Author Topic: What do you want this project to be?  (Read 133567 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: What do you want this project to be?
On a lighter note, my second wish is for you guys to produce a finished product that gives "BoE Syndrome" a positive connotation. :p

I've secretly been hoping for that too :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
I'd be very interested in helping out with the immersion aspect.  While I'm not skilled at modeling or texturing, I can certainly table edit, and as far as FREDing is concerned... I'm thinking I'm going to do a campaign based on Michael Stackpole's X-Wing series (1-4, screw everything in the series after that)
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I would like to see something that runs in the FS engine, but that plays like something totally different. Something that feels not exactly like the lucas arts games, but also something that doesn't feel like flying a GTF Perseus in the shape of an X Wing.

Weaker fighters will have a lot to do with this, as will more emphasis on jinking and less on Countermeasures (actually, the absence of CMs will mean major modifications to the aspect seeking nature of the missiles, or it will simply be too hard). And, of course, without beams it willbe hard to confuse the game with FS2. But still, the way things are done should be different - cockpits, for example, are a must, as are fiddling with the flight dynamics majorly between ships. A replacement for the afterburner will also have to be given (presumably by shunting up the max overclock speed dramatically).

As for the campaign itself, well, that'll depend on the ships we get made, of course. But I'd like to see more than just open space battles. Atmospheric missions, if they can be done, would be nice, but not essential. Making very, very rare nebula missions but fairly common asteroid field missions would be a good way to go I think.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I'd like to see a modpack. And maybe a campaign.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
brandx0, I could almost definitely use some table editing help right now.  Stop by the chat room sometime for a while.  I'm always in there but not always at my computer.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I can do tabling.

Offline Dysko

Do you remember I volounteered for tabling, too? :)
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yes, after I mentioned that I went through my list of what people had offered to do what, but he just happened to be the last person to mention tabling since I started looking for tabling.  So if anyone ever feels like giving me some tabling help, feel free to drop by IRC for a while sometime.  I especially need someone good with starmaps at the moment.

Upon seeing the new life that has penetrated into this project, my eyes have immediately attained a strong focus.
Seeing this topic has also made something twitch in my mind. Does this topic imply that this might not be a 'simple' X-wing clone?

You see, as much as I love the X-wing series (which I have enjoyed many times a year, since I was introduced way back in 1994) I think that it is somewhat stale.
X-wing Alliance, the most recent of the X-wing games was strikingly and comfortingly the same game as the original, albeit with many new features. While this was never a bad thing, It certainly made the game very alienating to people who had not played the previous games.

The problem with X-wing alliance was that it was meant to simulate Star Wars combat to a 1993 model that (because of limitations at the time) could never have been a genuine 'Star Wars experience'.
If one were to watch a replay of an X-wing Alliance flight, it would never quite look like any of the battles from the movie. It was though a very nicely polished rendition of X-wing.

I'm sure many of you would know that for the combat in Star Wars, Lucas was primarily inspired by the air battles of World War 2.
Lucas and his team studied film footage from World War 2 battles and the end result made this very apparent.

In this project I would love to see a shift away from the mechanics of the 1993 game into something more faithful to the movies.
As fantastic as they were, the X-wing series could never quite capture the urgency, comradeship, and romance (A glamorous interpretation of course!) that the World War 2 battles carried.

For this project to be successful, I would suggest that we need to steer away from what we X-wing veterans are comfortable with, and look closer at the reasons why the battle scenes in the movies were so engaging.

I certainly could not sit back and watch a replay of X-wing alliance and experience anything like what I feel watching Star Wars.

If I were to imagine flying an X-wing in a battle, I would want to be fighting not only a swarm of enemy fighters, but the limitations of my own craft. Getting to know my fighter as more than something that is 20 Mglt faster than a Tie Bomber and a certain percentage more maneuverable is what I want. Slight variations in the power and characteristics of weapons from craft to craft, certain 'tricks' that only someone skilled in the fighter of their choice can perform!

It could only hurt this project if it is to be another sim where the craft differ in small statistics only!

This project does not need a vision, as Lucas has already given it to us. We need to follow the vision that made us want to get into the cockpit of an X-wing in the first place.

Offline aRaven

i agree with the post above...

for example it is known the lasers of an Xwing pack more punch than the ones on an Awing

Yeah. I really think we need more movie-inspired dynamics to give even the best XWA pilots something new.

While it's probably a much larger ambition to do such things with the FS2 engine, it would certainly be good to make the experience fresh again...

