Author Topic: Resurrecting the Assault Gunboat  (Read 23430 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: Resurrecting the Assault Gunboat
Imperial grey with blue or black markings.  The grey would give it more of a working vessel look where as white of the lambda is more of a ceremonial look which goes against the AG's sharp end of battle role
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
No red, please. Imperial blue-grey with dark blue trim would work; if you go with a two-tone scheme, you might consider a lighter grey in some areas.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline TomShak

Yeah I'm not big on the red ...

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
TomShak, do you think you could post up a few wireframe pics, as well as orthographic views of the model from front, back, side, top?  I'd love to take a closer look at it.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline TomShak

You'll have to ignore "Commander Steele", he's for sizing purposes ;)

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Sorry to be demanding, but could I also get the ortho shots in a shaded view?  Thanks TomShak.

Also, what program are you using?
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline TomShak

Not demanding at all, I'm glad to receive any feedback :)

I am using Blender for the modelling, which is free and apparently somewhat popular for doing Freespace models.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I will note that keeping the six-panel cockpit has an advantage here, as the pilot might appreciate a little more freedom in movement, if you know what I mean. I'd increase the length of the nose as well, if possible.

I think increasing the breadth of the vertical stab might also help the appearance a bit.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline TomShak

So now I need some advice on modelling. This could be Blender specific or maybe it's not ... anyway I'm trying to add some bump map detail to the wings ... When my bump map is viewed from a "high" angle it looks great, loads of bumpiness.

However this effect disappears quite rapidly once the camera angle becomes even a bit flatter.

This hardly looks bumpy at all. Now obviously normal maps are not the same as actually adding real surface detail, and as you start to get very close to being flat on the surface it will be apparent that it isn't bumpy. However, my understanding is that the normal map should be giving a much bumpier appearance in the second image than it actually is ....

Can anyone confirm this?

AFAIK, that really all depends on the material lighting settings. I don't know which settings in Blender would be comparable with the FSO ones though. Try decreasing (or otherwise playing with) your diffuse reflections and specular hardness, that might help.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
It looks as if the light is coming almost directly from the camera.  Because a normal map only approximates shading, if the lighting is coming from the camera, the effect won't be noticeable except in cases where there's a face that can reflect that light back.  Try a different lighting setup, put the lights on an angle from the camera and you'll be able to see it.

Offline TomShak

Doesn't matter where the light is positioned, the problem is the same ...

Offline TomShak

Raised this on the blender forum, I'll see if anyone there knows ....