Author Topic: Noob, Er, I mean, NuB-wing  (Read 35111 times)

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Re: Noob, Er, I mean, NuB-wing
The point being...

I'm also curious how the cockpit would work for the B-wing.

I'm also curious how the cockpit would work for the B-wing.

The weird thing about the B-Wing is that its centre of mass is in the cockpit. And having the fuselage continuously rotate around the cockpit doesn't  make much sense either. It would be impossible to aim at smaller targets. As a game feature, I think the rotation of the fuselage should be determined by rolling.

If the centre of mass is put in the cockpit, rolling would swing the fuselage around the eye-point. Approaching a capship in a roll would make the pilot hard to hit (the fuselage is moving even when the fighter's overall motion is perpendicular to the target), but allow the player to get an easy lock on since the reticule would remain stationary.

When trying to peg enemy fighters, the pilot wouldn't roll, so it would be easier to predict where the shots would land.

It still doesn't explain why the craft's centre of mass is in the cockpit, but at least it would be fun to fly.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
A wizard. . . I mean Jedi did it.

Repulsor doodads or handwavium.

On a rather different note, I can appreciate most of the other "alphabet fighters" look like their namesakes from certain angles, but I never twigged how the B Wing did.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Unobtanium for the win.  :yes:

Do what X-Wing did with a bit more creativity. Put the CM in the central connection point - you know, where the engines are. A fighter making turns about the cockpit pod would just look... odd. It would play strangely as well. S-Foils with the B-Wing will get really tricky really fast unless you decide on a convention quick. According to much of the SW stuff I've read (may be based on the games), the B-Wing typically only has the wing locked so it lays to the side of the cockpit or swings beneath it when the smaller foils extend. The reason for this is the rotation mechanism on the cockpit was... generally not the most reliable.

If FotG has atmospheric missions... you might consider two different B-Wing models: one that positions itself normally and one that lays on its side even when the smaller attack wings are extended. You would use the normal one (looks like a t or cross) for space combat and the wing for atmospheric ops. The latter strangely makes a bit-o-sense for SW. The B-Wing is strangely aerodynamic for a change...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
You know, when I was young, I always knew if it was a Rebel or Imp ship just by the name. If it was "Letter"-wing, it was Reb.

Nice ship anyway. Done in 3DS Max?
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline newman

Personally, I was happy with the way the b-wing worked in x-w:alliance. No need to overcomplicate things.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

On a rather different note, I can appreciate most of the other "alphabet fighters" look like their namesakes from certain angles, but I never twigged how the B Wing did.

The answer to how the B-Wing got it's name has to do with the design team on RotJ.  One of the guys (looking at a side view of it) said it looks like a blade.  Hence B-Wing.  I personally thought it made more sense to be called a T-Wing.  But then again the Y-Wing is not a rear view either.

Although the Colonial Viper from the original BSG was the concept design for the Y-Wing.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
And then the EU made a T-wing anyway.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Although the Colonial Viper from the original BSG was the concept design for the Y-Wing.

Wait, really? I thought Star Wars predated BSG.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yep. Star Wars opened in 77, BSG started in 78 as a cash-in. And I would like to see some evidence of that, because the Viper doesn't look anything like the Y-Wing design concepts I've seen so far....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Yep. Star Wars opened in 77, BSG started in 78 as a cash-in. And I would like to see some evidence of that, because the Viper doesn't look anything like the Y-Wing design concepts I've seen so far....
so in other words "pics or it didn't happen"?
the cockpit is a little bit similiar, so its not entirely impossible, except for the dates being backwards.
maybe its the viper that's loosly based on y-wing? anyway, little OT there, so...
yeah, the simple way it worked in XWA would work dandy, i'd think, but maybe it could be the way we see it in render in 'flight' mode, then the wing swings underneath with the s-foils deploying, ready for attack..?
like this:
flight:
 o=--
attack:
........... o
...........-|-
.-..........|

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Wait, really? I thought Star Wars predated BSG.

