Author Topic: Large-Address-Aware builds  (Read 15058 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Large-Address-Aware builds
Quite so.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Have all the large-address-aware features committed to master branch already? I haven't yet to hear from them regarding this.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
afaik, LAA is largely irrelevant since 64-bit is being provided in the nightlies these days.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline m!m

afaik, LAA is largely irrelevant since 64-bit is being provided in the nightlies these days.
Exactly, 64-bit builds are to proper solution for dealing with out-of-memory errors.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
That, and switch to water after you've had two beers.  ;)
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
As far as I am aware, 32-bit builds made of current master remain non-LAA, but it's irrelevant because anyone who could benefit from LAA can just use 64-bit instead.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Yeah, there's precious little reason to not use 64-bit OSes (and therefore benefit from 64-bit builds) other than: a) you're somehow still on Windows XP and don't have good XP 64-bit drivers or b) you're somehow stuck on an ancient 32-bit processor  or c) you're somehow stuck with less than ~3GB of RAM.

So, the reasons for not using 64-bit builds can be summed up with: your system is outdated.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That's not necessarily true.  Many windows 7 machines that could run fso were sold with 32 bit windows, usually at or less than 4gb ram, I guess do get rid of old licenses or something.  They have the hardware but not the OS to run it.  I don't know if that's still going on with windows 10 but those users may have still upgraded and therefore be running otherwise stable up to date platforms.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
That's not necessarily true.  Many windows 7 machines that could run fso were sold with 32 bit windows, usually at or less than 4gb ram, I guess do get rid of old licenses or something.  They have the hardware but not the OS to run it.  I don't know if that's still going on with windows 10 but those users may have still upgraded and therefore be running otherwise stable up to date platforms.

Quote from: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/is-a-windows-7-license-key-valid-for-both-32-bit/70d546cd-b6e3-44d8-a6c8-fd7feb7d1915
I received a NFR copy of Windows 7 Ultimate at the Microsoft launch today.  It has a valid (I hope!) license key but the DVD is for 32-bit.  Is the same license key valid for 64-bit installations as well?  In other words, if I get a copy of the 64-bit DVD, can I use the license key I just received?

This will be a fresh install onto a system that currently has 32-bit Vista.

Thanks,
   .../Ed

Yes, it is valid for either 32 or 64 bit, its up to you which architecture you want to use. Please note 1 key, 1 license. You can't install 32 bit one computer and install 64 bit on another computer using the same key.

Now that I know Win 7 64 bit works great with my hardware.  Can I legally upgrade my Windows Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 32 bit?  And keep both versions of Windows 7 on the same machine.
If you have one Windows 7 license you can only have one install of Windows 7.
To install Windows 7 32bit you will first need to format/delete the 64 bit install.

You will need to buy a second license/key to install Windows 7 twice at the same time. There is no discount on a second license if you already have a license.

http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Windows-7/category/102

Yes, it is valid for either 32 or 64 bit, its up to you which architecture you want to use. Please note 1 key, 1 license. You can't install 32 bit one computer and install 64 bit on another computer using the same key.

TL;DR: You are licensed for both architectures, but not both simultaneously.  User would need to dump their 32-bit install and use the same key to install 64-bit.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
We can't just expect our user base to reformat to play FS2.  It shouldn't be necessary as 32bit windows machines are still on the market.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline m!m

We are not requiring anyone to reinstall another version of Windows since the 32-bit builds work fine in most cases. However, if people want to use more advanced features that require more memory then 64-bit builds are the only viable solution. Furthermore, enabling LAA could introduce bugs that are not present in the current 32-bit builds and given that most people can use the 64-bit builds I see no good reason to enable LAA.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Really, since it can be set after the fact, we might just want some instructions on how to do that and be done with it.

Offline m!m

Well, if it's that easy then we could just enable it in the nightlies and let people test it. However, I still think that we don't need to do that since the issues that should be reduced by this are already fixed by 64-bit builds.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I would agree with m!m here.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
You could just point them to the utility over here if they wanted to enable LAA.  As has been said before, though, that's probably opening a can of worms, and that fact should be mentioned in big, red, flaming letters, along with the disclaimer that we don't support LAA-enabled x86 builds.  Those stuck on x86 and not willing to reformat might want to try it for the ability to use the advanced features without reformatting.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
We do not support LAA. We will also not point people towards utilities to set that flag.

End of discussion.