Author Topic: mando's CSA WIP thread  (Read 7775 times)

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
ok thought I wwould tell you guys, that unless there are further design comments, I am going to attempt to texture the #2-warpod tonight. I also wanted to ask, do you guys have any ideas on what details I should put on it, and do you guys have a color you want?

While I'll admit that Im not entirely sure what bobbtmann meant Im not sure the ribs that you are added are what he was talking about.  To me those look like small enough details that they should be to the normal map and use polygons on model.  Looks good though  :yes:

What I meant was just make the canopy more rounded. It's too angular. And winglets didn't need to be lowered, just shortened.

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
ok will fix that

Like this:

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
ok bob how is this doing?

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
ok here is a  pic of the hopefully completed #2-warpod mesh, I am going to be handing this over to my skinner today, while I begin the LOD's, also the #2-warpod is 20m in length, which makes it bigger than a y-wing
also, here is a pic of my IRD model, while I am making this one for an FOC mod, the IRD-A may be appearing in this mod (ref http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/IRD ), though, if it can be reimagined enough the normal IRD may appear as well ( or if brand gives approaval)

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
ok here is the beginning of the #2-warpod skin, after the challenge issued to me to do it by a member or two of the group. now mind you, this is just the approximate shade I am considering using, any advice, ideas, and comments would be welcome(and I will be finding a better texture for the engine intake, ideas anyone?) and yes I still need to add a metallic base texture, and lots of paneling on the fuselage
and remember this is just the BASE colors mainly, and that skinning is not my skill, but I will do my best

update: have decided to begin with paneling and detailing prior to colors, because I will be needing at least 3 base color schemes(independent, pirate, and CSA)

ok one more pic before I go off to school, I have finished most of the fuselage paneling, which means I have turret, wing and engine left, then some detailing
update2: further progress made, and I am wondering, what additional areas should I panel, and what else I am going to be needing to do as well regarding details? (oh and in this pic, the main texture is also being using as a bummap)

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 12:14:22 pm by mandobardanjusik »

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
ok, I just wanted to double check the scale myself, and explain some of the excessive paneling, so here is a comparative pic of Y-wing and #2-warpod length (used FOC y-wing model, so scale may not be perfect, but should be close

removed some asthetic paneling, here ar enew pics

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:39:56 pm by mandobardanjusik »

I'd still reduce the number of panels, and maybe make each panel a bit more distinct. Right now it feels like a stained glass window.

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
ok I still have a ways to go(hopefully a lot tomorrow), but I do have something to show, I am currently working on paneling and detailing that will be going on the normal map, though I have thrown a few other details on as well, that will only be a texture. also I do plan to make the head/cockpit area mainly texture, and mainly based off the y-wing due to similarity

comments and advice would be nice)

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
have made some more progress, thought I would give you a look. I will update as I go

added 2 more pics

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 11:02:35 am by mandobardanjusik »

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
ok, now I am giving out a call for help, preferably to perhaps brand-x or bobb, but technicly its open to everybody. now, while I am skinning it myself, I have no idea how to proceed, so I am wondering if some one (again preferably brand-x, or bobb, but technicly open to everybody) can sketch up some ideas for me of the detailing, paneling, and colors, preferably around what I have so far, the base colors for CSA (default colors, there will also be pirate and neutral paint jobs) are white and red, the cockpit frame color can stay constant, remember the texture detailing you put on the sketch will remain constant, though coloring may vary, you can help me with the proper shades. thanks, while I wait for a response(soon I hope) I will begin work on the scimitar skin while I wait

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
ok adding more detailing, will post more as I go

update, have more views and details, but really need to talk to brand or bobb, and get some further help

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:22:27 pm by mandobardanjusik »

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
LODs done, going to commence skinning shortly

okm figured I would put this skin up as well and get some feed back

« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:57:43 am by mandobardanjusik »

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
ok thought I would post a pic of the new UV template for appoval.

Offline newman

You still have lots of overlapping parts, and lots of parts that aren't planar (where the pixels would get stretched and look bad). Overlapping polygons on some cylindrical parts, etc. With overlapping parts, you'll get a mess when baking ambient occlusion, and without this the model will just look.. plain. Like a plastic toy.
Now, it's good to maximize the efficiency of the uv map, but you do need to give separate parts a bit of space between them, so there'd be at least 4-5 pixels of clearance between parts when you translate it to a texture. This is because textures use something called mip mapping, which is in essence LODing for textures. What essentially happens is, the dds format saves smaller versions of the map in itself to be used at larger distances. So a 1024x1024 texture will contain mips of sizes 512x512, 256x256, 128x128, and so on. Some applications, like the Compressonator, allow you to control how many mips will you have (if at all).
Bottom line, if the parts are too close to one another you'll get a bleed through effect when mips switch. You'll also get problems with beforementioned ao baking, possibly weird edges along UV seams, etc. So give the elements some clearance. Not too much, you'll get a feeling for this as you go along.
Remember to use the checker map to check for uv distortions and see which parts are problematic.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb