Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 588940 times)

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
Re: Derek Smart might be taking legal action over Star Citizen
Confirming "hoy chummer" password request also happens here. Firefox 42.0, Windows 10

Edit: About the thread itself. Man, that was 11 years ago. Hard to believe, even.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 10:25:02 pm by Kiloku »
Potato!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Probably an image link to a page that is now password protected. I don't get the request though. The page is probably blocked in China or something so it doesn't get past the DNS request.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Derek put another blog post up:
http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/11/interstellar-pirates/

It's waaay too long but one thing I found interesting from that article was this:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Squadron-42-Preorder

This package allows you to pre-order Squadron 42, bundled with Star Citizen, at its all-time lowest price. This time-limited offer will end in 2016 when Squadron 42 becomes an item of its own.

Wasn't Squadron 42 supposed to be a part of Star Citizen?
Now this sale item is explicitly saying that it will be sold separately?

When and if Squadron 42 does come out I'll bet we'll see two things:
A sale price for Chapter 1
A second price for the "entire" game (aka Season Pass)

And given how much some of the concept ships are selling for I wonder how much that entire game is going to go for. Most games have been ~20 dollars per episode with ~60 dollar full game (Tell Tale Games). Or maybe ~15 dollars for DLC map pack and maybe 4-5 map packs in a season pass. Will SQ42 be this price? Or will it be like 30 dollars for chapter 1 with the full game 100-120 USD (aka Limited Edition game price for stuff with statues and ****)

Also isn't the statement "all time lowest price" an outright lie? Wasn't the minimum price 30 dollars for the KS for the game? How is 45 USD < 30 USD?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

No, it's been pretty explicit from the start that Squadron 42 will be a single-player prequel campaign that will have some mechanical differences of unknown level from Star Citizen and hence be a different though very closely related program. They'll probably run the same flight engine, but it's been clear they won't necessarily share other bits.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

No, it's been pretty explicit from the start that Squadron 42 will be a single-player prequel campaign that will have some mechanical differences of unknown level from Star Citizen and hence be a different though very closely related program. They'll probably run the same flight engine, but it's been clear they won't necessarily share other bits.

Eh?
"Squadron 42 - A Wing Commander style single player mode, playable OFFLINE if you want"
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/description

and later:
Is Star Citizen an MMO?
No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

Either way, calling it a "mode" clearly indicates that it is the same game.  Same executable, different menu choice. Same way Halo as SP, MP and Horde or whatnot.

Now they've changed it. SQ42 is suddenly it's own game, and being sold on its own in the same way that Call of Duty might sell a SP campaign for 60 USD and a multiplayer game separately for 60 USD. Which would be ridiculous, just as the multi-player only COD for last gen consoles is itself kinda ridiculous.

Just basically cutting up the game to get more money, and likely cutting up the cut off piece to maximize the amount of money that can be taken in from that as well. Either to prompt last minute backers or to shaft wait-and-see players.

And if that's not enough, straight from the horse's mouth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IehITxsK4Fs&t=1h57m28s

Interestingly the presentation on SQ42 gives no concrete details about the game itself at all nor is there any in-mission footage. Just Mass Effect style walk and talk around the ship.
I've heard that SQ42's upcoming release is anywhere from 20 to 50 to 71 missions.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 07:41:01 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
...from 20 to 50 to 71 missions.
Yes, because massive numbers of missions are always easy to execute and unfailingly make campaigns better. /s

"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Yeah, he mentions that here @ 2m20s

https://youtu.be/OXpx2C6rFAc?t=2m20s

Says roughly 'Squadron 42 is going to be split into a trilogy, Episode 1 has the equivalent of 70 wing commander missions"

Though I honestly don't know what the hell he's saying in here.
He says there's 21 chapters, each a segment of missions, but he seems to consider each "mission" just having a check point. So it would have 21 missions with 3 segments? Who knows.

But they're also talking about ground missions ala Mass Effect which seems a bit odd because wasn't Star Marine on indefinate hiatus? And isn't the engine for that required for these ground missions?

The CitizenCon address also added something new though. It says there will be "sandboxy areas" with "optional side missions".

So, as I understand it at the moment. RSI is making four games. Star Citizen, and Squadron 42 Episodes 1 with two sequels planned,  each with 21 segmented missions, equivalent of "70 WC style missions" including space and ground combat plus sandboxy areas with optional side missions which may or may not factor in the 0 mission count.

All of them "next-gen AAA quality".
Good luck I say
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 12:35:50 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Aesaar

Lol at "this year".  Yes, haven't managed to make their core gameplay fun, but they're ready to release a 70 mission campaign.  Suuuure.

Even if they do release this year it it's going to be a pile of **** if it's based on AC's combat.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
If they've somehow done 70 missions this year then they've either been lying about progress or are lying now, which goes against the whole transparency in development shtick they've been hiding behind
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Lorric

Equivalent of 70 WC missions, how is that measured? Presumably the average WC mission X70? If I think average WC style mission, it involves a 3 point patrol killing enemies at each point.

How is this measured with Squadron 42? Do you have a 9 point patrol? Do they count the number of allies and enemies and measure by that, with Squadron 42 battles being about 3X bigger? That would probably be my guess, but I don't know. It might really feel like you have the content of 70 WC missions.

Or maybe they're sneaky and pick a mission like the 1st mission of WC3 to go on, where you do a 3 point patrol and kill a total of 4 enemy fighters. Wing Commander games are different from one another too. Wing Commander Prophecy has much larger battles than what came before it, which usually entailed the player and one wingman going on successively more difficult endurance runs against group after group after group of enemies.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Funny thing is, this forum better than probably any other, knows exactly what happens when you promise to deliver a 70 mission campaign. Either everything is very, very samey or it just never gets finished.

It's just simply not possible to come up with 70 good ideas for missions in such a short timespan. Even campaigns which have managed that sort of length and been good did so over the course of years and needed a really good storyline to make it work.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 08:09:47 pm by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I don't have a source on hand but last I heard, the "70 mission campaign" had gotten split into 5 episodic releases, with only the first episode due to show up in 2016. That sounds a lot more achievable.

Offline Aesaar

Sushi: he literally said in the video Akalabeth linked that SQ42 had been split into a trilogy, and part 1 was going to be "the equivalent of 70 Wing Commander-style missions".

So basically there's going to be 60 3 point patrol filler missions.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Even campaigns which have managed that sort of length and be good
Is that number of campaign !=0 ? No examples come to mind.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Aesaar

Derelict had, what, 50?  Released BP in total has about 50 as well, but that includes cutscenes.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Sushi: he literally said in the video Akalabeth linked that SQ42 had been split into a trilogy, and part 1 was going to be "the equivalent of 70 Wing Commander-style missions".

So basically there's going to be 60 3 point patrol filler missions.

That was recorded/released in April'15, when they probably still believed they could release something this year.

Now it looks like maybe the first episode of SQ42 might be released sometime in 2016, and god knows how much of it has already been re-designed 4 times.
Also, watching CR trundling on about this, I get the impression he is counting a mission which goes something like "space combat -> fps combat -> space combat -> fps combat -> space combat -> landing" as 3 separate WC-style missions.

That might technically be correct, but it will most likely consists of patrol filler missions.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Lorric

If your gameplay is addictive, you can get away with having lots of nothing special missions. Because you just enjoy having a reason to play a game you love. As long as the missions aren't flat out bad, simple stuff like "go here, destroy these enemies" will work and be fun. But of course, going by the opinions of the people here on the gameplay they've experienced so far and those terrible cockpits, that doesn't seem likely.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic

Eh, that'll teach me to not watch videos (ain't nobody got time for 25 minute videos, gimme text for crying out loud! :))

Fortunately the bit where he talks about SQ42 is near the beginning (2:24 or so).

It also sounded like it's supposed to be about 20 hours, so I think the "equivalent of 70 WC missions" is probably not that useful of a comparison metric. WC missions weren't *that* short, except perhaps if you're ignoring all the travel time and talky bits.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
As far as gameplay goes, the moment-to-moment fighter combat didn't seem *terrible* to me, just unpolished and somewhat lacking tactical options (I don't think they had energy management yet, for example). Of course, that was a year ago, so who knows what may have changed.

Point is, I think I'd be able to at least enjoy a campaign using Nov 2014 Star Citizen ships & gameplay.

I don't have a source on hand but last I heard, the "70 mission campaign" had gotten split into 5 episodic releases, with only the first episode due to show up in 2016. That sounds a lot more achievable.

Speaking of sources why didn't CR give more information at Citizencon? All he talked about was motion capture and said the campaign was "immense" and "epic" and 10 hours of Mo-cap.

And on this last point, 10 hours of mocap? Do people remember that  Witcher 3 has 16 hours of mo-caped sex alone?

Here are the details on SQ42 from the citizencon video:
https://youtu.be/IehITxsK4Fs?t=1h26m48s
'true next gen AAA game'
'your continued support has pushed the game beyond its original scope'
'Approach has evolved from wing commander style to now include:
Intense tactical ground combat, in space and EVA in amazing immersive detail
Immense sandbox locations, environments to explore and missions that offer multiple paths to completion'

then goes on to say
'an epic story campaign set within SC
over 10 hours of mo-cap with an incredible cast
cutting edge facial animations to ensure believability and immersion
A dynamic conversation and reputation system
you aren't serving alongside bots, they're real people with character and backstroy
define your character through your actions and interactions'

So, how many missions? How long is the game? What's the price?
That description honestly sounds more like Mass Effect than Wing Commander and everything they showed in the demo was basically Mass Effect walking around the Normandy. But that said it's not really clear what the game is at all. It's just a bucket of buzz words like epic, immense, immersion, sandbox, dialogue, reputation, character, AAA, branching or multiple path to completion gameplay, etcetera