Author Topic: New ships  (Read 5969 times)

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Instead of bumping four separate threads to announce our latest committed ships...

Behold: the Marauder-class Corvette, Braha'tok-class Gunship, Rayter-class Transport (the "Unknown Freighter") and the Cloakshape Fighter. All bobbtmann's ships.

PS. Yes, I forgot to toggle FXAA on. Whatever.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 12:18:35 pm by zookeeper »

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful.

:) :yes:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
they all look awesome ingame, congrats to bobb, and zoo for getting em ingame. I sure hope I can mangae to finally finish one of my skins this week

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Nice. New stuff never hurts. I wish I had an FS-capable comp on me now to test these out.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline zookeeper

...and the Marauder looks even better once you actually use the glow, shine and normal maps. :rolleyes: Added two screenshots.

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
Ooooh, shiny! That looks pretty and stuff.
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Great job zookeeper!

Offline zookeeper

Also, bobbtmann made a very much improved version of the Carrack which we have in-game now. Also note the fancy targeting box view.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Looks great.
The targeting box looks like an actual radar image would, how did you get that effect?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
The new targeting box reminds me of TIE Fighter. Oh the good ol' times.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline zookeeper

Looks great.
The targeting box looks like an actual radar image would, how did you get that effect?

With a new feature I wrote, which allows one to draw the targeting box ships with a custom shader. :D

Offline Dain

Opened and closed S-foils too I note!

Will that actually serve a gameplay purpose at all?

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy

I believe the idea is to give a slight speed boost when closed.  They've also got some good ideas for limiting abuse of opening and closing in the middle of dogfights, which would just look wrong.

Offline zookeeper

I believe the idea is to give a slight speed boost when closed.  They've also got some good ideas for limiting abuse of opening and closing in the middle of dogfights, which would just look wrong.

Yeah. The current plan is to slightly boost speed and nerf manouverability when the wings are closed, and to switch shields off entirely for a couple of seconds when toggling.

Offline aRaven

Will the AI take advantage of this, too? I'm against this gameplay-affecting feature. Closing and opening S-Foils should be mission-scripted and only have a cosmetic effect.

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
Will the AI take advantage of this, too? I'm against this gameplay-affecting feature. Closing and opening S-Foils should be mission-scripted and only have a cosmetic effect.

Am I correct in thinking that this has been hashed out at length in times previous, and that it's a bit too late to try to restart the debate?

Also, Awesome spaceships are awesome.
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline zookeeper

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
AI should be able to open and close the S-foils when entering and exiting the battle, like in the movies.
Not much else though.
Player will be able to do this at will, and most likely some will find a way to exploit the system in combat.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
It would be extremely risky (and of no real benefit) to close your s-foils near a combat zone, as you would would lose your shields for more than long enough to be destroyed by any fighter, lose maneuverability, and lose the ability to fire your guns.  This is for quickly traveling from one area to another (just like you see in the movies), and the speed boost is probably going to be pretty small.