Author Topic: mando's CSA WIP thread  (Read 7772 times)

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
mando's CSA WIP thread
hello again, this is another work in progress thread of mine, the main difference is that I am asking for advice and opinions on ships that are all alligned with the CSA (Coporate Sector Authority) and yes, these are all prexisting ships
my first ship is the 2-Warpod it has had its plasma torch replaced with a torp launcher to make it fit into a bomber role. again, I am asking for comments and advice on changes I can make to make it look better. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/2_Warpod
next on my list is the IRD, and IRD-A I will post pics after I recieve feed back on this one

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
Re: mando's CSA WIP thread
ok good question, does anybody want me to continue with this ship, or drop it? if you want me to continue it, advice would be nice

I would finish this one, and leave the scimitar for later. We've got the TIE Bomber for the Imps, so the scimitar might be less necessary than this one.

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
ok thanks bobby, mind giving me some advice ono how I can make this fit in better with other star wars ships? as the base is done, now it just needs some reimaging improvement
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 06:29:15 pm by mandobardanjusik »

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
I'd actually like to see the Scimitar finished first, as it seems like its design is considerably closer to being FotG-ready than this one's.  I was talking to Brand, and the idea came up of using the Scimitar as a Tie-series precursor rather than a successor.  To me, it looks like a more primitive design with the bulky workhorse body, possibly something introduced just after the Clone Wars that had some of its features picked up on for the Tie line, while things like the shields and escape pod were dropped in favor of better speed and maneuverability in accordance with the evolving Imperial starfighter doctrine.  If we went down that road, the Scimitar could be used as a dedicated bomber for neutral factions or pirates during the part of the Galactic Civil War that FotG is focused on, giving those forces the type of heavy hitter that they lack in our current shipset, which would definitely be a good thing for mission designers.

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
ok, as I can do nothing on this without feedback anyways, and I dont object the idea as the simitar can be equiped with a hyperdrive. also I had an idea, instead of doing just a random independent, or anomynus smugglers group, why not do Talon Kardde's smugglers group as you could develop a bit more of a story, and have intelligence missions along with the normal smuggling runs, and defense missions. we could also make it the CSA's main enemy, though there will be a handful of battles agains the rebels and the empire, but not enough for a full campaign(just saying) and the smuggler's campaign is flexible

also please remember I am open to feedback on all the ships, please I can take them concurrently, and I am quick at fixes, just need your help especialy on the warpod.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 04:32:31 am by mandobardanjusik »

Offline CaptJosh

I thought Karrde didn't really emerge as a power among the smugglers until after Jabba bought it in RotJ.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
eh now that I think about it, for the most part you are right, perhaps Booster terrick, or maybe nm, I dont know

though I still have not gotten any advice on how to improve this ships design

...the idea came up of using the Scimitar as a Tie-series precursor rather than a successor...

I don't really feel comfortable doing that. Anyone playing our game will be like "hey, these guys didn't do their research", which will look bad for us. It also brings up the question of why did me mess with the established story. The age of the Scimitar doesn't need to be changed, the only reason we'd change it is because we have the model, and we want to rationalize why we have it.

KOTOR II did that sort of thing where they got rid of the basilisk, which was a very cool design, and replaced it with the star viper. They even managed to make the star viper look like crap. Made no sense, and it smacked of arrogance. Who were they to change that?

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
The EU is so bad about respecting dates when it comes to when ship X entered service that it would be inauthentic of us to try to make things completely consistent with previous sources :) 

Seriously though, while I'm not attached to using the Scimitar either way, I do think that a willingness to overwrite some or all of the EU is the most valuable asset a project like this can have.
KOTOR II did that sort of thing where they got rid of the basilisk, which was a very cool design, and replaced it with the star viper. They even managed to make the star viper look like crap. Made no sense, and it smacked of arrogance. Who were they to change that?
They are the makers of two of the best pieces of SW ever? :D

Bioware didn't make the KOTOR II.

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
just the engine. also Bob, got any advice on fixes or changes I can do on the warpod?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I'll bite.