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Thanks for the input broadbean, I completely agree that this should not be a clone of the Lucasarts games.  And to see how much this engine can do, just check out the Wing Commander and Battlestar TCs.  They've done some amazing things with the engine recently, and we're hoping to be right up there alongside them some day.  If we can get some more help that is.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Broadbean, I've been saying the same exact things as you in the IRC room ( #scp-swc on espernet ) for some time now, glad to see that us staffy types aren't the only ones interested in making this more than an XWA clone with better graphics.  I myself have pushed at movie-style action since I joined this project.

Great to have your input, would love to see you around here more!
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

If one were to watch a replay of an X-wing Alliance flight, it would never quite look like any of the battles from the movie. It was though a very nicely polished rendition of X-wing.
[...]In this project I would love to see a shift away from the mechanics of the 1993 game into something more faithful to the movies.
[...]For this project to be successful, I would suggest that we need to steer away from what we X-wing veterans are comfortable with, and look closer at the reasons why the battle scenes in the movies were so engaging.
I agree completely.
I would like to see more fluid and loose flight controls with extra drift when making hard turns.
In all the Star Wars films, fighters seem to "drift" or "float" around as they fly. Take for example the Jedi fighters in the beginning of ep.3 and the fighters attacking the second Death Star. This effect could probably be done just by giving pitch and yaw a little extra momentum and making them a little less sensitive. I know that the FS2 engine already implements drift (as seen when two fighters collide and bounce off each other) so just bump that up a bit.
For inspiration and clarification I cite the games Star Wars: Starfighter, Star Lancer, and of course BtRL (maybe not that extreme though).
The problem I noticed is in the the trench run video created for this project; while the ships look fantastic, I noticed that the standard Freespace 2 maneuvers seem exceptionally precise, stiff, and un-cinematic.

Enemy wise, if you're excluding anything from NJO and later, you have the Ssi-ruuk and the Yevetha as possiblilites.

I'm thinking I'm going to do a campaign based on Michael Stackpole's X-Wing series (1-4, screw everything in the series after that)
P.S. Aaron Allston’s books are excellent, jerk.

P.P.S. Sorry, I'm sure you're not actually a jerk.

P.P.P.S. Does anybody know where to download all or most of the SCP mods?

That's all, I swear.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 11:59:57 pm by Scourge of Ages »

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
See jr2's signature for the two sources I would recommend, either Turey's installer, if you want a online solution that lets you pick and choose what you want, or hip63's DVD, which has pretty much everything, and can be downloaded via torrent, saving Turey's hosts the bandwidth if you plan on getting everything there is to offer.

Now, the good stuff:

:welcome:

Thanks for your input on the mod, we appreciate it.  I'm glad people would take the time to register here just to leave their input on this mod, it lets me know that maybe we're moving in the right direction.

Hey thanks.
But I was thinking more of a mod-by-mod list that wouldn't be 3+ gigs.
And as a matter of fact, you inadvertantly led me to something similar: http://members.lycos.nl/afdportal/

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well, you said download them, and Turey's installer has the vast majority of the mods and campaigns listed as options.  Sounded like it was what you were looking for.

Offline ioken

I'd be very interested in helping out with the immersion aspect.  While I'm not skilled at modeling or texturing, I can certainly table edit, and as far as FREDing is concerned... I'm thinking I'm going to do a campaign based on Michael Stackpole's X-Wing series (1-4, screw everything in the series after that)

I agree with Scourge of Ages that Aaron Alliston's books are good too, and I think as far as campaigns go, you might wanna just make one about Wedge rather than part of a series

And I'm new here so I don't really know, but if you don't have it you should (at some point in time) make concentrated barrages take out sections of shields and cause hull damage (Like in the X-wing series how they always do torpedo barrages to get past shields)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 01:39:09 pm by ioken »

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Woohoo, two in one day:

:welcome:

Nice to have you aboard ioken!

Thanks for the input.  I'd love to see the barrage thing be possible in game, but there maybe be too many limitations in the engine for something like that to work.  I admit it's worth looking into though.

Sorry we missed you in IRC too.  I've been recovering from a LAN party I was at all weekend, and brandx0 is probably at work.

Offline ioken

Heh no biggie, I just had some general questions, and I don't know much about code outside some relatively basic vb, but off the top of my head IF you are going to do the barrages, you may want to try splitting capitol ship shielding into segments, I believe in one topic arround here you were talking about shunting shield energy to and fro.... I think it was in the thing about domes on a ISD... anyways, if you are thinking of doing the shunting, then that might have the added benefit of barrage's being effective, although if you aren't already doing the shunting, it would probably be a bit of work to do...