I assume he might mean the Colonial Viper was based off a failed concept piece for the Y-wing, ie made for Star Wars but not used in A New Hope.  Ergo it is not a temporal anomaly and the timeline secure.  Go Agent 5 of the TSA!
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Okay, that makes sense. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I had to read it a couple times at first myself.  Though there is no guarantee he did actually mean it the other way and has been huffing glue :D
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
*snip

Actually said the same thing earlier in my post.  :D

The whole spinning thing is a cool idea, but practical implementation will either: (a.) be impossible to manage properly and make gamplay... more unpleasant [than it will be already with the B-Wing] or (b.) you do it right, but development speed suffers as a result. Given the difficulty with respect to the second option, option 'a' is unfortunately a more plausible outcome. A complex flight operation involves complex controls. Either it will take the SCP coders a tremendous amount of time and effort to get those controls for truly proper or the mod staff will determine that the average player doesn't/shouldn't need to worry about those factors; the latter obviously nerfs and degrades gameplay. Seeing as that's the sort of thing Lucas Arts does in respect to these things... FotG should probably just keep it simple.

Again I reference my earlier post. A B-Wing for space (required) that extends into a 't' or cross, and an atmospheric B-Wing (possible depending on the final scope of FotG) which stays flat and opens its wings while in attack mode so as to look like the sideways 't.' In which case, you'd be flying your fighter like an asymmetrical aircraft. Also note that aiming with the B-Wing against small targets, regardless of position, is going to be hard. If it's spinning about the cockpit... it's going to be really tough to 'a whole 'notha level.'
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Again I reference my earlier post. A B-Wing for space (required) that extends into a 't' or cross, and an atmospheric B-Wing (possible depending on the final scope of FotG) which stays flat and opens its wings while in attack mode so as to look like the sideways 't.' In which case, you'd be flying your fighter like an asymmetrical aircraft. Also note that aiming with the B-Wing against small targets, regardless of position, is going to be hard. If it's spinning about the cockpit... it's going to be really tough to 'a whole 'notha level.'
yeah, i just realised  re-interated your post  :rolleyes:
anyway, maybe that making it a ***** to aim at small targets can serve as a balance for a lot of firepower...?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The B-Wing's main attraction is its heavy torpedo load, very dense (albeit scrawny) hull, and thick shields. It's usually cited as being faster than the Y-Wing as well. I'll agree to that. But I refuse to believe any 'superior maneuverability' crap that Lucas Arts tried putting out in the past. As for balancing goes, I think that would be fair.

Sure it holds more torps, is a bit toughter and faster than the good 'ole Y-Wing, but it's garbage in a furball...

As far as cannons go, The B-Wing actually isn't all that over-powered. Three... not terribly placed laser cannons and three widely separated ion cannons... though that's debatable. Many sources have different configurations for the weapons; some even claim the big gun at the bottom is a turbolaser!  ;7

<Thaeris notes that he could forgive the B-Wing for sucking so hard if FotG made the bottom gun a turbolaser.>

Note ion cannons are quite specialized... but that might change depending on how the team balances everything. However, you're only going to use that weapon only so much... unlike the lasers, which you're going to be using all the time. Three lasers isn't too overpowered. The moral of the story is that the B-Wing is unfun enough in fighter combat already. There's probably no good reason to make it worse by spinning it around [by the engine pod... not the cockpit!], having the viewpoint change consistantly, and having the firepoints change all the time despite any auto-aim. It would be a shame to let anyone who actually likes this hulk now change their mind due to FotG... Boanerges syndrome, perhaps?

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Center of gravity in the engine pod, definitely. Just because the cockpit is the only place that swivels, doesn't mean it's the center of gravity, even though it seemed like it was in the games. We have the technology (I assume) to put the viewpoit somewhere besides the center of gravity.
Sure it'll be a little harder to dogfight in, but it always was; no reason to complicate it further by making the ship constantly swinging willy-nilly.

@Thaeris, I think the ions could be useful, even for just adding extra punch to taking down a cap ship's shields, or in a dogfight to save your cannons for the killing shot. Of if two of them are mounted on the cockpit pod-like in X-Wing-they could be useful in their own right.

P.S. Excellent model work as always, Brand.

P.P.S. Generally, the Star Wars universe tends to follow our laws of physics, wherever possible.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The laser at the wingtip is a Gyrhil R-9x Heavy Laser Cannon, which will probably be the most powerful fighter laser in the game, however there's only one of it.  Still, it will pack a punch, if you can hit something with it.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Narvi

Where exactly do the torpedoes fit, anyway?