I do like the profile given on the Wookieepedia page - It gives the fighter a good sense of length, and given that it's quite large for a SW ship, that's a good call. Keeping the wing leading edge straight, or mostly straight is a good move in my book. I also like the dogtooth-esque forward kink the root of the wing makes with the engine nacelles. Giving the wing greater sweep and less span would also be a good move in my mind.

I also might suggest increasing the height of spine aft the canopy, and reducing the abruptness of the angulariy changes in the canopy sweep. If you draw from outside inspiration, I mught suggest looking to the Y-Wing grund model prop as seen in ANH, where the anguar lines of the fighter are merged with smooth rounds and curves - changes in pitch are surprisingly gentle. Making the canopy screen merge inwards at its furthest extent will also make the fighter a little more sleek in appearance as well, thus adding contrast to the old-natured, "original trilogy"-style design the fighter has. ...Which is really pretty much what a lot of OT fighters were like!

Last, I' try to put in bit more curvature into the nosecone section - the profile on Wookieepedia is a nice reference for that. In general, keep mixing blocky, industrial forms with smooth shapes, and you'll have a winner in no time.

:)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

The biggest thing is still the neck of the ship. It feels like the ship is two separate things, with the neck gluing them together. I would suggest breaking it up. In my example I've extended the canopy a ways onto the neck, and put a step in it. It's up to you, but I'd put a break in it somewhere. The cockpit could use a small bit of rounding, just to make it feel higher poly. I also extended the wings so that they connect to the neck, which will help anchor them to the fuselage.

Here's an example:

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Hmm... I did in a sense propse deepening the fuselage, and that raster concept does it in a sense. Not what I was thinking originally, but very interesting.

If you do deepen the fuselage, I might suggest raising the wing structure, and giving it a minor anhedral, or downward sweep from the horizontal. This change will further augment the apparent size of the fighter, which for being what I precieve being an equivalent in SW to the Roc or Defiant in WWII RAF, this isn't a bad thing, if you opt to try it.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Deepening the fuselage would work as well, especially if it helps connect the turrets with the rest of the ship. It might mean that the wings will require a bit more integration, since the tall-ness of a deeper fuselage will be perpendicular to the wings.

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
ok well I am ready and willing to do some experimenting later

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
ok here are pics of the modified #2-warpod, I made the recomended changes, and I do believe it is looking better. (also you are proably right about it beinng similar to those RAF planes, though I would compare it to the Black widow as well). tell me what you think, and tell me as well it style changes are needed on the turrets( I did make them smaller)

ok on another note, I wanted to say (especialy to chief) that I figured out a CSA campaign. we make it more of an introductory campaign of perhaps 3-5 missions, to help familize the player with any new controls and changes in HUD, it would include an evasion mission, a Head to head fighter mission(6 Z-95 headhunters VS 4 IRD-A's with a timelimit before enemy reinforcements arrive, you fail if you exceed the time limit), and perhaps one small fleet engagment, a medium size group of independent fighters, and a frieghter or 2 vs at least 2 marauders with a complement of IRD-as, and #2-warpods. perhaps 2 evasion missions, one harder thant he other, first vs a maruder(CSA version has 8 turbolasers), the second, a Invincible class dreadnaught heavy cruiser (bigger than an ISD, but much much older). The name of this mini-campaign would be 'Han Solo in the coporate Sector (these missions are inspired by his adventures in the book: han solo at star's end, one of the earliest EU novels, and the first appearence of the Z-95 headhunter[Published 1979]) so you would be playing as han solo of course, and the evasion missions would be in the falcon. just an idea however, fell free to use it in any way for the mod. and it may be possible to have the H-H be playable on both sides of course, and there could also be an incounter in the rebel and empirial campaigns as well, like the imp raid after they sold some tech to the rebels

Looking good. The winglets could be reduced a bit, they're a bit overpowering, and the top of the canopy could be chamfered, just to make it feel more rounded and solid.

I can't wait to see this thing textured. I think the finished ship will look really good.

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
ok, lowered the wing tips, and did something along the lines of what I think bob was asking, I am not completely sure, and also, I did not have time for nice render

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 08:38:12 am by mandobardanjusik »