Author Topic: Weird CTD in the 11th mission of WoD main campaign (EMP)  (Read 3640 times)

Weird CTD in the 11th mission of WoD main campaign (EMP)
I copied my FSO mod collection to my brother in an usb stick and now some time later he contacted me and said that the 11th mission of Wings of Dawn (where you fly a crappy ship investigating an EMP strike) crashes to desktop (briefing works, but a CTD occurs as soon as the mission is started). Now, I have played through the WoD campaign myself without any problems, so this seemed very puzzling to me. I really tried to urge him to double-check every setting but it was of no use. He has succesfully played a number of other mods, with only Burning Heaven crashing in the first mission.

He gave a log file to me, so I attached it in this post.

The rig of my brother is:

AMD Phenom II X4 955
Radeon 5770 (with a new catalyst driver)
4 GB DDR 3 Memory
Windows 7 X64

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: Weird CTD in the 11th mission of WoD main campaign (EMP)
That's odd. First time I've heard of anyone crashing on that mission. The log does not actually show any kind of crash or error, it just stops after the shaders.
I wish I could help here but I've got nothing...
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Is Stranded installed as well?

I had the same problem but it was fixed when I removed the Stranded .vp
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

He told me that there isn't even a "final error" debug window when the game crashes (although there are some warnings in the tech room), it just crashes without a prompt. That might explain why the debug log file ends so abruptly.

-----
To Orph3us:

Ok, I'll tell him to remove Stranded.vp. However, I just tested that mission myself with Stranded enabled, and I didn't have any problems =/

Luckily, removing Stranded.vp resolved the problem.  :) It's hard to understand why it even would cause a conflict, but it did.

We also noticed that the cheat "skipmemymissionyo" cheat doesn't work properly. The destruction of legitimate process was anticipated, but for some reason it didn't allow to skip missions at all. Only the first mission was offered. Maybe the new pilot code has destroyed the functionality of this cheat?

Offline Flak

Usually lowering the graphics setting works for me

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Luckily, removing Stranded.vp resolved the problem.  :) It's hard to understand why it even would cause a conflict, but it did.
Strange! But good that you found a way around the issue.

We also noticed that the cheat "skipmemymissionyo" cheat doesn't work properly. The destruction of legitimate process was anticipated, but for some reason it didn't allow to skip missions at all. Only the first mission was offered. Maybe the new pilot code has destroyed the functionality of this cheat?
I have never actually even used that cheat before. (Whenever I cheat, its to blow something up :p )
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Sorry to bump a month old thread, but I had the same problem in M11, and if I couldn't remove stranded because the 3.7 pilot files didn't let me continue if I did. I completed the campaign just fine back on 3.6.14(in fact, switching back to the 3.6.14 RC4 still makes the mission run fine, but this isn't a real fix as 3.7 uses the new pilot files), so I thought maybe one of the new features is causing crashes. I fixed it by disabling specular and glow maps(The DEBUG also complained about .pof and ship table mismatches, not sure if this was intended). Then I started crashing on the Vega blockade cutscene(the one before M22), just before the Hertak flagship warped in. Tried switching to MediaVPs 2014 through the mod.ini, but it didn't really help. Not really having the patience to pin-point the problem this time I just disabled EVERYTHING and the cutscene stuttered through to completion.

I remember crashing on M11 on 3.6.18 too though, but I never bothered fixing it since I had completed the campaign already.

I also happen to have an ATI card(an R7970 to be specific), not sure if this problem is ATI-specific though.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Flak

Actually I did find the same problem back then, but lowering the graphics quality in the option usually helps.