Author Topic: Crickets chirping  (Read 7346 times)

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
FotG can and must achieve complete movie authenticity by having every ship that is too big for the player to fly move at the speed of plot and/or mission balance.  Best game ever!

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Gravity can help with the turning in that instance I guess. And weren't ISDs designed for multirole anyway?

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Well while I don't expect an ISD to stop on a dime, there's one bit that's very telling about the ISD's acceleration capabilities in RotJ.

The Imperial fleet is sent to the far side of Endor's moon, and ordered to wait.  The Emperor knew that the rebel fleet was coming, but didn't have any sort of time scale for that.  He simply knew they'd come.  From this we can assume that the fleet was at something approaching a dead stop.

When the rebel fleet arrives, within moments the Imperial fleet swings around the moon and is in engagement range.  While perhaps there was some dramatic editing involved, I can't bring myself to believe that the cut from "It's a trap" to the fleets engaging each other was a timelapse of several hours, so we know that the ISD (And, by extension, the Executor) can accelerate from nearly zero relative velocity to a very high speed within minutes, in order to swing around the moon so quickly.

Actually I just thought about that a while ago, and came up with an alternative explanation, which I think isn't entirely silly:

The fleet wasn't on the other side of the moon, but somewhere on the outskirts of the whole system. The Emperor tells Vader to "send the fleet to the far side of Endor". Did he mean the moon? The whole system? The planet Endor which the moon is supposed to orbit? I don't think it's implausible to think that the fleet in fact wasn't on the opposite side of the moon, but rather somewhere further away, outside immediate sensor range. From there it could have done a short near-instantaneous hyperspace jump to suddenly appear behind the rebel fleet.

Offline newman

You can overthink these things to death and still be right where you started. When they film this stuff they almost never have a table of set specifications for the ships and then think what's possible, they pretty much do what the plot requires and let the fans think about how fast, big, armored, or well armed a ship is. Of course, debating this stuff can be fun so I'm in no means trying to discourage your discussion, just saying, almost any explanation is theoretically possible :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
FotG can and must achieve complete movie authenticity by having every ship that is too big for the player to fly move at the speed of plot and/or mission balance.  Best game ever!

Huh, you know, I can actually see how to FRED this.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Wait are you talking about like how in arcade racing games AI will play catch up and slow down to keep you close by?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline newman

Axem already did it.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Axem already did it.

He WOULD have

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
There are... multiple ways to FRED it, none particularly elegant. :\
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The way I'm thinking of is the elegant way.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
you most spill the beans

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm gonna talk it over with Axem first.

Well, regardless of accuracy, you will want to make sure they are capable of DECELERATING at a relatively decent speed for the sake of the FS2 engine.

Capital ships coming out of warps in FS2 tend to do so well above their normal max speeds.  In some mods, this becomes really noticable due to some larger custom ships having extremely slow acceleration and deceleration speeds.  Which can result in a large just-out-of-warp ship zooming along at fighter-afterburner speeds, and not slowing down to its normal max speed for a good minute or so.  I am assuming of course that whatever visual changes are being for Star Wars hyperspace to be in FS2's engine doesn't change this core mechanic of course. 

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Capitals coming out of hyperspace has been sorted out.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
The way I'm thinking of is the elegant way.

Not as clumsy or random, but a more elegant method, from a more civilized time.