Author Topic: NuY-Wing  (Read 61209 times)

Offline Davin

Good sir, continue modelling. I can't wait for this mod to be finished, and I really don't care how long it takes if it's going to look this good.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
This render was made with displacement, an effect which adds geometry based on a normal map.  It's a great tool for making renders look great, as well as for adding more shadowed detail to the texture when baking.  The in game model is 4200 polies.

Wowee! :eek: Sick model, brandx0. Absolutely awesome. The detail is stunning.

If I may critique, though, there are a couple little inaccuracies. :P 1) There's no transparasteel window aft of the cockpit 2) The design of the "dome" underneath the command section is incorrect. Other than that, it looks incredible. I can't quite tell, but it looks like you fixed the nose section, too. I'd have to see it from a different angle. lol :p Still, awesome work! :yes:

There is a window at the very back of the cockpit on the model, as in the movie (look at the in cockpit shots of the Y-Wing pilots)

I'm not sure what dome you're referring to, perhaps the one at the back of the cockpit near the neck?

Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline jacek

Thanks Brand0x  :) You use highpoly model for baking textures.. so this model on final render won't be ingame model. This is like I think before but some people say so much about it and don't know nothing about it. It's something sad. I've got one more question" do you put normal map texture to displacement map slot??

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
That's the final model as far as I'm aware, but it's rendered up using a ray-tracing system, not scan-line render as used by video game software. The FS2 Engine already supports normal and height mapping (which is similar to displacement mapping) and so will render the model with the maps it already has, however, the lighting and shading won't be equal quality to the pictures shown up there, no radiosity etc for example :)

This render was made with displacement, an effect which adds geometry based on a normal map.  It's a great tool for making renders look great, as well as for adding more shadowed detail to the texture when baking.  The in game model is 4200 polies.

Wowee! :eek: Sick model, brandx0. Absolutely awesome. The detail is stunning.

If I may critique, though, there are a couple little inaccuracies. :P 1) There's no transparasteel window aft of the cockpit 2) The design of the "dome" underneath the command section is incorrect. Other than that, it looks incredible. I can't quite tell, but it looks like you fixed the nose section, too. I'd have to see it from a different angle. lol :p Still, awesome work! :yes:

There is a window at the very back of the cockpit on the model, as in the movie (look at the in cockpit shots of the Y-Wing pilots)

I'm not sure what dome you're referring to, perhaps the one at the back of the cockpit near the neck?

Ah, what I meant is there is suppose to be a transparasteel window aft of the cockpit, but there isn't one on the model you created. :p Hope that clears it up. ;)

Regarding the "dome", I meant the bulging inverted dome like structure underneath the cockpit section. I'll have to pull out one of my reference pics that show the correct design as soon as I can.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 12:23:23 pm by Vector Leader »
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline jacek

some people say so much about it and don't know nothing about it. It's something sad.  

Flipside: I don't say it about You of course :) but about some people who talks more than know and always want to show how clever are..
As I know Normal map makes illusion of 3d but displacemapping adds some geometry. Fortunatelly radiosity and other beautifull effects is not a problem because as brand0x say it may be baked on texture and effect in game are quite good. I test it in FCP and I'm not disappoint :D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 01:08:22 pm by jacek »

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
The window is in there (That section of the map wasn't completed when that render was made)

Also, that thing on the bottom is correct:

Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy

And if there's another model with something different, then you're both correct.  But as Brand is solely using one model for reference, he's not changing it.  Could be a variant if we can get good refs for it though.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Well there were a few different models of the Y made, all of which are similar in the fact that they've got 2 engines and a cockpit... hehe

Really, when you get into the details they're not even remotely similar.  I chose to use this one because A) It's less used as a reference than other models, B) It's the largest scale model, and C) I had the best photos of it to go off of.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
And starting to get dirty.  Still WIP

The window is in there (That section of the map wasn't completed when that render was made)

Ah, that explains it. lol

Well there were a few different models of the Y made, all of which are similar in the fact that they've got 2 engines and a cockpit... hehe

Really, when you get into the details they're not even remotely similar.  I chose to use this one because A) It's less used as a reference than other models, B) It's the largest scale model, and C) I had the best photos of it to go off of.
Yeah, your right about that. I have quite a bit of reference shots for the good ol' Y-wing, and I've never seen that specific design for the cockpit section's "undercarriage" before. Fascinating. I stand corrected. lol :p

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Brand which Y-wing version was that? The ones for Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Narvi

Brand which Y-wing version was that? The ones for Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi?

There were Y-wings in ESB? Where? The big fleet bit at the end?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
yeah, the one with the Nebulon B.  I'm fairly sure the one brand is using isn't the ANH version so i figure its porbably the ESB or RotJ.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

I gotta say, Brand, you are one hell of a modeler. I mean damn, you've nailed the proportions, scaling, and the meticulous detail. Awesome work. And for a mod? Wow. Have you had any formal training? I wish I knew how to do this. lol And with the old FS2 engine no less. :yes:

I don't recall seeing the particular Y-wing filming model your using as a reference, before. At least close up and from the underside. Quite interesting indeed. Are you planning on redoing that sick fully faired A4 model from the Incredible Cross Sections book? I was really blown away with the initial one that was created before the HD incident. lol ;)

...you know what? I just noticed the R5 unit doesn't have it's antennae. :p
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 10:06:21 pm by Vector Leader »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
He's been modeling since he could count to 10.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Not quite, maybe 100 though.

Hehe, I've been working in various forms of computer generated imagery since i was about 5 or so, my dad was a draftsman and had me learning Autocad back then.  After that I continued on Autocad until about 10 or so when I switched to 3D Studio R4, and later 3D Studio Max, which I've used to this day.  I took computer art classes in High School, but to be honest, there was no training involved in those courses, you walked in, did what you wanted for a while and then left.  My teacher was also the school counsellor, and had never used 3D studio max before, which I guess makes me self taught

Offline jacek

haha xD Your story with modelling is very similar to my own  ;) My older brother was designer and teach me autocad when I was about 10 and about 2 years later I switch to 3ds max R3  :D

Offline DhruvK

Looks spectacular Brand!

Question about the texturing. Are the Gold squadron markings going to be that muted on the final model or is that something you're planning to revisit?

It does look amazing. Well done!  :yes:
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.