Author Topic: Caprica 1x03 "Reins of a Waterfall" [Spoilers]  (Read 7965 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Caprica 1x03 "Reins of a Waterfall" [Spoilers]
Discussions on impulsive Moms, Robots and of course those awesome Fedoras Go!
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Re: Caprica 1x03 "Reins of a Waterfall" [Spoilers]
Luciana Carro. Kinda surprised me. I guess she's in the show just because she's a good actress though, and not for any connection to Kat. Looks like the Adama family is going into a tailspin though; little Billy is skipping school and using his gangster uncle as a role model? And now Joseph is calling in a hit? It's actually cool seeing the Adamas being bad asses like that; in BSG, they were more or less heroes. Now we see that the family doesn't have such an illustrious background.

Sister Clarice is still utterly confusing and enigmatic to me. Now we've got some "man behind the curtain" that's apparently giving orders...and that has a different idea of the direction of STO than the good Sister does. Knowing RDM and company, I'm expecting many more questions before we start getting answers, lol.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I am rather surprised at how ruthless Joesph is becoming.  Considering how he seemed to want out as the interface between Ha'la'tha's bribes and the Caprican Justice system in the pilot, he's certainly not being proactive about it now.  It will be interesting how far down the rabbit hole of revenge he gets before he realizes he's at the precipice.  From the little bit from we got from Adama in HoG I tend to think Joseph stepped back from going over the edge.  Plus you don't need a good lighter to win cases if they're all predetermined by mafia money.  In addition the "Bronx Tale" angle with little Husker is going to work better if there is a juxtaposition between Joe and Sam.  (As a side note I was actually disappointed by the hip hop style music when William went to Sam's.  Ha'la'tha seems to have more of a old style mafia/yakuza slant to it then a street gang and some type of traditional Tauron music would have been a better fit in my opinion)    I also thought how the police are trying to pin the blame on the Graystones and escape responsibility was a nice touch.  I tend to find myself enjoying a lot of the societal fluff they are building into the show, even more so then some of the main plot points.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

All the guys in the Ha'la'tha back room seemed to be younger, so perhaps the hip hop music is a reflection of that. I'd even propose that one of the underlying themes of the show is cultural identity, and that even crime syndicates can lose sight of where they came from.

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
Seeing Duck and Kat was a bit of a surprise, good to see them getting work though. I was also surprised at how subtly they slipped in that Sam is gay, like it was just another normal part of life.

Joseph sure is getting badass, and I do hope they kill of that whiney mrs greystone :P
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Seeing Duck and Kat was a bit of a surprise, good to see them getting work though. I was also surprised at how subtly they slipped in that Sam is gay, like it was just another normal part of life.

Joseph sure is getting badass, and I do hope they kill of that whiney mrs greystone :P

Christian Tessier (Duck) was not in Caprica. Luciana Carro (Kat) is the only BSG cast member in Caprica.

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
    • Fraktured Reality
Sure as hell looks like him. Sure it's not just an uncredited role?
Or something.
- Fraktured Reality

Well, he's not credited in IMDB at least. I'm not even sure where you thought you saw him, I don't remember seeing anyone that looked like him. Luciana I recognized immediately though, lol.

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
    • Fraktured Reality
the guy that says 'I was hungry 20 minutes ago' to willie.
Or something.
- Fraktured Reality

Offline newman

Still can't get over that intro. It's the tackiest, most god awful thing I've ever seen, with Joseph dropping to his knees with an anguished face in front of a tombstone and Lacie's hair "flying" in the wind (interior shot to boot) being the sleaziest of the lot. Talking about sleaze that sister Clarice character has sufficient quantities of it to make me uncomfortable even watching any scene featuring her. It's probably by design but that has to be the most unlikable character ever. Makes you long for Galactica's airlocks to shoot her out of.
Luckily the show isn't quite as bad as the intro.. yet. Nowhere near BSG but that was expected anyway. One thing that bothers me is how easily they're using contemporary items, it sort of breaks the immersion for me. We're talking about a society that predates this one by over 100,000 years (I forget the exact number but it was a lot higher). People on Caprica driving Jaguars seems like a bit too much of a coincidence to me. They could have at least gotten rid of the Jaguar statuette on the hood. I'm also pretty sure that the society that has FTL space travel wouldn't still be using VHS tapes.
They say details make things great. I really think they should be more careful with these things.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 06:08:12 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Morwen

