Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 588934 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: Derek Smart might be taking legal action over Star Citizen
Even in a HUD situation, Having a backup display on the weapon is not a bad idea as they are not mutually exclusive and provides the shooter with a backup of that information in case the HUD display is unusable for some reason. though the fact that the display looks like it came off a cheap 90's calculator doesn't help

My main complaint is that you can clearly see the weapon is a G36 derivative design to the point they botched the utility rail to make if fit the altered barrel length.  even an XM-8 while ergonomically almost identical to the M4 looks very different.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Luis Dias

Even Airplane designers in 2015 know that having a full display of combat area is an incredible advantage, but somehow designers in 2900 forgot all this and thought that polluting your screen with stupid tablets all over the place reducing your actual combat awareness by 40/60% is the ****.

I couldn't give a rat's ass about stupid led counters in a stupid FPS that nobody will play. But that cockpit. That ****ing cockpit.

I won't shut up about it. Volition did a thousand times better job in 1998 with its cockpit than a multimegamillion company with the craziest shiny graphical engines of 2015.

I just won't shut up abo.... ok I will shut up about it.

Feel free to try and peddle whatever **** excuse you have for banal design work but I'm not buying.

If a gun a thousand years in the future doesn't look more futuristic than a P90 PDW there's something wrong.  I see no less than 26 rivets or bolts on that gun.  A Famas has about 5.

It's not about ergonomics its about construction techniques and materials. Why is there a display on the gun? Wouldn't a man in a space suit have a Heads Up Display? Information link from his gun to his suit?  How compact is it? Isn't storage on a spaceship at premium? Wouldn't they make it out of lightweight materials to decrease the fuel required to transport it around? To ease its use in zero G? Is there any kind of recoil compensation? Does it break down/fold up for easy storage? The gun doesn't even have a grip for the off-hand.

Use your brain a little. If you were trying to imagine a gun a thousands years in the future is that the best you could imagine?

You will not have a heads up display available all the time, so display on the gun makes complete sense. If you want to nitpick, then the issue is that it looks like an old LCD alphanumeric type, such technology would probably be long deprecated. We dont know what material is it made of or if it can fold for storage.

I'm not nitpicking I'm expressing an opinion.  The overall look of the gun is simply not futuristic and the LCD display is simply one aspect of the overall failure.

Offline Aesaar

Perfectly normal for lead developers to leave in the middle of a project.  Everything is fine.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 04:28:24 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Even Airplane designers in 2015 know that having a full display of combat area is an incredible advantage, but somehow designers in 2900 forgot all this and thought that polluting your screen with stupid tablets all over the place reducing your actual combat awareness by 40/60% is the ****.

I couldn't give a rat's ass about stupid led counters in a stupid FPS that nobody will play. But that cockpit. That ****ing cockpit.

I won't shut up about it. Volition did a thousand times better job in 1998 with its cockpit than a multimegamillion company with the craziest shiny graphical engines of 2015.

I just won't shut up abo.... ok I will shut up about it.
I hear ya, this was one of my first complaints when I had my first look at arena commander. The actual action happens at like half of your screen, the rest of this estate is taken up by all sorts of stuff.

I'm personally a big fan of not having a cockpit, like in FS2. But if you absolutely must have a cockpit, have something like in Starlancer http://ibin.co/2KPbMcmcsu8s at most.
You still get the idea of being inside a fighter, it shakes a bit when afterburning and it tilts a bit when turning. While having the vast majority of your screen estate dedicated to seeing what the **** is going on outside the cockpit. Don't dedicate so much time to making **** that obscures your vision in the name of 'immersion' **** damnit ****s.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Luis Dias

Yeah, that Starlancer example is not that bad. Somehow my mind went absolutely into that Steve Jobs presentation about the iPhone, when he was showing his "competition"...

... and was like "Yeah the problem is all this bottom 40 here"

Also, ROFL at that Dan Tracy guy leaving. "No tanks near Bagdad guys...."

Offline Aesaar

Also, ROFL at that Dan Tracy guy leaving. "No tanks near Bagdad guys...."

Spoiler:
I didn't make this.  Found it on SA.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
*retroactively hurls rotten fruit at Steve Jobs for encouraging lemmings to utterly forgo tactile feedback*

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
*retroactively hurls rotten fruit at Steve Jobs for encouraging lemmings to utterly forgo tactile feedback

Their choice, I still use a BlackBerry and I'm very happy with it.

When it comes to cockpits, I tend to also prefer not to have them. In Diaspora it is pretty much canon that you can see the ship, but normally I'd prefer to leave the cockpit as an optional extra.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
*retroactively hurls rotten fruit at Steve Jobs for encouraging lemmings to utterly forgo tactile feedback

Their choice, I still use a BlackBerry and I'm very happy with it.

When it comes to cockpits, I tend to also prefer not to have them. In Diaspora it is pretty much canon that you can see the ship, but normally I'd prefer to leave the cockpit as an optional extra.

at the same time you kept the cockpit to a minimum
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, because the Viper cockpit was patterned after the Show cockpits, which in turn took inspiration from the F-16 and F/A-18, which unlike the fighters in SC, are flown by actual pilots during actual combat.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

I for one am glad that Phantom Hoover is here to teach us all a lesson of humility and a need to tone down condescending righteous criticism.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I for one am glad that Phantom Hoover is here to teach us all a lesson of humility and a need to tone down condescending righteous criticism.

wow way to make it personal

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Simmer down please everyone. No need for personal insults and please keep it respectful.

Some folks like the way Star Citizen is shaping up.

Some people have criticisms with it.

Both points of view are OK and can co-exist. If you don't like it, don't buy in to it.

I have bought into it and really hope it's not a huge and elaborate scam that D.Smart claims it to be. I do find it odd that he's going after SC specifically with such gusto - especially after his lacklustre own work - but time will tell what they can do.

In the meantime - as above - please simmer down.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well they did make it personal. And we all know that Derek Smart has a hard enough time when people criticise his games, let alone making it personal. So I'm hardly surprised he's acting like they called him out.

Offline Luis Dias

Some dislike "personal", I dislike "handwaved generalizing righteous condescending remarks".

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Well they did make it personal. And we all know that Derek Smart has a hard enough time when people criticise his games, let alone making it personal. So I'm hardly surprised he's acting like they called him out.
I was referring to Luis Dias

Some dislike "personal", I dislike "handwaved generalizing righteous condescending remarks".

Then grow a thicker skin! It's not like you never use them.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I was referring to Luis Dias

I know, but I was replying to Fineus' comment about it being strange that Derek has the knives out for SC. I suppose I could have made it clearer it was that part I was replying to.