Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 617170 times)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Re: What are you playing right now?
I've been trying to make Starlancer (yes, I finally got a copy off eBay for basically nothing) work but unfortunately it's either having glitchy graphics or use DGvoodoo2 in Software mode because the game uses a few features that have been since dropped and using the wrapper in hardware mode results in glitchy menu interface and texture-less graphics.
Which is weird, I remember the demo working just fine, but probably it was just me not noticing how weird-looking the nebulas were on a modern card.
I also had to roll back from the "optional" drivers I had installed because AMD had messed up the GPU scaling in the beta drivers so the game looked squished no matter what I did.
And of course I had to use a crack because the cd protection used doesn't work on Windows 7.
Now, if only the choice wasn't  between a horrible frame rate and graphical glitches of varying entity...
Strangely enough I don't seem to have issues with the multicore CPU for now.

EDIT

In the end I managed to make it work by enabling "fast memory access" in DGvoodoo2, which is supposed to be one of the "not really recommended" options but it worked nonetheless only now I have to edit the .ini otherwise the game is locked at 640x480, I was going to that anyway to unlock the 1280x1024 resolution but it's still rather odd.
I tried the instant action and I was able to play without glitches or crashes, to be on the safe side I made a Radeon profile that disabled every modern thingamabob and just used DGvoodoo2 to force 8x anti aliasing. Now I only have to properly finish the joystick profile, I have a partial one made some time ago but it includes only the bare minimum to play the demo mission.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 04:38:49 am by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Fired up DS9: The Fallen the other day, because it's been too long and I wanted to play one of the few good Star Trek games. It's a 3rd person shooter based on the unreal engine, with really ****ing cool maps and surprisingly horror-esque music cues and atmosphere.

When I fired this game up for the first time I must've been 8-10 years old. The very first alien the player encounters (asides from the drones) has shields that are impenetrable unless first scanned by the tricorder and adjustments made on the hand phaser. Which I never figured out until my teenage years.

And that alien was ****ing terrifying. It has a red laser that points straight at you then it roars and charges. I used to have nightmares about them.

The very first mission has you wandering around a Bajoran science vessel and it's such a cool map. The weapons are really great too - I personally love the hand phaser just by itself.

Offline Fusion

Been playing some SE, dogfighting in a variety of fighters against some friends. Even made a replica of the old 158th CCF Volkov.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Fired up DS9: The Fallen the other day, because it's been too long and I wanted to play one of the few good Star Trek games. It's a 3rd person shooter based on the unreal engine, with really ****ing cool maps and surprisingly horror-esque music cues and atmosphere.

I remember that ... I also remember that it's three campaigns were are widely different in tone and with nice character specific mechanics (both also difficulty curves) ... too bad that like most good Trek games (Klingon Academy, Starfleet Command 2, the Armada-series) its on none of the digital storefronts...

I gave the demo for Valkyria Chronicles 4 on PS4 a go... its just three missions not counting skirmish maps (one tutorial and first two story missions) but it felt longer, mostly because the missions are multi-stage.
The result fills me with enthusiasm for the release next month.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Man, I used to have Starfleet Command 2 somewhere, now I wanna go find it !

In other news, I gave up trying to get Arcanum to work. The interface is fine, but the game world is all black, none of the solutions listed on the forums or the various things I tried worked. Too bad, I really wanted to try my stealthy half-ogre technologist build...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I fell into a Gran Turismo Sport-shaped hole

If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Honestly thought that was a photo before I focused on it.  Damn that's pretty.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Spear of Destiny (PC)
I finished for the first time, the difficulty gets a bit ridiculous at times, but it's still good fun.
The problems start with the expansions, for some reason the graphics have been thoroughly reskinned and often not very well, there are also different sounds and voice samples (oddly the same music though), and the level design becomes stupidly convoluted and often uses obligatory secret passages that forced me to look at level maps for the first time because I was fed up with hugging every wall in an attempt to find the pushable wall that hid the key to the level exit.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Unavowed (PC)
Boy, when Gilbert said he was taking a page from Bioware RPGs he wasn't kidding.
I love what he's been doing with it thus far.
And yes, I bought this at day one (from GOG) which is something I usually don't do.

I tried Starlancer but at the moment I'm not in the mood to play it properly, mostly because it gives a vibe of "Chris Roberts thought Starship Troopers was cool but didn't get it was satire" at least at first impact, but also because of the inordinate amount of flavour text to assimilate in-game.

