Author Topic: Screenshots  (Read 2728 times)

Dear folks,

in the German ubuntuusers.de forum we show the installation instructions for Freespace2, The Babylon Project and Diaspora.

For the wiki articles we'd like to have some nice new screen-shots. Here are the questions:

1) How can I take screen-shots during the running game and where the heck are they saved? Using the "Print"-key does not work (despite lags while pressing the button). Additionally, the program "shutter" does not work either because I can not select the game in window mode and handle shutter simultaneously.

2) Alternatively, does someone have some awesome screen-shots available free for publishing or pictures made available officially?

http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Spiele/Freespace_2

http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Spiele/The_Babylon_Project

http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Spiele/Diaspora

Thank you for your efforts.

Unfortunately the wiki has no explicitly-stated licence that I can find, so you probably can't use that.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
The "PrtScn"/Print Screen key should work if you're running fullscreen with the screenshot saved to ~/.fs2_open/screenshots (IIRC, they're somewhere in ~/.fs2_open at least, sorry, not at my main PC so I can't confirm that for you)

edit: confirmed that the location on Linux is ~/.fs2_open/screenshots/
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:38:21 am by niffiwan »
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Darius

I'll whip this along to the General Freespace forum.

Offline Darius

Ok, so I totally didn't.  :blah:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I was wondering what the heck this was. :lol:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Unfortunately the wiki has no explicitly-stated licence that I can find, so you probably can't use that.

Well there's another licensing issue I should have brought up last time. That needs fixing.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Someone please delete the Announcements MOVED topic, because it's now showing up in the mainpage as news. Then edit the original MOVED topic. Thanks. :)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
As far as I know, all of the screenshots on the wiki either came from A Celebration of FS, were uploaded by their original takers, or were uploaded after I spoke to the original authors, but there might be a few that I either forgot to or just didn't bother to talk to the original takers - in those cases, they would have come from another thread on here - or they were uploaded by someone else, which is relatively rare but does happen.

Unfortunately, those exceptions mean we can't just put a blanket license on the wiki images, since they don't all have explicit provenance, but I would say that 99 - 100% have been made publicly available in one form or another. I think this might be one of those situations where it's better to beg forgiveness than worry about asking permission. The odds of anyone being pissed off about their screenshot being used are likely to be really, really low, so a general credit to the FS Wiki and a link to the screenshots page should cover things most of the time - several of the shots on their already have attribution where the author is known and cares about it, and for any which aren't, it's a wiki, so it's easy enough for people to edit if they want their images credited.

For the benefit of the OP, the screenies we're talking about are here - http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Screenshots
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Thanks guys, ~/fs2open/screenshot/ is the right path. There they are.

BTW: Our Wiki uses the Creative-Commons licence. So I can now upload my own pictures.