Just can't help thinking Attia from Rome when Sister Clarice is around. Kat is in Caprica? When? :S

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Can we go find the people who said they wouldn't like Caprica because it would be a soap opera and beat the crap out of them now? :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
    • Fraktured Reality
yes.
Or something.
- Fraktured Reality

Offline odo2063

maybe they just wanted tell us, by the videotape, that the police is not so good equipt as they should be. they even had no computers in their office and greystone got a one-wheeled buttler...maybe they offer us a universe full of differences...

Offline newman

maybe they just wanted tell us, by the videotape, that the police is not so good equipt as they should be. they even had no computers in their office and greystone got a one-wheeled buttler...maybe they offer us a universe full of differences...

Or maybe they're too lazy and cheap so they're using existing stuff :P
We are talking about a society that is technologically centuries ahead of our own. That's like saying that a badly equipped police force today would be using horse carriages. They're just pushing the "all this has happened before and will happen again" thing too far. The odds of a society being brought back to the stone age, merging with a primitive humanoid culture, slowly evolving back up and then inventing things that look exactly the same as they did 150000 years ago are astronomical. Yea the colonials would have had some magnetic storage media and drive around in internal combustion engine cars at some point of their development. But VHS and Jaguars? Hell no. Even if we put aside the fact that a society that is centuries ahead of us and has FTL space travel still using magnetic tapes is utterly ridiculous, those things shouldn't just be reused existing items. It's supposed to be another planet and another culture. They're not offering us a universe of differences, rather a universe of been there, done that - "hey I had that item from a sci fi show as a kid before it became obsolete" :P
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 10:01:03 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
There seems to be an assumption that technology advances at a uniform rate

that a species with star ships should have advanced medical technology
or that a species with FTL would have something better than magnetic tape?
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Or maybe they're too lazy and cheap so they're using existing stuff :P
We are talking about a society that is technologically centuries ahead of our own. That's like saying that a badly equipped police force today would be using horse carriages. They're just pushing the "all this has happened before and will happen again" thing too far. The odds of a society being brought back to the stone age, merging with a primitive humanoid culture, slowly evolving back up and then inventing things that look exactly the same as they did 150000 years ago are astronomical. Yea the colonials would have had some magnetic storage media and drive around in internal combustion engine cars at some point of their development. But VHS and Jaguars? Hell no. Even if we put aside the fact that a society that is centuries ahead of us and has FTL space travel still using magnetic tapes is utterly ridiculous, those things shouldn't just be reused existing items. It's supposed to be another planet and another culture. They're not offering us a universe of differences, rather a universe of been there, done that - "hey I had that item from a sci fi show as a kid before it became obsolete" :P

The usage of items we can associate with is nothing new in the BSG universe. They did that in the original show; didn't it bother you to see Kara driving around in a HMMWV, and marines using P90's and G36K's? Yes, it is cheaper to use unmodified props like that. It does also feed into the notion of "all this has happened before", which was really a central theme of BSG, and in extent Caprica as well. To say that it's an unacceptable notion purely because of the probability that it would happen is to be more cynical than this show allows. It's science fiction, with equal parts science and fiction; sometimes you need to have suspension of disbelief, or at least an acceptance of a premise for the sake of the story. So, my advice would be to try not to get so hung up on the props, because that's not what this show is about. It's about story and people and choices, not the cars they drive or the brand of shaving cream they use.

