Author Topic: Noob, Er, I mean, NuB-wing  (Read 35114 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Noob, Er, I mean, NuB-wing
That's debatable.  Some say in the tip of the wing, some say alongside the engines.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
My flag is planted at the engine camp.

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Center of gravity in the engine pod, definitely. Just because the cockpit is the only place that swivels, doesn't mean it's the center of gravity, even though it seemed like it was in the games. We have the technology (I assume) to put the viewpoit somewhere besides the center of gravity.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. If the whole fuselage rotates arount the cockpit, then the centre of mass would be in the cockpit. The eyepoint hasn't got much to do with it where it's rotating.

I've thrown a little simulation of a b-wing. It's not much compared to brand's b-wing, but it illustrates the idea of having the centre of mass in the cockpit and how it affects gameplay. It looks a little bit odd flying around, but not too bad. There's no mission supplied, so you'll have to make your own.

p.s. If I said centre of gravity before, I meant centre of mass. Maybe a pointless distinction, but whatever.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
I think the point he was trying to make was that physically the B-wing probably shouldn't rotate around the cockpit, as the centre of mass would be in the engines.  Just because the cockpit rotates doesn't mean the whole ship rotates around the cockpit.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Hmmm.  So what I'm picturing here, now, is a b-wing flying in a straight line, with its cockpit spinning. Is this  right?

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Hmmm.  So what I'm picturing here, now, is a b-wing flying in a straight line, with its cockpit spinning. Is this  right?
I think we're talking about the ship spinning around the cockpit still....right?

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
Holy cow Brandx... How many ships do you do a day? I guess that may be besides the point though. Anyhow, that's a nice looking ship you've got there. :yes:
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

I think we're talking about the ship spinning around the cockpit still....right?

Well, I had just looked at wookiepedia, and they don't actually say what's rotating around what. They just mention a rotating cockpit system.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text

Well, I had just looked at wookiepedia, and they don't actually say what's rotating around what. They just mention a rotating cockpit system.
yeah, i think its interpertation is that it rotates so the pilot is always 'right side up' IN SPACE, so relative to the pilot, the rest of the ship spins around it, but really its just the cockpit if you think about it spinning, but could be other way around while barrel rolling

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Go Agent 5 of the TSA!

Careful... the forums have been known to be "slippery when wet". :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Did they ever solve the argument about putting ion cannons in the game or not?  If so how many will the B-Wing have?

And Yes I meant that BSG took ideas from Star Wars.  John Dykstra was one of the concept designers on episode IV.  Lucas had thrown several concepts into the trash can and Dykstra took them back out and used the on BSG.  Lucas sued Dykstra and lost due to the designs having been in the trash.  That you can look up for your self.  And this is why you don't see as much concept art for IV as you do V and VI.

Some examples as as follows:

Cylon Base ship = Death Star
Battlestars = Star Destroyer
Cylon Raider = TIE Fighter
Colonial Viper = Y-Wing (look at it dead on from the back or front.  It is an upside down Y)
Centurions = Stormtroopers
Warrior uniforms = Rebel uniforms.

There were others.  I just don't remember them off the top of my head.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Hate to cite 4chan, the greatest hive of scum and villiany on the net, but you should post your source in this instance. Your information does sound quite credible, though.  :yes:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
*snip*
Makes sense...
But the B-wing's engine is not on its cockpit.

Offline newman

TBH I'm not sure about the TOS baseship being a rejected concept from the Death Star. I do know for sure that they came up with the ship using a greebled up empty film roll, see here:

Of course, that doesn't preclude the possibility that it's still a lucasfilm early Death Star concept, but I wasn't able to find anything to support this. I've also seen some concept art on the first Death Star, and from what I can tell it was always meant to look like a small moon.. could be mistaken tho. Doesn't mean that the rest of the info isn't true, TOS BSG was the poor man's Star Wars, after all.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
yeah, i think its interpertation is that it rotates so the pilot is always 'right side up' IN SPACE, so relative to the pilot, the rest of the ship spins around it, but really its just the cockpit if you think about it spinning, but could be other way around while barrel rolling

I think you've hit this on the head for the most part. The whole point of the rotation mechanism was to keep the pilot oriented with the target, despite moving the ship about. There's not too many shots of the B-Wing in the films, namely due to the fact that it was a hard ship to film. But, if there were more shots, you can be sure you'd not see the ship rolling about the cockpit. SW is famous for illogical ship design/handling aspects in many instances, but having the CM inside the canopy would be just... too stupid, even for LucasFilm. Part of the reason dogfights in SW were so fun to watch was there was some form of believeability to them... in some abstract sense, at least. If they could film more of the B-Wing, you better believe they'd not have the CM in the cockpit for this reason at least.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

My source for this predates WWW.  But I have found a few links here and there.

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/John_Dykstra (look under BSG section there).

http://www.kobol.com/archives/BG-FAQ.html#G6

http://www.adherents.com/people/pl/George_Lucas.html

While I have not been able to find specifics to the lawsuit, they do suggest that Dykstra took concepts for effects from SW to BSG.  I might be wrong about the designs being taken from the trash, as I can find no direct evidence of this.  The logic is sound in the matter as Dykstra was known to piggy back everything he did.  Admittedly I was told this over twenty years ago and it could have been a game of telephone from the original lawsuit.  If you can find specifics on the lawsuit as to what the "similarities" were that Fox was suing over we might be able to get clarification.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
It'd really be nice if this thread got back on topic.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Post progress.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
It's coming, don't worry.

Sorry Brand.

I did ask a question earlier that was on topic.  Did they ever finish the debate about whether or not they were putting ion cannons in the game?  if so how many are going to be on the B-Wing?