Author Topic: Mass Effect: Andromeda  (Read 60401 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda
Boy they sure think they're clever naming the ship Tempest! I c wat u did thar

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter

I assume you mean something other than violating their established in-universe ship naming conventions.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Luis Dias

I didn't! ..... and now I'm dead curious about it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Shakespeare my dudes

Offline Luis Dias

Never studied it. I'm portuguese you know? But thanks, that'll be sufficient to clue me in ;).

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Shakespeare my dudes

But then who is Prospero? Who is going to be Miranda? Will we get a singing Asari?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Shakespeare my dudes

Okay but I don't actually see the connection with the Shakespeare play other than the name?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
A tiny boat of Milky Way refugees cast up on a foreign shore? That's all you need.

Offline 0rph3u5

Shakespeare my dudes

Okay but I don't actually see the connection with the Shakespeare play other than the name?

It is Shakespear's last play for one and one of the central conflicts is between in Prospero and Caliban (who had been the island before Prosepero and teaches him to survive there)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Fair enough. I've never read or seen The Tempest, they just kept making me read Romeo and Juliet.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I'd hate to imagine the implications if she were named Titus Andronicus
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Shepard McShipface

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Wrex McShipwrex
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Luis Dias

The wikipedia entry made me remember, lightly, the plot of The Forbidden Planet.

Offline Kszyhu

Wrex McShipwrex
Nah, that's the first Normandy. Completely wrexed.

Offline 0rph3u5

Well, it's "alien ruins template {insert number here}", one must wonder why of all the concepts they showed the chose this rather boring one (although it is kinda obvious since it a tech demo)

==================

Wow, these "Remnants"/flying drones or whatever they are, look awesome and really alien. I hope that devs will push their creativity harder to make really "alien" species instead of just taking a humanoid shape and giving them different amount of fingers, limbs, skin and face shape. I won't stand another Asari-like thing. TBH, that was the most annoying thing in ME lore for me.

Pity they showed only Ryder's and his blue companion's faces. But maybe they will hold them for N7 Day trailer.

Offline Luis Dias

Don't read the youtube comments. They will only contribute to your health yearly diagnosis report have more red numbers than usual.

I won't stand another Asari-like thing. TBH, that was the most annoying thing in ME lore for me.

I disagree, I found it endearing, a big homage to Star Trek TOS and those kinds of shows. The most of ME is rather corny, and thus to expect Mass Effect to be "SIRIUS" hard sci fi is fooling your expectations. Yes, it does *include* some hard sci fi concepts, and they do try to write them as best as they... can, but at the core it's like a campy star trek tv show where you can date cool green skin alien babes and drink some hardcore beverages with the badass klingonesque races of the galaxy, while you surf with your FTL starship to the latest pirate adventure on some forbidden planet. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

Don't read the youtube comments. They will only contribute to your health yearly diagnosis report have more red numbers than usual.

I won't stand another Asari-like thing. TBH, that was the most annoying thing in ME lore for me.

I disagree, I found it endearing, a big homage to Star Trek TOS and those kinds of shows. The most of ME is rather corny, and thus to expect Mass Effect to be "SIRIUS" hard sci fi is fooling your expectations. Yes, it does *include* some hard sci fi concepts, and they do try to write them as best as they... can, but at the core it's like a campy star trek tv show where you can date cool green skin alien babes and drink some hardcore beverages with the badass klingonesque races of the galaxy, while you surf with your FTL starship to the latest pirate adventure on some forbidden planet. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

I dropped reading any kind of comments on YT, news websides etc. some time ago. They often limit to insults, flaming and complaining. Reading this trash is just wasting empty space on your hard drive called brain :P.

As for humanoids... I get your point clearly. Besides "dating and drinking" there are also gameplay mechanics. Admit, it would rather look awkward to have a Hanar or Elcor squad mate :P. Putting some humanism into aliens also makes the interaction between characters easier (Sheploo- Garrus bros). But hey, we're going to another galaxy. And for example, finding another species which will REALLY resemble humans with it's looks would be rather weird. I'm sure however that we will see some ship and squad mates native to the Andromeda galaxy so it may be impossible to go around the things we mentioned above  :) Doesn't change the fact that I would like to see some "exotic" aliens to play more significant role.