Author Topic: Noob, Er, I mean, NuB-wing  (Read 35113 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: Noob, Er, I mean, NuB-wing
So it's like the Badger (Two-seat) Starfury, only shows up on one episode for two seconds on the entire series. :P

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Well, you see the B-wings in multiple shots when they're jumping from Sullust, then in a couple of shots when approaching the Death Star and opening S-foils, and in two more shots when they're pulling up. After that, no trace of them whatsoever.

They're also the only fighter which is never seen firing. Even the Y-wing and A-wing are both seen firing their lasers once (and the A-wings of course also firing missiles at Executor's dome).

I'm sure Adywan will insert a few into the background during the fight scenes, though.

P.S. Extra cookie for whoever knows in which scene the A-wing is seen firing its lasers, it's pretty easy to miss.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
When they destroy the Executor's shield generator, of course.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Aren't those concussion missiles?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
They fired those in quick succession, but they were a bit thick to be lasers, so I don't know.

I rewatched the battle. One A-wing shoots a single projectile right after Wedge says: "Good shot, Red 2." It's when you can see a lone frigate harrassing an ISD's side.

As for the SSD scene: Whatever the A-wings shoot then, it makes a sound that's more like the sound of laser fire. The concussion missiles that were fired at the reactor make somewhat of a different sound, however.

Whatever.  :nervous: The battle wasn't made to be analyzed in such depths.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:22:17 pm by TopAce »

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy

The fact that we can sit around and do such analysis is why I love you guys so much.

Offline zookeeper

They fired those in quick succession, but they were a bit thick to be lasers, so I don't know.

I rewatched the battle. One A-wing shoots a single projectile right after Wedge says: "Good shot, Red 2." It's when you can see a lone frigate harrassing an ISD's side.
Correct! And if you look closely, that shot even hits one of the TIEs, sending it crashing into the ISD.

As for the SSD scene: Whatever the A-wings shoot then, it makes a sound that's more like the sound of laser fire. The concussion missiles that were fired at the reactor make somewhat of a different sound, however.
I'm sure one could come up with some different interpretations of what exactly happens on-screen in those scenes, but so far we've chosen the following assumptions: the A-wings shoot Dymek HM-6 missiles missiles at the dome, so that's what HM-6's will look and sound like. The Falcon shoots Arakyd ST2 missiles at the core, so that's what ST2's will look and sound like. Of course we don't really know what missiles the ships were equipped with, but HM-6 and ST2 were picked simply because they'll probably be the most common missiles in FotG, meaning that the familiar and recognizable effects will get the most screen time.

Maybe not, but if I need reference material for some kind of an effect for example, I'd still rather grab that from a couple of isolated frames from the movie than by just coming up with something entirely on my own.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Of course they could be bigger then normal laser shots due to power redirection ala the AT-AT taking out the power generator in ESB. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline zookeeper

Not so fast. They aren't originating from where the laser cannons are mounted either. ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Not so fast. They aren't originating from where the laser cannons are mounted either. ;)
well spotted.
its also a bit yellow-ish to be a laser.

Offline newman

Pic is a bit on the small side, but from what I can tell the color and shape seem to be consistent with missile exhaust. What we need are those CSI guys to do a picture analysis with their magical equipment.. Like this.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Snail

• SC 5
hehe, lol.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Here from the SW databank:

Behind the Scenes
The peculiar shape of the B-wing fighter worked against it in earning screen time. The extremely thin front and back views of the fighter made it all but disappear in shots against space, so many of the planned B-wing sequences were cut from the film.

My question did they bother to film it and cut it or not at all?  If it was filmed is it somewhere?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Here from the SW databank:

Behind the Scenes
The peculiar shape of the B-wing fighter worked against it in earning screen time. The extremely thin front and back views of the fighter made it all but disappear in shots against space, so many of the planned B-wing sequences were cut from the film.

My question did they bother to film it and cut it or not at all?  If it was filmed is it somewhere?
methinks they wanted to demonstrate wartime development and the progression of the alliance tech, similar to the introduction of the TIE interceptor.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I know of no deleted scene that features the B-wing. I know, however, that a couple of concept drawings were made for the B-wing. There's one in which you can see some (three/four?) B-wings with an ISD that's about to explode in the background.

And judging from the wording of the Databank excerpt, there were more scenes that would have featured the B-wing, but they were filmed but cut. I suppose they didn't make those scenes public.

Offline Narvi

Or it could mean that filming them were too difficult and the storyboarded scenes were never actually filmed.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Brand, did you finish this model?  I know you've moved on to the TIE Interceptor - is that just a break from your other projects or is the B-Wing complete?  I'm trying to pull together all your finished Wallpaper renders to shuffle through my desktop - do you have those all in one place or do I need to search through the individual threads for them?

Thanks!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well there's always the FotG Screenshots browser.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Hehe, no the B-Wing is not finished, I was getting a bit frustrated with some things on it and decided to take a break for a while with the Interceptor.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Done, minus dirt of course:

Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport