Draconis Combine
1 (8.3%)
The Blessed Order (ComStar)
4 (33.3%)
The C-bill (Mercenary)
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: December 13, 2016, 02:41:10 pm

Author Topic: BattleTech Campaign - Maintaining the Holy Shroud  (Read 11694 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: Let's Play - Narrative BattleTech (Accepting/Searching for Players)
(Currently waiting for Phantom Hoover and IronBeer to pick deployment hexes.

An explanation for the new title: Operation: HOLY SHROUD is the name ComStar gave to the process of deliberately suppressing advanced technology, and killing or 'disappearing' anyone who could change that.)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: BattleTech Campaign - Maintaining the Holy Shroud
Looking at the mission brief I assume we are securing an SLDF weapons cache?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Basically yes.

aaaaaah **** put me next to aesaar, he probably knows what he's doing
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Aesaar

lol

I put myself next to The E for that reason.

(Änd not because he has a shiny SLDF-era Marauder).

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Go ahead and put me near-ish to The E as well. Also check your PMs.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Static crackles over the secure comms channel.  “Shidachi, E, we read you on approach to final pre-contact waypoint.  Target comms traffic has maintained background levels.  They have no idea you're there.  Engagement estimated in thirty seconds.  Weapons free, say again, weapons free.  You are good for guns, all targets valid.  Blake's blessings go with you.”

Three hundred meters later, Shidachi's HUD chimed with the indicator they'd reached the nav point.  Beyond this, the likelihood of detection rose exponentially.  Contact was imminent.  Acolyte Murphy's voice broke over the comms.  “Making way to nav Beta.  MagScan calibrated north northeast, eyes open.  No contact on scopes yet.”

The rest of the strike force started to spread out, moving in the directions they'd established in their briefing meeting.

[Awaiting input.  Please PM your moves, and though you may plan your moves with each other (and I have no way of enforcing it even if I said not to), I have only provided the NPCs' moves so you can avoid running into them, and for some idea of scale.  Please remember to send me your moves in such a way that I can understand what direction and how far you're going.  As a reminder, light woods cost an additional point to enter, heavy woods cost an additional two points to enter, and going up or down a level is one extra point per level changed.  You can see that in the Locust's move below.  Ideal syntax for sending me moves is to start with either W, R, or J depending on whether your 'Mech will be walking (blue numbers below), running (yellow), or jumping; then say the number of hexes you plan to enter (hexes may only be entered in front of you or behind you, for any of the 'Mechs you're all using.  You can't go backward if you're running), or the number of hex facings you intend to turn.  I'll provide examples under the pictures below.  Any questions, just ask.  Alternately, if the idea of planning your move out in a specific and odd syntax bugs you, just tell me where you want to go and I'll plot a course there, just don't complain if it isn't exactly how you wanted to move.]

[RF10]

[RF4L1F1]

[RF8]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
How are we supposed to plan out our movements without knowing what speed all of our 'Mechs are?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 12:27:15 am by AdmiralRalwood »
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Silly me, I forgot you guys don't know all of that.  All movements are in the form of Walk/Run, with jump added if applicable after another slash.

Shadow Hawk (StarSlayer): 5/8/3
Highlander (Phantom Hoover): 3/5/3
Galahad (Aesaar): 3/5
Marauder (The E): 4/6
Catapult (AdmiralRalwood): 4/6/4
Awesome (Lepanto): 3/5
Centurion (-Joshua-): 4/6
Griffin (IronBeer): 5/8/5
Firestarter (JSRNerdo): 6/9/6
Locust (NPC): 8/12
Firefly (NPC): 5/8/4
Wolverine (NPC): 5/8/5

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
After looking at the stats jump jets actually are the least efficient at covering ground (I guess these aren't like in Gundam :P), I assume they are instead useful for moving in the vertical.  Is there some way to tell the topography on the map to know when they give a tactical advantage?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
(Each hex has a level associated with it, indicating height.  They help establish LOS, but there's no major advantage for holding the high ground, except denying partial cover to your targets.  It's not a huge deal, but it can tip a key battle.  Jump jets that match walking speed will usually be able to match the running speed for defensive movement modifiers, and jump jets are very, very good at crossing things like rivers and cities, where there are inherent risks associated with ground movement.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
They're super useful for moving in any restricted terrain, including forests (in addition to what Scotty mentioned).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
"Breaking off to head to overwatch position Alpha 1. Scopes are clear, passive sensors cranked to max sensitivity."
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
(Currently waiting on: Lepanto, JSRNerdo, IronBeer, Phantom Hoover to send me moves.)

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
"Alright, let's go. Keep cover behind those woods if you can, they'll have a hard time spotting you through 'em."
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
"Ferris, advancing. I'll try to keep my head down until things get exciting."
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
(All moves received; update will be tomorrow after I get home from work.)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Only seconds after the waypoint was reached, the scopes light up with positively identified targetes.  Acolyte Murphy's voice rings over the comms first.  “Contact!  Positive ID on four tanks.  Also reading  scattered infantry in dug-in positions.”

Her voice wasn't alone for long.  Nightfall was next to report.  “Scopes show one BattleMech, a Panther 250 meters west of the objective.”

Murphy updated the situation moments later.  “Make that two.  Valkyrie within a hundred of suspected opening.  Vehicles are on the move, looks like a convoy, roughly 500 meters west of objective alpha.  Tally two platoons infantry.”

Enemy forces in sight

Friendly forces, post moves.  Not all moves completed successfully, due to multiple 'Mechs attempting to enter the same hex (2641 had no fewer than three try to end up there).

(I will PM each of you with your available targets.  If you don't receive a PM in the next ~hour~ or so, there are no available targets for you. All PMs have been sent.)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 03:09:37 pm by Scotty »

"Our overwatch position will put us directly in contact!" Viper observed. "Frontal assault, lead?"