Author Topic: Battlestar Fighter Complements  (Read 38304 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Battlestar Fighter Complements
Bear in mind that the reason we didn't just use the numbers from BattlestarWiki is that they don't quote sources to show where they got those numbers from in the first place.

When the wiki can prove what they say I'm happy to use their numbers. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline eps200

I think it goes like this

Blue is hangar
green is launch tubes (in five groups of eight)
Dark blur is space that has never been asighned though i asume atleast some of it holds the raptors

I asume the captured raider was stored at one of the ends aswell as karas brand new viper and probly the black bird aswell
(yeah my literacy is **** please just ignore my posts if it bothers you)

:nod: Kudos on the schematic, I couldn't find anything like that. I'm sure that the dev has somthing like that somewhere for a point of reference. and if it's to scale they can pretty much figure out how many birds they can cram in to the space. 

Offline Anf23

• Proud to be a knuckle dragger
Just wandering the halls on the galactica on the tour on http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/tour/tour.html and noticed there is a white board in the Pilot ready room that shows all the pilots on galactica, it looks like their broken into 4 groups of 14 each with a squad leader, add in the cag and this give a total of 61 vipers, this number seems pretty damn small to me but it just what i can see from the prop.

Just wandering the halls on the galactica on the tour on http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/tour/tour.html and noticed there is a white board in the Pilot ready room that shows all the pilots on galactica, it looks like their broken into 4 groups of 14 each with a squad leader, add in the cag and this give a total of 61 vipers, this number seems pretty damn small to me but it just what i can see from the prop.

Something new on the boards.. Helo assigned to a Mk VII
Phasers?!?!?  We don't need no frakking phasers!

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
Haven't had time to read the entire thread, so not sure on whether this has been posted on here or not..

IMHO, these couple shots taken at the end of the Flight of The Phoenix' show should give us an idea on these numbers. I think is the better reference we got ATM.

Thanks and keep up the good work!
-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I counted at least 44 twice.  Granted my eyes aren't that great at the moment. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
The best way would be to count the Viper wings on the video screen. These couple pictures I posted are just innacurate chunks of the camera travelling

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Haven't had time to read the entire thread, so not sure on whether this has been posted on here or not..

*shots excised*

IMHO, these couple shots taken at the end of the Flight of The Phoenix' show should give us an idea on these numbers. I think is the better reference we got ATM.

No, I'm afraid not, Deckard. Ron Moore has said those shots are a VFX goof and contain more Vipers than Galactica actually had. Which is a good thing, because those shots also contain the Blackbird, which wasn't spaceworthy at the time and in any case doesn't have a gun.

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
I counted at least 44 twice.  Granted my eyes aren't that great at the moment. 

me thinks you were drinking  :D

maybe there was only 22!!

ah just messing, thats alot of vipers though
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D

*shots excised*

No, I'm afraid not, Deckard. Ron Moore has said those shots are a VFX goof and contain more Vipers than Galactica actually had. Which is a good thing, because those shots also contain the Blackbird, which wasn't spaceworthy at the time and in any case doesn't have a gun.

Thanks, General Batuta. I had no idea on that.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
No problem -- I certainly would've been counting off of them otherwise. It was a good idea.

Though I suppose it might have been possible at that time that they still had more ships than pilots.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Though I suppose it might have been possible at that time that they still had more ships than pilots.

I do seem to recall Starbuck remarking how they have plenty of vipers, but not enough pilots to fill them in the episode where she has to train a bunch of newb pilots.

Offline Snagger

I do seem to recall Starbuck remarking how they have plenty of vipers, but not enough pilots to fill them in the episode where she has to train a bunch of newb pilots.
That was in Season 1, after their sole remaining squadron had been destroyed and while they were trying to fill the seats in the museum piece MkIIs, before they got a load of new Vipers and pilots from the Pegasus, so is not going to be representative of a full load.