But I still wanted a spacesim so I dived back into Tie Fighter (PC DOS CD-rom) with a new save.
I had to revise the HOTAS profile for menu navigation and several commands that were different from XvT (whose profile I used as a basis for the TF one). It is still supergood and by now I can almost play it in my sleep.
Well, almost, the first gunboat mission ended with me hightailing into hyperspace with busted radar gauges after getting the secondary objectives by the skin of my teeth followed by five or six x-wings.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I'm making stuff for VR chat and having fun

Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
For fun I launched a WoD-tribute game of Stellaris, using the information from the last itteration of the Forum Game:

I really don't know why the game clustered me (playing the Sol Union) and the three AIs so close together, despite having a 600 stars galaxy to work with - but hey, war against the UGC is going to inevitable :D
('cause I didn't have enough to create profiles for alien factions, its just the human factions)

EDIT: 35 years later:
Hidden Text: Show

Completed the Precursor Event Chain and ...  :lol: ... a system with a ringworld right next to Sol (in keeping with WoD tribute that will be "Silva")
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 05:18:27 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

I just finished TechnoBabylon which was sitting in my Steam library for a while. It's a great cyberpunk adventure game, the puzzles make sense and the characters and world are excellent.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I finished Prey. Fantastic game overall, and feels like a real successor to System Shock much more than Bioshock ever did. I like how all the characters help you in some ways but have their own motivations and can never be entirely trusted (although I was expecting a Shodan moment with January that never happened). The final twist in the story was great and is foreshadowed by the beginning of the game. The game lets you approach situations in many different ways and the levels feel quite spread out and nonlinear. I did feel that the difficulty starts off too hard and becomes too easy later, basically right at the point when you are able to craft neuromods. I was dying constantly early on, so I started to really optimize my resources, recycling everything I could find and hoarding ammo and exotic Typhon parts, and became unstoppable as the game progressed. Like System Shock 2, health is very common but ammo is relatively rare until you can start crafting it. Psychoshock together with a fully upgraded shotgun annihilates anything you encounter, even the Nightmares.

I just finished TechnoBabylon which was sitting in my Steam library for a while. It's a great cyberpunk adventure game, the puzzles make sense and the characters and world are excellent.

I played this a while ago. It's probably the best of the Wadjet Eye adventures and the story is fairly long and complex.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Children of a Dead Earth is an interesting game to say the least:

My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That looks ****in awesome. Can you put a sentence of caption with each one to make them tantalizingly narrative?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
That game?

I've been  noticing that game... here's some manly footage of it.

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
That looks ****in awesome. Can you put a sentence of caption with each one to make them tantalizingly narrative?

Story or just what I was doing in each one?  I guess It's kinda the same thing in a way so I'll just say what happened:

This was me in sandbox mode, testing out a modified carrier in Phobos (or Demos?) orbit, it has 10 Point-Defense Beam Drones and 100 nukes in it's payload bay, as well as 4 BlastFireTM Drones, with an additional 15 nukes per drone!  As long as this ship is here, Mars is in mortal danger WELL PROTECTED.

Also sandbox mode, best way to test a new ships armor? Throw a standard-issue Fleet carrier's entire drone complement at it and see how long it lasts.

Defense Station I made, see those white streaks? Not lasers- but Railguns firing white-hot tungsten! Those green things are the real lasers.

I tried to destroy it with a fleet carrier (biggest default ship) but the station tore it to bits from 50km away. not bad.  buuuut- when I did it a 2nd time, using all the carrier's drones (see 2 & 4) whilst keeping my fleet carrier on the other side of Miranda;
the SDI station was unable to shutdown enough drones to stop what I can only describe as:
"The final level of bullet hell- Dakka hurricane- Ocean of hot lead- Eternal BRRRRRTTTT and bane of kessler" that hit it.

Same as 2 but from a different camera angle and drone type.   Looks like something outta Dr.Strangelove.  :drevil:

This one actually has a really cool story behind it:

So basically this should have been an easy skirmish over Jupiter, A large multipurpose Gunship, (middle top) an Advanced Cutter with high point-defense, (left) and a small but tough raider (bottom), VS. one puny patrol ship, and a single blitz-silo with lots of missiles, but it's only a danger if you don't have lasers, PD guns, or decoy flares.

Most days, this would be an easy fight, but not that day, The blitz silo spat out its first nuclear volley and the Enemy patrol ship fired all 4 of its mid size railguns at my ships from far out of its accurately range- what a waste of ammo and power to fire so early, there is no way they could ever hit the broad side of a bar- ADVANCED CUTTER HAS LOST POWER.

. . . .
 .  .  .  .  .  .  .

Hitting a ships reactor in this game is a tall order at point-blank range, the odds of just hitting a ship at all outside of accuracy range is unfavorable to say the least. The game's AI just landed a one in a million shot, and I haven't even touched the patrol ship yet.
Jaded, I command the Gunship to fire everything- with half of my effective PD gone this is starting to look less one-sided.

