Author Topic: A few questions from a newb  (Read 2042 times)

A few questions from a newb
I can't search the forum and the sticky treads didn't seem to give me the answer I was looking for so...

1. How do you install the individual Hi-Res ship files? I downloaded the 3.6.8 model_vp from the sticky (and replaced the 3.6.7 model_vp build) and a few (Fenris/Aeolis/others) of the models returned some very strange errors. Maybe installing those models individually will yield better results .zip/.rar files from various topics in these boards).

2. How do you report errors (as in the error screens?). I'd love to give feedback, but if the process is long and complicated, I'll be man enough to admit I'm a lazy bastard who won't go out of his way to return bug reports :P

3. Is there some rhyme or reason to the Beam slow down thing? I just built a new computer (A64 3500+ venice, X800 vanilla [5.12 Cats], 1GB 3200 DC ram...) and the game runs great until beam weapons let fly, when drops the framerate from 60 to 30 (giving a really bad stuttering effect). With 9100/4000 '03/'05 3dmarks, you'd think this could handle SCP beams...

4. Since I'm running 5.12 Catalyst drivers, I read that some stuff won't work. What are these features?

-Thanks in advance for the help, and a hooker topped in whipped cream for all the awesome people that make Freespace 2 look as good as it plays.

[Edit: Also, is there any way to run the game in a higher res than 1024x768? A lot of the screenshots are running in 1280x1024, and look absolutely gorgeous]

« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 08:38:55 pm by GodisanAtheist »

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Re: A few questions from a newb
1 - they are in various states of flux. Should be fixed by final release
2 - either via mantis (see the Source Code Project) or in the mediaVP thread if it's a mediavp problem
3 - Yeah, the new beam glows are animated so they take up massive amounts of memory.
-C

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: A few questions from a newb
With regards to the first one, If you don't know what you're doing adding the ships individually can be a pretty big task and you'll most likely end up with partially invisible ships due to missing textures. That's what happened to WMCoolmon and he's pretty experienced at doing this sort of thing so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened to you.

You could always get the 3.6.7 VPs for now. They're reasonably complete.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]