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
Another related patience's exercise I'd suggest would be:

To count every destroyed Viper/Raptor/Shuttle since the miniseries to the Pegasus' show. :P

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Just had another idea.  Is there is a good shot of the dradis when all the friendlies launched. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

I dont know if your just loking for the galactica or Mercury class Battlestars but your assumption of 80 per Fighter bay seams just about right acordign to this site http://www.battlestarmjolnir.com/schamatics.php

Heres what cought my attention because i was playing a mod  for HW2 and i wanted to know how much the damn pegasus couled cary and i tought about you guys cause ive ben to this section of the forum erlyer.Any how this is what they say, and i have no clue what theyr sources are but maybe it will help u guys make up your minds on how much your ship can carry viper wise.

"With the increased size of the Battlestar, the Mercury class has a larger fighter wing than the Columbia class. A total of two hundred Vipers can be embarked along with about eight Raptor craft. By the time of the renewed Cylon attacks, the Viper Mark VII was the primary fighter operated by the Colonial Fleet. Like older Battlestars, the Viper compliment was the ship's main weaponry although the Mercury class still carried a smaller fighter compliment than a Cylon Basestar. Although the Mercury class has the ability to land fighters more rapidly, the vessels have less launch tubes which only allow fifty fighters to be launched at one time compared to eighty for the Columbia Class. In support of the fighter squadrons, the Mercury class has the ability to fabricate all components for embarked Viper Mark VII fighters. This equipment is so extensive that the Battlestar can actually build new Viper fighters from raw components. "

Velocity = Acceleration x Time + Initial Velocity
Distance Traveled = Acceleration x _ x Time _ + Initial Velocity x Time
1 G = 32 feet (9.8 m) per second

Model: Colonial Battlestar "Mercury" Class
Class: Battleship / Fleet Carrier
Crew: 2,450 (90 Officers and 2,360 Enlisted)
Troops: 300 marines (15 Officers and 295 Enlisted) and 300 Viper / Raptor pilots
Vehicle Compliment:
200 Viper Starfighters (10 Squadrons of 20)
6 to 8 Raptor Craft

M.W.B. by Location:

Fixed Super Heavy Kinetic Energy Mounts (8, Bow)
Heavy Kinetic Energy Weapon Turrets (30)
Heavy Kinetic Energy Weapons (60, 2 each turret)
Point Defense Kinetic Energy Mounts (322)
Point Defense Kinetic Energy Weapons (644, 2 each mount):
Hanger Bays / Flight Pods (4):
Viper Launch Tubes (50, 25 per Flight Pod):
Main Hanger Decks (4):

CIC:
Engineering Section:
Ion Fusion Engines (8):
[Maneuvering Thrusters (80, 20 Clusters of 4): "

P.S Mercury = The class of the Pegasus
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 03:50:02 pm by Dermeister »

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
All of that is made up by someone, and I disagree completely with him. 6to8 raptors? There's at least 20 or so.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

yea liek i sayed im not sure were he took his sources and stuff but i tought id share any how because it might of helped the people to make theyr minds up how ever i to wish theyr was backed up and accurate data on all the current classes of Battlestars. :(Im modifying the numbers of fighters on each battlestars in HW2 to reflect a bit more what wouled really be in the fighter bays how ever every 1 seems to speculate :(.I want to make the battlestars as accurate as posible,wish the person who rote the series wouled of made up some data that every 1 can agree on.

Im opened for the experts outhere to give me theyr opinion ive red this thread and so far to me seams like for the Pegasus anyhow 80 per deck seams right..but then its got 2 decs + 2 smaller ounes under so i dont know if u can fit another 80 in each small ounes unless they use the 2 big top decks for  raptors and utilitys and the underside ounes for vipers i dont know.. but it bugs me and i want to know im curius its ben buging me or days.

Offline Jangiri

who needs to count how many vipers galactica had. count the seats in the briefing room. i'm assuming that is one squadron