As an aside, I wouldn't say that the technology we see in Caprica is so much more advanced than ours. Are we close to FTL? No, not really. But other technology, such as any window in a house serving as a video screen, or paper that can display computer images...these things aren't so far away. In the podcast for the previous episode, David Eick even says that in many ways they were trying to create a futuristic society that wasn't actually that far removed, and that relied on technologies that our own science is on the cusp of making a reality.

Offline Fish

• Nugget
We still use old, outdated technologies all the time - magnetic tape is one of the most cost-effective storage techniques for large amounts of data. We use incandescent lightbulbs, and vinyl records for music in some cases. Most power stations (even nuclear) are essentially steam-driven. With examples like this, I think it's plausible that a mix of 'old' and 'new' technologies could coexist in a society like that on Caprica.

I think it's a good juxtaposition with how the Colonies were portrayed on BSG. We were told Galactica was 'old-school' but weren't really shown what that was in comparison to, apart from some characteristics about Pegasus and the Viper Mk VII.

Fleshing out the civilian lifestyle is also interesting. The hedonism on Caprica certainly makes comments by Head Six about sins, etc seem less like propaganda.
<><

Offline newman

I might even accept magnetic storage media as being so reliable it was kept around for security purposes, but it would have been nice if it wasn't identical to VHS in every way. Could have at least chamfered some edges away. And yes, Kara driving around in a Humvee bothered me as well, though not as much (will get to that later). Like I said I can see them using this sort of technology level, but things that look identical break the immersion for me. A magnetic tape that looks differently but is still obviously a magnetic tape or a car that looks almost like one of "ours" but can't exactly place it would still work withing the confines of "all this has happened before and will happen again". There is such a thing as being too literal.
And simply saying that a society can move ahead faster in some areas of technology and slower in others is true but only works to some degree to explain this away. Science areas aren't completely isolated from each other; a breakthrough in some area will likely have some effect on another. History has also shown that there is no gradual and constant advance of science - it will go ahead slower in some areas and faster in others until a big breakthrough is made, after which things skyrocket in all areas and tend to make up for the differences. So you can't exactly go be all advanced in medicine and forget about computers because things tend to be related, and at some point one needs the other to move forward.
That said, seems to me we're centuries away from any sort of proper sublight space travel. Yes we can launch stuff in orbit and send probes further but we can't exactly hop on a passenger liner and go swing around saturn, can we? Not even mentioning FTL because right now we're not even sure if we'll ever be able to do anything like that.
Basically what I'm saying is that a society that has all that and uses VHS seems disproportionate to me. Yes, if you really want to like the show you'll find a way to make yourself think it's all perfectly believable - there's nothing stronger in this world then a fan made reality bubble - but I'm still saying they should probably look out for these things more. At least redesign the magnetic storage media and get rid of the Jaguar statuette from the hood so things aren't 100% identical. This bothered me less in BSG because it wasn't in the spotlight as much - you'd shortly see an existing car, truck or weapon but then you'd be back to battlestars, Vipers, FTL and such. But in Caprica they're jamming a lot of that stuff in our faces and we've only seen 3 episodes so far. I wouldn't even say anything it was a low budget thing, but otherwise Caprica looks pretty damn great, making these cheapo excursions to 1980s seem all the less believable to me.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 03:36:25 am by newman »

Offline Snagger

There are just too many props that are instantly recognisable as real items, G90 and SA80 rifles are bad enough, but Hummers, Jags, Citroen DS and Smart Cars are just crass props (though the Jag and DS are beautiful cars in the real world).  If you're going to use real items and not custom props, they need to eb something rare enough not to be recognised as from our society.

While the technologies developped by any soiety will eventually coincide, the chances of exact design being matched is inconcievably low.  I know they have a budget to watch, but they are losing credibility.

The storyline is OK so far (we are an episode behind in the UK) and the Cylon prototype design and effects are great.  I don't like the Mrs Greystone character either, but maybe we're not meant to, just as we were meant to dislike Tigh during BSG's first season.  The titile sequence is awful, though - it almost seems like they copied Eureka's, which at least had the benefit of being tongue-in-cheek for a semi-comedy light fantasy programme.