Author Topic: What do you want this project to be?  (Read 133565 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: What do you want this project to be?
We haven't done a lot of decision making on story, and briefing design yet.  We do know we intend for any campaign to currently be set in pre- new trilogy stuff, so either original trilogy or EU novel stuff.  We definitely intend to be more than a modeling shop, but whatever campaign gets done should be fresh, creative and impressive.  So a smaller release will probably come before a full campaign.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline aRaven

I'm all for episodic releases, like Valve does with Episode 1 and 2... it is quite nice and better for TCs

Offline Acin

I took a look at what the guys at the Wing Commander Saga did until now, and (without wanting to copy them) I think they took the right approach to modding, by firstly publishing a "preludium" to the big game testing all the bugs and so, and at the same time getting a real big feedback from  the public. I mean it's impossible to satisfy everybody's taste, but even 40 positive feedbacks with ideas would be helpfull to make up one's own mind on how to carry on with the game. I personally imagine a plot around the x-wing development, i.e, a story on how it was first implemented into the Rebell's forces. At first there might be an X-wing still in dark/black paint (wouldn't that be a texturing challenge ?) as an Imperial Prototype which gets stolen or highjacked by the player and has to be brought to the Rebellion. The Player would be of course flying this mission, while covering/protecting the designers that flee with him. The pre-release might then deal with just two or three missions out of the Imperium's AREA 51. It would fit in the time that was desired (pre Episode4) and such story has a lot of mission potential...  I'm open to your suggestions.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 08:51:51 am by Acin »
Find me on Skype as Martin Laske in Germany, Oberwesel

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
On a different note...
Who is responsible for the mission design? Is there already a concept in place on how a mission briefing is supposed to look like? Because besides a stunning graphic design, the players need a mission briefing. And if we do a campaign -even a short one-, we ought to come up with a storyline. Are there any plans to branch a story depending on the mission's outcome? Or do you rather prefere to have number of missions that you have to fly consecutively and all over again?
Are any standard replies for wingmen (and hopefully women) in plan ("Confirm. Break and attack! ", "Attacking [Corvette/TIE.../StarDestroyer]," , "Roger, Red one. Falling back into Formation.") ?
Sorry that I ask so many questions, but I had a feeling that this mod has now evolved to a mere modeling workshop.

Cheers, Acin

Don't worry. There are still a few people around from the old mod (me, Topace) and a few new people who have an idea about how to make things more that a model collection. I have a small campaign all plotted out that I'll be building once the shipset gets to where it needs to be, and I thik there'll be a main campaign being developed before long. A solid shipset is important though, before you can start FREDding.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline maje

I would like seemless hyperspace transitions like XWA did if possible, and if that is possible, it would be cool to have multi-part missions in different regions (XWA had so much potential with that and never seemed to really capitilize on it).

Story-wise, I think it should remain the Galactic Civil War pre-Yavin, or at least pre-Hoth.  Too many of the X-wing games deal with between Hoth and Endor (TIE Fighter and XWA), whereas I think X-wing is really more dated in how missions were done, so maybe certain missions could be referenced or possibly redone to be more interesting (for the love of Pete, put in-flight radio chatter in those if it's decided to recreate a mission like say "Capture the Frigate Priam").

In fact a good idea might be to do something based on the formation of the various Rebel factions that unite to form the Alliance to Restore the Republic.

Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I've always thought system hopping would be a good thing to have implemented, but currently there's no obvious mechanic for it in the engine.  We'd either have to jerryrig something to seem like you're system hopping or have something added to the codebase, and it'd be a significant workload either way.

Voice chatter is always a must for long pauses between action, we should have plenty of it.

Direct mission conversions are probably something we're going to avoid first, instead focusing on bringing an original, involving campaign, but rest assured that the shipset itself should be capable of conversion down the line.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Do you mean system hopping as in "at will" or something more like the red alert screen, just without the alert?
Would it really be that hard to switch out a skybox and every single ship (less one) in an instant?
IDK, but it sounds like something FRED could do. (Not sarcastic)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
IIRC, Allegiance has this, too.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well, FRED could maybe do it, but it still sounds pretty painful.  You'd have to be tracking which other ships have left the area if they're heading to where you're going, and which ones stayed behind, and when they should make the jump in too.  To do it XWA style, where each ship has to reach the navpoint, you'd have to actually be tracking two areas at one time.  I'm not sure fred could do that, but I could be wrong.  The other way is to actually try to fit multiple areas into one mission field, and just change the skybox.  You'd 'warp' via a method similar to what WCS is doing maybe from one area to another.  But I think the mission area would need to be increased a tad.  We're already gonna have a hard time fitting some models inside of it from what I've heard.

Offline maje

You know there was one other thing I was wondering about and that's if you guys are planning on making cockpits visible so we can see the pilots moving around, kind of like XWA and also The FSU are doing with the updated fighters.

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yes, later on.  It'll probably be something like a massive fighter upgrade once we get this project going a little better.  In fact, we'll be detail boxing the cockpits for use with the Virtual Cockpit mode as well.  And if we get the render to texture or whatever option to dynamically generate a texture, well, you can imagine where we can go with that...

Offline maje

Render to Texture?  Are you talking about trying some way to implement a normal map? (I'm sure that there are ways to fake normal mapping in games that don't support it).  Sorry my knowledge of the FS2 engine and implementing new models is a bit non-existant.  The only games I worked with were UnrealED2k3 and 2k4, and X-wing Alliance 3rd party editors like OPTech and Ace_DXF.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
For the multiple areas FRED idea, could you have "rooms" so to speak, and have the game only render the contents of the room you're in, but still have the ships in each room able to do everything like normal?  I mean, sort of like what happens to stuff that you're not facing; it doesn't get rendered.  And, you wouldn't have to play any sounds.  Ships would be able to jump back and forth from these rooms, but you can't just fly off the edge of one room into the other, there would be "warp points" in each room that connect them to each other at different locations.  Prolly impossible, but...

Offline maje

Another thing I was wondering.... would it be possible to incorporate seemless transitions between entering and exiting a planetary atmosphere?  I'm sure that there are ways to fake this, though it may be more SCP editing related.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It might be possible but the time involved in leaving an atmosphere could very well not be worth doing.

Offline Acin

This "leaving the atmosphere" thing, was something I have already put forward, but I also agree it is better to introduce such things later on.
Find me on Skype as Martin Laske in Germany, Oberwesel

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I suppose the cutscene / autopilot feature of WCS would come in handy there...  have you seen their demo?

First of all, Let me say that the force is strong in this one.

Very well done. The daily progress in this mod is nothing short of amazing If you don't mind some fun to help you along here is what I found on the net...

Jabba the Cat is very anxious that this mod is done, so that he can take revenge for his long lost cousin... Damned SOLO!

If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
:wakka:

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Lollercats and roflcopters!  Great!