Author Topic: fso install location ?  (Read 2420 times)

fso install location ?
Hello New to the forums and fso. Long time player of free space 1 & 2. Great to see an active modding community.
That said. I'm trying to install fso. Ive installed fs from GOG to c/games/freespace
Do i install fso the the same folder that fs is installed to or can i put it in another folder say c/games/fso?

Been trying to get this to work for a couple days now with no luck.

Thanks in adv.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: fso install location ?
You can install FSO to a different folder but then you have to copy the retail files (the *.vp files and cutscenes) to the new folder.

if i installed it into the freespace folder would i have to then copy anything over?

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
No

ok, so im gonna try a fresh install again. I will install fso to the freespace folder over the exisiting files.

once i do this. I use the wxlauncher and select the base games .exe as the root file and which fso .exe do i use?

the game should start after selecting that? 

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
I think the exe file is called fs2_open_3_8_0_SSE2.exe. After that make sure to select the MediaVPs as the active mod in wxLauncher to get the new assets for the retail campaign.
You can get the MediaVPs 2014 through the installer or here.

If you still have problems, feel free to post here.

ok , fresh install of fs from gog. Ive deleted prefrences from users for fso.

now trying to install fso into the c/games/freespace directory i get an error.

Says i have mdisk.vp and root.vp that shouldnt be there in the base game. It asks me if i want to continue with the install.

Is there something im missing at this point or or do i install anyway?

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Did you install FreeSpace 1 or 2?

fs2

oh no , im sorry i think i installed freespace 1 let me see if thats the issue.

ok , so yes i was installing freespace 1 not freespace 2. However i have run into another issue.
after the fresh install of FS2. and FSO. I am running wxlauncher. i selected the fs2 folder and am running the fs2 open 3.8.0 X64 sse2 executable.
then going to mods and selecting media vps 2014 and activating it.

once i hit play wxlauncher.exe stops working and must close.

any ideas?

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Can you try running wxLauncher as Admin?

ok, tried running as admin. wxlauncher still crashes upon hitting play. i can use the fs2_open_3_8_0 exe to start the game and it runs but none of the graphical mods seem to be working.

Which wxLauncher are you using? As far as I can tell the new 3.8.0 requires a test version, but the installer only uses an older version that crashes...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Here's the latest wxLauncher: https://github.com/scp-fs2open/wxLauncher/releases

Which I found from the wxLauncher thread (gotta skip to the end): https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=67950.540