The enemy blitz silo continues shooting missiles at my gunship, and my little raider makes a beeline toward the enemy patrol ship, now my big gunship is firing all its got- flak missiles, railguns, and coilguns at the patrol ship and blitz silo, and lasers, 60m cannons and 100MW flares at the blitz silo's missiles.

The blitz silo stagger's its launches by default, thus, there is a constant stream of mini nuclear missiles coming at my gunship with no breaks in between, with the cutter gone, the gunship is on it's own- Not a problem, it still can protect itself, so long as it keeps moving and firing it's lasers and flares, Meanwhile; the still-distant patrol ship dodges all my shots and is still out of range. The patrol ship lands a hit on two of my gunship's heat sinks/radiators (the big red glowing things on the top middle ship in the picture) This is pretty normal, these things almost always get hit and every ship has spares, Non-issue for standard operation. Unless your ship is firing all of its engines and weapons at the same time- and. . . and. . .

. . . . . .

That's Exactly what my Gunship has been doing, it only takes a few seconds to overheat, the onboard safeties shutdown one of its 2 reactors, and the lasers can no longer fire continuously. Worse, the remaining radiators are running hotter then my 100MW flares, you see; if I had my Advanced Cutter, I could launch 300MW flares and be fine. . . But my cutter is DEAD so now the hostile nukes can no longer be fooled.

The blitz silo has no guns on it, so my raider ship (with help from the gunship's coilgun and the flak missiles it launched earlier) takes it out. Good. No new nukes, but the 30 or so missiles already in-flight are still an issue, even with just a half-power gunship and a raider I still have some PD left, 12 or so warheads are stopped, but one of them gets close enough and: BANG! it fries off the gunship's outermost armor layer and EMPs its non-insulated systems, then a seconded detonation: Then a third: BANG! BANG!  Direct hits on the engine! The Gunship is sent into an ultra-high G spin, turning its crew into paste. The glowing-spinning hulk of metal is pounded one-by-one by the remaining warheads, until there is nothing left to destroy, and the last two missiles sail past into the void.

Now it's just my Raider VS. a Patrol ship, both ships are more or less in the same weight class so this could be anyone's fight, the Raider has all of it's armor in the front, so it charges in to close range, and keeps its nose forward at all costs. After a short light gun firefight, my Raider just manages to cut clean though the enemy's engine housing- and into the ship's internals with it's 60mm cannons, my raider is the last surviving ship, but its main fuel tank was ruptured, and (due to my gun-ho attitude when setting the original intercept orbit) the fuel-less Raider slowly plunges into Jupiter with the derelicts. . .

There would be no one to tell of this 2:00 minute-long engagement. . . . .

TL;DR: Easy mission > bad luck > Everyone lost.

Battuta, if you're reading this, 1: does my writing/grammar look okay in the last one? I'm trying to improve. 
2: You (and everyone else who doesn't mind learning orbital mechanics) should get this game.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 08:37:44 am by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That was very well written! I gotta try this out.

Me at 1:00 pm: "Rebel Galaxy, huh? That's a game I have, let's give it a try..."

Me at 9:00 pm: *visiting every station in the system trying to find a place to unload a hold full of data-cubes that I bought on sale during a tech boom*

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
TIE Fighter (PC)
So, I finally finished my 4th run in this game (2nd using a difficulty above easy, first with my current control setup).
The last stretch of the game is more difficult than I remember from last time, and this even considering I always go for the secondary objectives, forcing me to give up and lower the difficulty to easy twice.
Of course I did remember some missions being hairpulling regardless (disable three armed to the teeth Muurian transports plus optionl escort shuttle while under fire from an entire squadron of X-wings in an assault gunboat? Easy peasy!) but some missions were a bit more difficult than I remember, probably because last time I played during Winter and I tend to have a lighter workload (and more regular sleeping hours) than during Summer.
On the other end I think I might have overdone it with the bonus objectives in some missions and have accumulated a higher score than my last run already at the start of Battle 13 Mission 1, that is about seven missions before the end.
There were also quite a lot more of AI and script glitches, for example to get a secondary objective I had to disarm an Interdictor that was on my side because it kept shooting at a transport I needed captured.
The ending briefing came off as rather darkly humorous, considering its triumphant tones and the fact that it’s supposed to happen literally on the eve of the (explicitly nominated) Battle of Endor.

I tried to play The Cat Lady on my laptop but for some reason it slows down to a crawl every couple of minuted no matter which settings I try so I dropped it almost immediately and searching through my steam library for an alternative I’ve found Escape from Rosecliff Island which is a nice diversion but I’m not sure how it ended up in my Steam library.

I also after a month I got a bit further in Torment: Tides of Numenera (PC) and solved my first crisis by surrendering and have alienated one of the two NPCs that found me after falling from the sky.

I also installed the Assassin’s Creed games I bought recently from Steam to at least activate the frigging DLCs since you need to have them installed to do so.