Author Topic: Resurrecting the Assault Gunboat  (Read 23428 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Re: Resurrecting the Assault Gunboat
Damn Skippy, you're going places with that!  :D :yes:

I do have another profile sketch in the works if you're interested, so I might be able to post something this afternoon.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline TomShak

I'm always interested to see some more sketches :)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
What app is that by the way, Blender?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline TomShak

Yup, Blender. I'd not used it before, but I'm fairly pleased with it now I've got used to it.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
I've noticed that on the vertical wing you've used the same mounting as the Lambda, down to the exact shape.  You have to be careful when doing that, because the human eye will use that as a scaling clue.  As a result, things like that can make it look a little off, as if it should be bigger or smaller than it is.  I think it'd be better if it was the same style, but a slightly different shape.

I've found a good trick when dealing with similar greebles with different scales is to reduce the count of of a repeating objects for a smaller version, or a higher count for a larger one.  In this case, to keep the sense of scale right, you could remove one of the ribs from the side.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline TomShak

Thanks brandx0, I see what you mean :) I'll do that, that's a useful tip to remember in future :)

I may require some assistance from people with the greebles, not done anything like that before so could definitely use some extra eyes to see if they look good or not ... not quite on greebling yet, but getting close to having the basic shape done.

Offline newman

Quick photoshop job to illustrate my suggestions:

As you can see I enlarged the missile pods and thickened the wings a bit - they were a tad on the flimsy side. Maybe they should be enlarged/thickened even more. I'd also round off the missile pod's corner angles a bit more.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline TomShak

I agree on thicker wings :) But personally not sold on the bigger engine pods. I've also tried pods which are "smoother" but in my opinion they don't look as good, the smoothness of the pods contrasts too much with the hard lines of the wings and cockpit - it all looks a bit out of place.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
What do you think this is newman, a DX9?  ;)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline newman

No, but I don't much like the craft/weapons capacity ratio I'm seeing here. This thing's purpose is to launch torps and cause some pain, and it seems 90% of it's mass has nothing to do with that. I also like the styling on fractal's missile pods better, the round angles sell the thing for me. Just my personal quirk, though; I know from personal experience no matter what you do someone will find it too wide/slim/bulky/long/gray/mysterious/whatever - so carry on. What's important is he sticks with it and finishes the gunboat :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:58:57 pm by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline TomShak

Another update ... now with cockpit, and some detail underneath. Plus a view from the back because we haven't had one of those yet.

Not sure whether to go for the cockpit as above (most like the Lambda) or whether to add crossbars to divide it into 6 pieces ...

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
A thicker canopy structure definately, as is it's extremely thin.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Actually I like the thin canopy structure.  It contrasts the thicker rebel ships.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline TomShak

I think it also fits better with the lambda's lines which are very thin

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
So a little update on some new shapes I've been working on. I think this still looks like an Assault Gunboat, but also feels a bit more like the Lamba shuttle ...

Let me know what you think ...

Am I the only one that liked the direction you were going with this cockpit more than the current one?  I really liked the smoother "lambda" feel to it, which really set it more apart from rebel fighters.  I like the rest of your model, just not a big fan of the cockpit.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Guess I forgot about that. Been a long time seeing it.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Here's what I'm envisioning as a good compromise of your newer nose shape but with a more lambda-feeling cockpit:

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
I think it also fits better with the lambda's lines which are very thin

Are you talking about the white lines across the cockpit?  I always thought those were reflections, not actual pylons.  Anyone have any shots that can confirm one or the other?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Here's what I'm envisioning as a good compromise of your newer nose shape but with a more lambda-feeling cockpit:

I have to disagree on that one - that's pretty "blah" appearance-wise.

The AG canopy is actually, as far as Imperial fighters go, pretty good. The break at the end of the forward frame lifts the canopy slightly, allowing the pilot a degree of visibility to the rear. My take on the design pushes this a little further still, giving the apex of the canopy a slight peak... stand by for drawings...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline TomShak

Okay easy enough to compare:

What do people prefer?

Re: the lines on the lambda shuttle, they're on every image of the Lambda I've seen .. and they're always in the same place. So I think they are part of the cockpit, reflections tend to move with the light source.