Author Topic: FRED and FSO?  (Read 1967 times)

Hey guys, a quick and dumb question:

I'm looking to get back into FRED but I've finally caught up and now use FSO for everything Freespace related. Does FSO affect FRED in any way? If I wanna make standalone FS1 missions or campaigns for the FSPort where would I save these missions to access them? And finally, what ship models would FRED use, Vanilla or the media VPs?

Thanks.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Each new FSO build comes with both game executable, and FRED executable. So make sure you're using the right version of FRED. There are many new features with FSO versions over retail versions.

Also, FSO FRED would load the modpack assets you used last (last fso mod launched). So if its Blue Planet, it would load blue planet assets. If you would simply use MediaVPS mod, it would load MediaVPS ships, etc.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

I would add if you want to play your mission it should be saved to the mod/data/missions folder of the mod the mission was made for. You can then play it in the tech room.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hey guys, a quick and dumb question:

I'm looking to get back into FRED but I've finally caught up and now use FSO for everything Freespace related. Does FSO affect FRED in any way? If I wanna make standalone FS1 missions or campaigns for the FSPort where would I save these missions to access them? And finally, what ship models would FRED use, Vanilla or the media VPs?

Thanks.

As the others have said, FSO Fred uses the same configuration data that FSO uses, so it will always use the same mod setup that you last played on.

Regarding changes we've made to FRED: Most of them are relatively minor (the original FRED2 walkthrough that came with the retail game is still mostly valid, it's just that some dialogues have had options added). The most in-depth changes have happened to the number of SEXPs available; FSO expands that list by quite a bit.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The Diaspora documentation is much more up to date than the original FS2 one. Although if you're making FS2 missions you might find the FS2 walkthrough a better choice and just use the Diaspora docs for reference.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

As the others have said, FSO Fred uses the same configuration data that FSO uses, so it will always use the same mod setup that you last played on.

Regarding changes we've made to FRED: Most of them are relatively minor (the original FRED2 walkthrough that came with the retail game is still mostly valid, it's just that some dialogues have had options added). The most in-depth changes have happened to the number of SEXPs available; FSO expands that list by quite a bit.

Thanks everyone, when I was looking through my FSO files the other day I totally missed FRED2 Open which is why I was confused about which FRED to use and how it would work. I'm so excited to try it out and play with the new features.  ;) ;) ;)

I would add if you want to play your mission it should be saved to the mod/data/missions folder of the mod the mission was made for. You can then play it in the tech room.

This is where I'm having my new issue. I made my mission and I'm ready to test it out but I just realized the FSPort doesn't have a missions folder. There is a missions vp file in the FSPort folder but now data or mission folders.

Just create them inside the fsport mod folder there will be no problem the game will read your files first, then the vp