Author Topic: FS2Open Oculus VR Test  (Read 31772 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This is so not the right topic for this, Bryan.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I'm asking for the progress, but not the outside news. It has been quiet for some time now, and I'm (and others) are expecting a new build that fixes the bugs that have been found by previous users, or keep up with the main branch of FSOpen.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I'm asking for the progress, but not the outside news. It has been quiet for some time now, and I'm (and others) are expecting a new build that fixes the bugs that have been found by previous users, or keep up with the main branch of FSOpen.

Umm.  I think he was referring to your mentioning of the politics of the founder.  Start a new thread for that, don't hijack this one.

Hello, I have a CV1 rift, and was thinking about working on add support to FS2 Open for it myself when I stumbled upon this forum post. How do I get access to RandomTigers build so I can play with it? I couldn't find an 'Oculus' branch or anything in the GIT repository (https://github.com/scp-fs2open/fs2open.github.com) and I'm a bit lost.

Thanks!

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
I wanted it as well.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

So where is the support currently sitting in the engine? I have a Playstation VR headset I intend to use with both Freespace 2 and Vegastrike under Linux. To my understanding it is possible to currently use the PSVR headset as a mouse and in games which support binding the mouse to the camera it already works for head tracking. There is code available here: https://github.com/gusmanb/PSVRFramework for controlling/managing Playstation headsets. I'll just add that there's also a very basic C api for managing the headset including polling the X/Y/Z Yaw/Pitch/Roll of the Playstation VR Headset.... It can also switch from Cinema mode to VR mode. (Cinema mode is a flat 2D mode which would be perfect for the 2D menus/UI and the 3D VR Mode for spaceflight). https://github.com/adawarp/libpsvr
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:51:28 pm by Darkmage »
wrong answer you see hiding in that asteroid belt are 6 dralthi fighters, a Kilrathi gangbang. -Devereaux

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Darkmage, I think this may be taken as a possibility.

As for RandomTiger, how things going? He hasn't responded since his last post.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Re: FS2Open Oculus VR Test
Any update on VR in FSO? Does anyone have this branch downloaded that would be willing to share since the original link has 404'd. All I've wanted since getting my vive is to play Diaspora (and XWA or similar) in VR. It seems like there's a lot of interest to considering the 6k views of this thread. Can I hold out hope?

Thanks

p.s. sorry for necro

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: FS2Open Oculus VR Test
You can, but the basic factors that are holding us back in this regard haven't changed. There are still technical challenges to overcome before we can pull off a good VR experience.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline ksotar

For those who can't wait, there is quite good workaround that can provide you with Freespace VR experience right now:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=94152.0