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
News is working for me at least, but it's missing some items.

Here's what it shows me:

(Re)Release: Ridiculous
Volition Interview
FS2S is back
High Def Asteroids

For reference current top four are
ST:R
FS:Port
Ridiculous
kickstarter

What it shows you are the first four highlights from the homepage (http://www.hard-light.net), not from the forums (http://www.hard-light.net/forums).

They are technically two different pages and as you can see they are showing different content - I believe this is a change that was introduced with the latest version of the HLP homepage, as in the previous version, the homepage highlights were taken from the forum, and they were always the same.

"Historically", wxL retrieved the highlights by accessing the homepage, and when the highlights retrieval got fixed, it kept retrieving them from the homepage.

So, the question is: which of the highlights "sets" is more important/up to date? Obviously, wxL can only show one of them.

:nervous: Uh, yeah, I should get around to updating the main page highlights....  :nervous:  (aka duplicating the forum highlights)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Thanks Arkblade.

Please try downloading the installer again. It appears that speech was not enabled in the published builds.

OP has been updated.

thank you, it worked.
however it cause display disturbed.
see screenshots.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Thanks Arkblade.

OP has been updated.

thank you, it worked.
see screenshots.
Hmm.  Please attach a screenshot with the voices dropdown expanded.  That drop down is way to long.

Thanks Arkblade.

OP has been updated.

thank you, it worked.
see screenshots.
Hmm.  Please attach a screenshot with the voices dropdown expanded.  That drop down is way to long.

yes, it have long strings.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I don't think it's a question of 'Up to Date'.  The Home page list is the Announcements forum, the Highlights on the Forum home page is the Highlights subforum.  They're both just different forum IDs for their source.  Neither is more 'up to date' than the other, they just get different things posted.  You could merge the two...
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I don't think it's a question of 'Up to Date'.  The Home page list is the Announcements forum, the Highlights on the Forum home page is the Highlights subforum.  They're both just different forum IDs for their source.  Neither is more 'up to date' than the other, they just get different things posted.  You could merge the two...
The old list of articles on the frontpage came from the Announcements subforum, just like the old list of highlights on the frontpage came from the Highlights subforum, but now both are separate. At the moment, the forum highlights tend to be more up-to-date than the frontpage highlights, until somebody manually updates them like so:
:nervous: Uh, yeah, I should get around to updating the main page highlights....  :nervous:  (aka duplicating the forum highlights)

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
I suppose a better question would be, which source is more correct. According to Sandwich, at some point the existing highlights at the top of the forum pages will also come from the same source as the front page.  But that was three months ago...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Oh, I didn't even notice there were highlights on the front page.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I suppose a better question would be, which source is more correct. According to Sandwich, at some point the existing highlights at the top of the forum pages will also come from the same source as the front page.  But that was three months ago...

That's the position I've been working from, i.e. the new mainpage highlights will become the source of truth. The thing is, I'm not sure if anyone except Sandwich, Axem & myself know much about the new mainpage, whereas all the mods/admins know how to post in the highlights forum.  Probably just needs a bit of knowledge sharing, and maybe a few extra accounts setup. (And of course having the forum code changed to pull from the mainpage highlights).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...